Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a desperate reach and I also know that some of you guys are going to jump to conclusions like you did the last time I brought up another way of solving a similar problem but I’m just trying to find the easiest route to titling my bike in Utah with a lost Texas title. I have pictures of the title that I was just lucky enough to have saved because I sent them to my insurance agent to get a quote... then in a subsequent move I lost the title along with the bill of sale. Anyway, my real question is, is there a database in which the Ducati dealerships or states have that can help me track down the previous owner to get a new bill of sale or even better, have him get me a duplicate title (with a few bucks given to him for his time, of course). I have his name and even address but the original dealer won’t help me with a phone number because although I have all that info right on the pic of the title, I don’t have a matching phone number to what he has (although I have multiple numbers linked to that address)... and he wouldn’t let me give him the three most likely numbers, so I can at least eliminate them... he only let me check one against his info and it caught me off guard. Most of the problem when it comes to just tracking the guy down stems from the fact that the previous owner has a VERY common Hispanic name and he lives in the San Antonio area (Which doesn’t help) and so I just can’t find this guy anywhere. I’ve tried it all. By now, I could have just had an officer come down and check out the bike, submit my paperwork to the Utah DMV and have it registered that way... but, As luck would have it, I was hit directly from behind by a rider on a Aprilia doing well over 140mph back in April (who evidently had no business being on any bike) while I was exiting the highway on my Triumph 675 Daytona (doing about 25-35mph)... So, I have spent the last 6 months in and out of hospitals having surgery after surgery to fix my feet and ankles. So, a lot of normal avenues like that are kinda out of reach for me right now. And, even If I can get my Panigale out of storage and have the officer start that process, the Utah DMV says that will still probably not get me registered for another 9 months... maybe a year. Anyway, do any of you geniuses/dealer salesman/managers/owners... whatever have any ideas for me? It would really help me out. My triumph is a mess and the Pani has just over 700 miles on the odometer. So, as soon as I can get on a bike again, I want it to be ready. To be honest, if it wasn’t for my attorney telling me not to ride until the insurance issues are settled, I’d already be back on the bike right now. But like I said, I need some help if that’s going to happen. Even if it’s just a point in the right direction. Texas DMV obviously couldn’t give me any personal info in the guy... but all I need is a current cell number. I know I’ve dragged this out... I have a tendency to do that. But, last time I was seriously offended when I was accused of owning a stolen motorcycle. I restore vintage British and other interesting European motorcycles. So, even if I didn’t take a hit on my moral constitution personally, my reputation and ethics aren’t something I’m willing to debate with anyone. But hey... I think that was on a different forum and it was when I was in the market for this bike and I was looking at bringing a Pani in from Canada at a very reasonable price. Anyway. Bla bla bla. Any ideas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If everything is 100% legit and a bill of sale is all you really need to get the bike registered, make one up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s funny that you say that because you’re not the first person to say that and I’m thinking I actually may have to do it. The Texas titles have his signature on front and the Lien holder (bank) stamp showing it’s cleared of that is right there as well... so, it would be fairly easy to do a signature that is pretty close. I hate not doing things 100% legit... but, I suppose that’s how things have to be done sometimes. I was really hoping there is a Ducati America database with his phone number though just to make it completely on the level. But we do what we have to do sometimes, I suppose. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think all I have to have in Utah is a bill of sale... even on an out of state motorcycle. I’ll have to look into that

1 - 4 of 4 Posts