Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slightly weird question perhaps, but my new 899 is causing me a bit of tinnitus (I think my age is showing). Is there a simple (or not) way of making it a little bit quieter ? :eek: Dont mind if it involves a little cost.

RBW.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Earplugs? :)

Seriously though, I've had tinnitus for a while now and when I wear plugs there's less ringing in the ears that night when I'm trying to get to sleep.

Reactions: Cerec1

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Earplugs? :)

Seriously though, I've had tinnitus for a while now and when I wear plugs there's less ringing in the ears that night when I'm trying to get to sleep.
Yes, seriously earplugs.

My Monster is slightly louder and I found that it wasn't the exhaust, but the wind noise that was causing my ears to ring. Even with a helmet, at 45+ MPH my rides would end up causing my hearing to suffer.

Etymotic Research make some great filtered earplugs that do not muffle the sound. Instead they lower the dB level across the board so you can still hear clearly. I think V-MODA have come out with some as well. I paid $11 online and picked up a few sets and now travel with them, etc.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Reactions: alfredogtx

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
No one has mentioned just having your ear doctor make you a custom set of plugs for $100. Nothing will ever fit or work like a pair custom molded for your exact ear.
The OP already stated that he has custom ear plugs... I was thinking of getting some made myself, but now I am not so sure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It may not be the bike sound that is causing you issues. Try some different helmets. I find that if they do not fit snugly around my neck the noise is greater. Take your hand and put it along the bottom of the helmet and see if that helps. You could put something in there like a wash cloth and see if the noise level goes down. Another thing you might try is a taller windscreen to cut down on the volume of air passing under the helmet.

Hope this helps.

When I took my test ride the first question I asked if it was a Termignoni exhaust and was shocked that the stock one would sound that loud. Not complaining just surprised.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Soft resin earplugs

Have you tried the soft resin (usually orange) shooting earplugs. For me they always reduced noise to near nothing, as they are very maleable and fit super tight in the the ear canal. for me they took all the high end noise out and left just low sounds, which for me tended not to cause ringing. I play in a band also, so understand the tennitis. Tends to get more frequent if you dont find a solution. Good luck.
QUOTE=rainbow-walker;110441]Slightly weird question perhaps, but my new 899 is causing me a bit of tinnitus (I think my age is showing). Is there a simple (or not) way of making it a little bit quieter ? :eek: Dont mind if it involves a little cost.

RBW.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1

THat too....wind noise.

It may not be the bike sound that is causing you issues. Try some different helmets. I find that if they do not fit snugly around my neck the noise is greater. Take your hand and put it along the bottom of the helmet and see if that helps. You could put something in there like a wash cloth and see if the noise level goes down. Another thing you might try is a taller windscreen to cut down on the volume of air passing under the helmet.

Hope this helps.

When I took my test ride the first question I asked if it was a Termignoni exhaust and was shocked that the stock one would sound that loud. Not complaining just surprised.

Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going back to the original post, of how to make the bike a little quieter:

I noticed that my 899 was considerably quieter after the first service. Apparently they updated the map which closes the valves more in the exhaust at idle / low revs.

The post is here if interested in more: http://www.899panigale.org/forum/89...ssion/8537-quieter-after-first-service-2.html

Before this even after 10 mins, my ears would start ringing (and we are not talking wind noise here). Now, unless I am going for longer/high wind blasts, I find that I don't really need ear plugs anymore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.