Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...otherwise known as how to use RAM mounts on the cheap.

Problem: The RAM mount B342 is an affordable RAM system mounting ball that uses a friction retention method to mount securely in a steering nut tube... our bikes don't have this tube available. If you try to mount this part using the installation instructions, it will not work.

Kit and items included:

Parts we'll keep for this install: The #4 10-32 SS allen head bolt and the RAM mount.

I purchased a 3/16 toggle nut, since I didn't seem to have the correct size in stock. The thread pitch of the toggle nut is 10-24, the pitch of the bolt in the kit is 10-32. In order for them to work together I carefully drilled out the toggle nut and tapped it for the correct pitch.

Bolt and nut, playing nicely:

I also purchased two 1" nitrile washers. Parts ready to assemble and ready to insert (you can see some thread damage that occurred when I just tried to force the nut on and realized it wasn't going to work with out drilling and tapping):

In this picture one nitrile washer will end up above the steering nut hole and the other will be under. It's just a matter of folding everything up, inserting through the hole, then tightening everything down.

Finished, the nitrile washer allows the rotation of the ram mount without scratching everything up:

In use:

Difficulty:
Easy

Time:
10 minutes to install

Cost:
$0.39 for the toggle nut
$0.39 ea. for the nitrile washers

Total=$1.17 plus the cost of the RAM mount

Pros:
~Easy and fast install
~Secure, will withstand over 200 Lbs of force
~Affordable and easily sourced parts to complete the install

Cons:
~Toggle nuts are only available in zinc-plated steel (usually 4 coat which is high quality) so it may eventually start to rust depending on conditions.
~It will be difficult (but not impossible) to re-fold the toggle nut and remove the mount if needed as it is a tight squeeze to install

Alternate Installation Method, for those who cannot or will not drill and tap the toggle nut to make things work:

Additional parts needed:

10-24 x 2 1/2" bolt -about $0.80

This bolt will work without modifying the toggle nut at all, the only downside is the use of a Phillips head which is not necessarily a bad thing. Installation is otherwise the same.

Special Thanks goes out to our supporting vendor and all-around cool guy Jarel @ Ducati of Omaha for providing the B342 mount for R&D!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excellent work sir!! :cool:

Ok, so I do have a few of these RAM B-342U steering stem kits in stock, if anyone wants one I'll do a special forum deal on them with free shipping for $16.

You can find them here:
http://www.motospecialties.com/store.asp?store=ducatiomaha&level=category&type=Superbike&type1=899 Panigale&type2=Cameras&category=Cameras&ItemNum=219090

Use the forum discount code 899FORUM to get the price!
Jarel, you dont happen to sell just the stems do you? I cut mine to short for my GSXR and it doesnt stay as firm as I would like it. I can swing by and scoop one up on my lunch break if you have em.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Jarel, you dont happen to sell just the stems do you? I cut mine to short for my GSXR and it doesnt stay as firm as I would like it. I can swing by and scoop one up on my lunch break if you have em.
No we don't have just the rubber stems separately, just the entire kit for $16.

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just ordered this earlier from you, Jarel (and a windscreen lol)... my question is this: I'm a newb to ram mounts, where can I find the corresponding mount for my Iphone 5? All I'm seeing are mounts with the ball attached already...

Btw, great writeup!
You can see all of the various mounts that RAM makes right on their web site:
RAM Motorcycle Mount

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for the great write up! I went to the hardware store and spent $1.50. It only took me about 5 minutes total to install. It seems nice and sturdy. I ended up getting the Phillips head screw because I don't mess with threads...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not bad at all! I originally got this. Instead, being lazy really, i got the one more organic to the bike that swaps nuts (was kind of a rip off $$$, but clean and strong). That said, this is awesome :cool:. If anyone directly in my area wants my extra part, pm me. It's just laying around.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is great! I am planning on ordering one as soon as I can get an answer to this question... With the "X-Grip" phone holder are you using the center piece in this picture also to connect the phone holder to the mount??

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is great! I am planning on ordering one as soon as I can get an answer to this question... With the "X-Grip" phone holder are you using the center piece in this picture also to connect the phone holder to the mount??
Yes, you need the double socket arm.....if you look on Amazon there are different lengths. I purchased the short arm, the overall length is 2.38". The longer one is 3.69". A matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, you need the double socket arm.....if you look on Amazon there are different lengths. I purchased the short arm, the overall length is 2.38". The longer one is 3.69". A matter of personal preference.
Yeah, I'm using the short arm too. In the forward position it keeps the phone display where I can see it and just behind the windscreen.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just noticed this article. I might modify mine like this too. I installed it the way suggested by the manual but left and extra few mm on the piece that slides into the slot so it doesn't fall right through. I have done 1300kms over some pretty rough roads and it has been fine, but I always make sure it is pushed down nice and tight. Would give me extra piece of mind doing it the way suggested in this article though. Thanks for the instructions!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts