Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. Looking to pick up an 899 and wanted to get yalls input.

I used to do track days a decent amount on a 2007 CBR 600. It was tracked out and not street legal. (just slicks, track fairing, exhaust, etc. basic stuff) I had sold all my bikes about 2 years ago as I was doing flight training with the hope of going to the airlines. Then COVID happened. So all my flight training has been put on hold indefinitely.

I picked up a 2020 KTM Duke 890R recently. I had always liked the SuperDuke 1290 but its too expensive and way too much bike for me. When I heard about the Duke 790 and then the Duke 890 I have always been wanting to get one. I did one track day on the 890R the other weekend. It is an awesome bike. It is super light (around 385 lbs. wet) and has a lot of torque (parallel twin), great power, electronics are ridiculous (lean angle traction control, quickshifter up/dwn, etc.), brembo brakes with very good stopping power and sticky tires. The bike is super agile.. to a point of maybe some instability in the corners. I never could get my lower body anchored as well a I could on my CBR. Also, even though I think a lot of naked bikes look good, after owning one I realized that I really do not like the lack of a windscreen. Getting obliterated by the wind is so exhausting.

Even before I made the Duke 890R purchase I was considering the Ducati 899. One of the most gorgeous bikes out there. I want a fairing bike that I can do track days on and the occasional street ride, but I want a twin. I really like the low/mid range of a twin as opposed to ringing the neck of a 4 cylinder. I have read quite a bit on the 899 and seems the bike does not have the low/mid torque you would expect on a twin. That being said, I would think it is still much better than a 4 cylinder.

1. Those of you that track your 899, how do you like it? How do you compare it to other bikes you have tracked?

2. Still have stock suspension?
How is the stability?

3. Overall Likes/Dislikes?

4. Power/Torque?

5. Issues you have?

There are 2 ducati 899's within 4-5 hours of where I live. Both of which are sub 2,000 miles. I prefer to buy a totally stock bike, which for the most part these are ( I think one of them has the OEM mirrors removed, which I would like to get. Hopefully he still has them)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pani 899 is a great track bike not a hp demon but stable and smooth delivery, I used one as a road track bike for years un modded but have one now with all the bits which has made big improvements in all areas. I have a gen 5 ZX10R as a track bike as well which is very fast, stable and quite easy to ride but it aint a DUC.
When I get back onto the 899 I feel comfortable and at home I've had Ducati superbikes since the 996 and have an 899 and 1199 so have a small addiction going on.
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_9087.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 8.56.00 pm.png

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input and nice photos! I am not wanting anything like liter bike speed. I would like something about as fast as a supersport 600, but have low/mid range torque that the 4 cylinder bikes do not have. At the end of the day, I really want a bike that I feel good on and can ride hard. Not being the fastest does not bother me but I do want to go fast. If I picked up an 899, I would want to keep it fairly stock at first. Have you had any major reliability issues? Or issues in general on your 899?

I found an 899 a few hours from me. Listed at $10,500 with less than 1500 miles. Looks to be totally stock. (which I want to buy one that is stock) Looks like 899's are going for $7500-$9500. So $10,500 seems a little high. Thoughts?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Stock they are a pretty good package and have found to be reliable I've had 2 899's a 959 and 1199 with no major issue. No advice on price because I'm from Australia and a good 899 is worth about 14,000AU

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found an 899 a few hours from me. Listed at $10,500 with less than 1500 miles. Looks to be totally stock. (which I want to buy one that is stock) Looks like 899's are going for $7500-$9500. So $10,500 seems a little high. Thoughts?
Difficult to say, too many factors (location/availability/conditions/tires/accessories) are influencing the price. Here in San Diego, I'd say $10,500 for an 899 is on the high side, but with less than 1500 miles means you're basically getting a brand new bike, so it's not insanely high. For what it's worth, I'm considering selling mine as I don't use it anymore: less than 6000 miles, showroom conditions and with few upgrades/accessories, and I would price it at $10,000 with the idea of not going below $9,500.

Only suggestion I have is to monitor your local Craigslist or check used inventory at local dealerships, and see what 899s are going for in your area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Difficult to say, too many factors (location/availability/conditions/tires/accessories) are influencing the price. Here in San Diego, I'd say $10,500 for an 899 is on the high side, but with less than 1500 miles means you're basically getting a brand new bike, so it's not insanely high. For what it's worth, I'm considering selling mine as I don't use it anymore: less than 6000 miles, showroom conditions and with few upgrades/accessories, and I would price it at $10,000 with the idea of not going below $9,500.

Only suggestion I have is to monitor your local Craigslist or check used inventory at local dealerships, and see what 899s are going for in your area.
Thanks for the input. KBB says a 2015 in good shape is worth about $9500. There is another 899 about 4 hours away for $9500 with about the same hours. This other one is closer.

Why are you selling yours?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the input. KBB says a 2015 in good shape is worth about $9500. There is another 899 about 4 hours away for $9500 with about the same hours. This other one is closer.
Why are you selling yours?
Because I don't use it anymore. I've been riding for 35+ years, street and dirt, and while I still very much enjoy MX, street riding has lost a bit of appeal for me. In any case, I am only CONSIDERING the idea of selling... not sure I'll ever find the courage: she's such a beautiful bike that - honestly - just looking at her makes me happy!!!

Go check out the bike closer to you and see if they are willing to negotiate on the price. At the same time, learn as much as you can - remotely - about the bike that is 4 hours away, then decide if it's worth the drive. There is a lot of garbage out there, so don't be afraid to ask all sort of questions: you're interviewing the owner as much as you're checking the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because I don't use it anymore. I've been riding for 35+ years, street and dirt, and while I still very much enjoy MX, street riding has lost a bit of appeal for me. In any case, I am only CONSIDERING the idea of selling... not sure I'll ever find the courage: she's such a beautiful bike that - honestly - just looking at her makes me happy!!!

Go check out the bike closer to you and see if they are willing to negotiate on the price. At the same time, learn as much as you can - remotely - about the bike that is 4 hours away, then decide if it's worth the drive. There is a lot of garbage out there, so don't be afraid to ask all sort of questions: you're interviewing the owner as much as you're checking the bike.
I just called up a local dealer near me to see what a service would run. The bike has less than 1500 miles, but the rep said because of the time it would need a fairly involved service. He said about $1,800!!!!! What?!? That seems very high for a 5 year old bike sub 1500 miles. I understand oils would probably need to be changed out, brake fluid, etc.

What are your thoughts on that? I would not think they are having to mess with the valves at this mileage regardless of the age? I don't know what else would drive the cost up so high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just called up a local dealer near me to see what a service would run. The bike has less than 1500 miles, but the rep said because of the time it would need a fairly involved service. He said about $1,800!!!!! What?!? That seems very high for a 5 year old bike sub 1500 miles. I understand oils would probably need to be changed out, brake fluid, etc.

What are your thoughts on that? I would not think they are having to mess with the valves at this mileage regardless of the age? I don't know what else would drive the cost up so high.
Total BS, in classic dealership style. Similar to most other bikes, there's maintenance on the 899 that you need to do because of TIME, maintenance you need to do because of MILEAGE, maintenance you need to do because of TIME OR MILEAGE (whichever comes first). Find the Owner's Manual online and see for yourself.

The 899 you're looking at is 5 years old and has only 1500 miles. Per maintenance chart, the bike would need:
  • Oil & filter (every 12 months or 7,500 miles)
  • Clutch and Brake flush (every 24 months)
  • Coolant flush (every 36 months)
  • Front fork fluid (every 36 months)
Absolutely no need to touch the valves, those are purely based on mileage (every 15,000 miles).

Personal opinion: oil & filter is the only item you must do, unless you have proof it was done recently. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a very easy job.
Clutch, brake and coolant flush is recommended but you don't have to do it right away, you can use the bike for some time and then do it. Again, not difficult to do yourself.
Front fork... I would not touch them just to replace the oil. If you're planning to track your bike, you might end up needing some suspension tuning (e.g. stiffer springs), and you'll change the oil then. I replaced the fork seals on my 899 (one side had a minor leak), but it's not an easy job and you need some specialized tools.

If you cannot or simply don't want to do maintenance yourself, find a good independent mechanic in your area. All the things I mentioned above are pretty basic, any decent mechanic would do a good job, without charging you $1800.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Total BS, in classic dealership style. Similar to most other bikes, there's maintenance on the 899 that you need to do because of TIME, maintenance you need to do because of MILEAGE, maintenance you need to do because of TIME OR MILEAGE (whichever comes first). Find the Owner's Manual online and see for yourself.

The 899 you're looking at is 5 years old and has only 1500 miles. Per maintenance chart, the bike would need:
  • Oil & filter (every 12 months or 7,500 miles)
  • Clutch and Brake flush (every 24 months)
  • Coolant flush (every 36 months)
  • Front fork fluid (every 36 months)
Absolutely no need to touch the valves, those are purely based on mileage (every 15,000 miles).

Personal opinion: oil & filter is the only item you must do, unless you have proof it was done recently. If you're mechanically inclined, it's a very easy job.
Clutch, brake and coolant flush is recommended but you don't have to do it right away, you can use the bike for some time and then do it. Again, not difficult to do yourself.
Front fork... I would not touch them just to replace the oil. If you're planning to track your bike, you might end up needing some suspension tuning (e.g. stiffer springs), and you'll change the oil then. I replaced the fork seals on my 899 (one side had a minor leak), but it's not an easy job and you need some specialized tools.

If you cannot or simply don't want to do maintenance yourself, find a good independent mechanic in your area. All the things I mentioned above are pretty basic, any decent mechanic would do a good job, without charging you $1800.

Thanks for the input. Yea, I downloaded an 899 owners manual and saw the same thing. Also, I do not see anything mentioning the use of a belt on the bike. According to the manual there is a timing chain and not a timing belt. The guy at the dealership said I needed a Desmo service. Which from what I have read now appears to be when you do the valve service (desmodromic)? Yea, like you said the manual indicates only based on mileage and it is 15,000 at that.

The bike is not under warranty, so I would try to do a lot of things myself. I am not an expert mechanic but I have always done the basics to my motorcycles/dirtbikes. (oil, brake, coolant, etc.) I will try to do some of this stuff on my own. I probably will still take it to a dealership to make sure all the software is up to date on the ECU.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You won't need any software updates and you can take your time and do all these minor maintenance jobs yourself, you won't need any dealer involvement at this stage. 120CCPM is spot on with the advice and working on these sweet little things is wonderful. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I posted a message earlier but it's been flagged for review because I made too many edits... :-(
Let me paste it here, hopefully it will go through:

Oil & filter: super easy, buy the oil, the filter, crush washer and o-rings. Ducati of Omaha or AMS Ducati Dallas are popular places to buy OEM parts online. Only suggestion: when you remove the screws holding the filter cover, you will see that the holes are threaded: if you have a couple M8 screws around, you attach them to the cover and it makes very easy to pull it out. Look for videos on YouTube, easier to see than to describe it with words. Ducati recommends Shell Advance 4T Ultra, but any good 15W50 oil will do. I personally use Motul 5100, on street & dirt bikes.

Brake & Clutch Flush: nothing unusual there. One suggestion, not specific to the 899: use a syringe to suck the fluid out of the reservoir, then add new fluid and do the flush, continuously adding new fluid to keep the level up. This way, you start the flush with 100% fresh fluid in the reservoir, and you don't risk getting air into the system, trying to drain the old fluid. Once you see clear fluid coming out from the bleed screw, you're done. For brakes, push the caliper pistons all the way in (carefully pushing the pads away from the rotor) before doing the flush. Regular DOT 4 fluid, nothing special.

Coolant: I have not done it yet on my 899, but from what I have seen it's very easy, as there is a drain bolt on the lower radiator. Refilling the system is a bit of a pain because of the fairing, but that's about it. Ducati recommends the ENI/Agip Permanent Spezial Coolant, and I suggest you stick with it: unless you do a full flush, literally purging all the old fluid from the system by "washing" it with demineralized water a couple times, you will always have some old coolant remaining in there. Using the same brand/type of coolant will ensure 100% compatibility.

ECU: if ain't broken, don't fix it. If you want to be able to read error codes and reset the service reminders, look at MelcoDiag. I recently posted some tips for a guy who asked about it, see this thread. Software is free, you need to invest in an ODB reader (right type!!!) and an adapter cable. Completely worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys. I appreciate all the input. I am quite confident I can do most of the basic maintenance. Good call on the coolant. Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to buy this particular bike now though. The seller has the title but I just learned that it is in the 1st owners name. (The current seller is owner #2)

The bike also had a lien. He says he has a release of lien from the lienholder on their letterhead, but I have yet to see it. I have bought and sold dirtbikes from people who title jump. Probably half the used dirtbikes for sale do not have a title or have not been updated to current owner. But a road bike that I would need to transfer title and register, this makes me very nervous. I was reading about title jumping and everything I read says do not buy a bike that the seller does not have title in THEIR name.

I have messaged several other sellers on FB marketplace about 899 and 959 for sale. It seems almost all of them either (1.) Do not have title in their name or (2.) Have a lien on the bike. Just not something I want to get involved with for fear of having issuing titling the bike in my name.

I did find another 2015 899, around 1,200 miles. Bike appears stock with exception of the OEM mirrors are removed and has a tail tidy. I would want to get OEM mirrors put back on. The only thing is it is an out of state bike. So I would have to do an out of state title transfer, but that should not be too difficult.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a process, keep your eyes open, check also the local Craigslist and Cycle Trader. Agreed about avoiding title/lien issues, you might find yourself in very complicated situations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts