Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...and OEM style battery tender plug, from diagnostic port.

So I saw in another battery tender thread that the Ducati branded battery maintainer / tender hooks up using a short lead into the diagnostic port. Thinking how useful it would be to have an additional power port in the trunk for charging cell phones on the go or possibly charging my helmet bluetooth headset on the bike with my tender using my other connection.

My first attempt involved just using some posi-tap connectors and splicing in an OEM lead.

Photo: version 1.0

While it was functional I had issue with how much room the posi-taps used and how inflexible it was. I also didn't like that it didn't have fuse unlike the OEM Ducati tender lead. Not wanting to have a hacked up looking DDA port I removed the connectors and returned it to stock even re-wrapping it in traction tape for that OEM look.

So for attempt #2 I purchased an OEM DDA lead from a 1098 on ebay for $10. I found suitable pins for plugging into the DDA by using pins for aftermarket HID bulbs and ballasts; they fit the DDA plugs perfectly. Then I just drilled out the spare cap which came with my extra DDA plug, soldered in a fuse holder and OEM tender lead and this is what I ended up with:

Photo: version 2.0

Plugged into the end is my Battery Tender 5v 2.1A USB outlet.

Action photos:

As you can see it's very flexible and tucks in the the trunk under panel with ease.

Total cost was $15.
Total time was 20 minutes

Cost breakdown: $10 for the OEM DDA wiring (optional) it's only used to get the extra cap in order to create a positive locking plug-in connection. $5 was spent for the fuse holder.

I had everything else on hand including the pins, wires, traction tape, solder, marine heat shrink, etc. For those interested doing this but who want an even more OEM finish you can purchase the DDA battery connector here:

connector DDA for Battery loading - Duc-Store

·
Registered
95 Posts
...and OEM style battery tender plug, from diagnostic port.

So I saw in another battery tender thread that the Ducati branded battery maintainer / tender hooks up using a short lead into the diagnostic port. Thinking how useful it would be to have an additional power port in the trunk for charging cell phones on the go or possibly charging my helmet bluetooth headset on the bike with my tender using my other connection.

My first attempt involved just using some posi-tap connectors and splicing in an OEM lead.

Photo: version 1.0

While it was functional I had issue with how much room the posi-taps used and how inflexible it was. I also didn't like that it didn't have fuse unlike the OEM Ducati tender lead. Not wanting to have a hacked up looking DDA port I removed the connectors and returned it to stock even re-wrapping it in traction tape for that OEM look.

So for attempt #2 I purchased an OEM DDA lead from a 1098 on ebay for $10. I found suitable pins for plugging into the DDA by using pins for aftermarket HID bulbs and ballasts; they fit the DDA plugs perfectly. Then I just drilled out the spare cap which came with my extra DDA plug, soldered in a fuse holder and OEM tender lead and this is what I ended up with:

Photo: version 2.0

Plugged into the end is my Battery Tender 5v 2.1A USB outlet.

Action photos:

As you can see it's very flexible and tucks in the the trunk under panel with ease.

Total cost was $15.
Total time was 20 minutes

Cost breakdown: $10 for the OEM DDA wiring (optional) it's only used to get the extra cap in order to create a positive locking plug-in connection. $5 was spent for the fuse holder.

I had everything else on hand including the pins, wires, traction tape, solder, marine heat shrink, etc. For those interested doing this but who want an even more OEM finish you can purchase the DDA battery connector here:

connector DDA for Battery loading - Duc-Store
What would you "charge" ha, ha to make me one??? :D

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool… I use a tender. I was referring to your USB powah. ;)
Yeah, the Ducati part is a kit and it comes with the DDA to SAE battery tender adapter.

It's also possible that the Optimate Ducati adapter (OptiMate O47 Sae) would work but I'm not 100% sure; that one is $33.

The actual USB portion is from Battery tender, it's an SAE USB adapter which is just over $10 on ebay or Amazon.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
+1 Warlord

We appreciate all the time you take to document and publish the work you do on your bike. This is what being a part of and contributing to a forum is all about. Thanks!

Well, that and the ribbing and having a good sense of humor...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
+1 Warlord

We appreciate all the time you take to document and publish the work you do on your bike. This is what being a part of and contributing to a forum is all about. Thanks!

Well, that and the ribbing and having a good sense of humor...
TY, I try contribute to the knowledge base as best as I can.

Also I'm waiting for the OptiMate O47 SAE adapter to arrive so I can see if does indeed fit and I'll post back. This is the item:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I ended up just getting the Battery Tender SAE cig lighter (female) plug. I'll pick up a dual USB input cig plug as well. Easier this way as I already had the connector off the battery…

Thanks for the tips…

B

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TY, I try contribute to the knowledge base as best as I can.

Also I'm waiting for the OptiMate O47 SAE adapter to arrive so I can see if does indeed fit and I'll post back. This is the item:

VERIFIED!!!

This is the correct adapter if you want to hook up any brand battery tender (that uses an SAE connector) to your trunk Ducati connector or just to access it for POWAH! It comes with a 15A fuse, same as what I was using on the one I made and FYI it's 12" in length.

Cost was $33 on ebay, part is OptiMate O47SAE

·
Registered
78 Posts
VERIFIED!!!

This is the correct adapter if you want to hook up any brand battery tender (that uses an SAE connector) to your trunk Ducati connector or just to access it for POWAH! It comes with a 15A fuse, same as what I was using on the one I made and FYI it's 12" in length.

Nice! Is this powered all the time, or only when the ignition is on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't do business with brainfry

Sweet. Enjoy it!

B
I PM'd you the other day. You did not respond. So I am going to warn the community about you and your evil ways.

Community:

Be warned when dealing with this member and any oourchase he might offer. I purchased a "NEW" tank bag for the 899 from this individual. He stated in this thread that it is new and undamaged. I purchased for $225.00. Not a great deal but a bit less than retail. I love once I figured out hot it properly mounted to the motorcycle. I did not notice the modifications the member made to the tank bag nor did he disclose the mods in his representation of the item he sold. So, what mods did he make to the tank bag you might ask. Well he damaged to webbing by drilling holes out side of the gromits damaging the mounting points of the takn bag. All three have intentionally been damaged in his attempts to "make it tighter".

View attachment 16802

View attachment 16794

View attachment 16810

I have asked him for a refund and he has chosen to ignore my request. So, I am posting this here and where evere he posts so the community knows not to purchase from him and to encourage him to return my funds for selling damaged parts.

Come on Brainfry, don't be a dick! give me back my money.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought a tail back from Brainfry a few months back and everything was fine with it ...but I remember he was also selling the tank bag witch I didn't have any interest into...was too pricey for me ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
VERIFIED!!!

I'm having a hard time finding this part... any leads? Looks like it dried up on eBay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Assuming I ordered the right part, but I bought one off of Amazon and it just shipped today.

Amazon.com: TecMate OptiMate O-47 Cable Adapter (DUCATI to SAE): Automotive

would i be right in assuming that i would also need to purchase an SAE to USB adaptor as well as the item in the link above?

also does anybody know if it is constantly drawing power even when not in use? i do not have electricity in my garage so wont be able to keep the bike on a batter tender and naturally in cautious about draining the battery.

an option might be so install a simple switch so i can break the cuircit effectivly turning it on and off but im no electrical wiazrd.

·
Registered
139 Posts
would i be right in assuming that i would also need to purchase an SAE to USB adaptor as well as the item in the link above?

also does anybody know if it is constantly drawing power even when not in use? i do not have electricity in my garage so wont be able to keep the bike on a batter tender and naturally in cautious about draining the battery.

an option might be so install a simple switch so i can break the cuircit effectivly turning it on and off but im no electrical wiazrd.
Yes. I believe I purchased the following: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1434557221&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+tender+081-0158+black+quick+disconnect+plug+with+usb+charger

I just plugged in my iPhone 6 and it started charging.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.