Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any easy way to do it by my self?

Ive seen ramps.. but that looks scary doing by my self.. also seen that electric one... but I dont want to have it in the truck all the time..

Any other solutions?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I use a long arched ramp and load and unload by myself. The truck is really pretty tall, so if you have a shorter truck a shorter ramp will work OK.

Finding a dip or a small hill helps tons. Get the tailgate as close (vertically) to the ground as possible. I use the crown of the road and the curb at my house to make loading and unloading pretty easy.

Another trick I use is to put the bike in gear. To unload I put the bike in gear and pull in the clutch. When I'm at the edge of the tailgate I let the clutch out so the bike stays in place, then I hop off the tailgate. Once I'm firmly on the ground I pull the clutch back in and guide the bike the rest of the way down. It takes some practice, but I don't have any trouble doing it.

In the truck I use soft ties girth hitched around the handle bars and some non-ratcheting tie down straps for the front of the bike. The bed of my truck is shorter than the bike, so I turn the bike to the side so that the tailgate can go up, then I pull the bike back so the rear tire wedges against the tailgate. This has proven a very sturdy way of transporting motorcycles. Between racing, working on bikes, helping out friends and whatnot I probably load a motorcycle into the back of my truck 50-60 times a year, and I use these methods every time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there any easy way to do it by my self?

Ive seen ramps.. but that looks scary doing by my self.. also seen that electric one... but I dont want to have it in the truck all the time..

Any other solutions?
If I have to do it myself (which used to be the norm before I bought a trailer) I find a slight embankment (could be a shallow ditch or a raised sidewalk), back the truck up until the tailgate is level with the ground, and drive right up.
Once an a while I might have to span a short gap with a piece of wood or something.
It's not bad; just get creative.;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@rybo : How tall is your truck? I have a raptor.. and its taller then the regular trucks.. also bouncy cuz of my suspension.. what size ramp do you use?

guys.. Ive seen those "FAIL motor cycle loading to a truck".. I just dont want to be that guy..LOL

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
@Catiken

The truck I have is a 2500 Ram 4x4. I'm guessing the tailgate is at least as high up as the one on your Raptor.

I use one of these: Ready Ramp Bed Extender. It's a much older version, and is 8 ft long with an arch in it that helps with the break-over angle. I've decided that the bed extender function doesn't really suit me, but it might work for you. I just use it as a ramp these days, so it's a pretty expensive solution. This may be a somewhat cheaper option that meets your needs - Aluminum Single Motorcycle Ramp Systems

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts