Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that all motorcycle insurance doesn't cover rider's injury?
My 899 is coming this weekend so I was getting quotes from insurance companies and I contact my state farm car insurance agent and she told me so.
I think geico had body injury coverage when I went thru the online quotation.
Anyone has State Farm insurance and they cover your body injury?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it true that all motorcycle insurance doesn't cover rider's injury?
My 899 is coming this weekend so I was getting quotes from insurance companies and I contact my state farm car insurance agent and she told me so.
I think geico had body injury coverage when I went thru the online quotation.
Anyone has State Farm insurance and they cover your body injury?
What you're referring to is liability coverage.

Not only is what "she said" not true, but it is the opposite of the law in the US. You MUST have liability insurance to be out on the road, which will cover both part of your medical bills, and part of whoever else's bills may be involved in the incident.

Edit: Sorry, different insurance companies handle this different ways. My insurance has included medical payment coverage (which covers part of my bills) in addition to liability. My health insurance takes care of the remainder, which I suppose I was assuming you had.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Any motor insurance will not cover personal injury. My wife works in insurance and some insurers may offer a very small amount of coverage for personal injury but is not worth much. In the case of motorcycle insurance, the outcome of even a small accident will likely involve injury of some kind. That is why you HAVE to have the minimum of 3rd party insurance to cover any other injured party (including passengers). If you want personal injury insurance that is a completely separate policy......this is a single payout policy and only covers you for death, disability or suchlike. If you are talking about medical bills then that is private medical health insurance which i thought was pretty standard in US to have.......or dare i mention Obamacare?

The Mrs says that insurance laws in the US differ from state to state and that there are policies which cover 3rd party but to the bare legal minimum of that state.....this may not be enough in the event of someone suing you for $50 million.

Its a small amount to pay to have piece of mind.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just a point of interest.... here in hong kong, it is the VEHICLE that is insured, NOT the driver. So anyone can drive your car fully insured (unless you have a driver only policy) and in the event of an accident there is an extra excess to pay as it was not the policy holder driving. Even if the the driver who is not the policy holder is inexperienced (under 25yrs) there is an additional excess.

One good thing is that in the event of even the smallest prang, even if no damage occurs, you cannot move the vehicles and the police have to attend to issue a report. No bulls**t claims like in the UK....that is why my fully comp insurance for a BMW 335i convertible is less than £200 a year!
Fully comp for 899 was £650 (max of 30% NCD on bikes)

Sorry slightly off original topic......but bored sitting at home on my 42nd birthday!!:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.