Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an area where the police are total bastards about exhausts. I can only run slip-ons if they come with a certificate of homologation, which I can then produce at the roadside. If not, I get a ticket and depending on their discretion, they can cancel my Revisione (certificate of roadworthiness) and make me go for an inspection. This has happened to me once before and its something I never want to have to go through again!

Therefore, does anyone think or has anyone heard that a manufacturer is ever going to produce a homolgated, road legal exhaust for the 899??? I want to change the exhaust so bad but without that certificate I can't. I've emailed Mivv, Leo Vinci, Arrow, Zard and Yoshimura but only Arrow wrote back saying 'no' so far....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
you're in Italy? and you can't get an aftermarket exhaust legally?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yea, i'm shock. I mean most of the cars i want are from your country and their engines are sweat sounding loudness.

Most after market exhaust states that they are made for close circuit use. Depending on country laws they would have to subject their creation to local laws for extra inspection and testing to get certificate for legal road use. Thats a whole lot of money that they can bypass by saying "for close circuit use only".

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't like your chances mate. Sorry.

Every aftermarket exhaust I have ever fitted has said the same thing. Arrow, Akro, Termi to name a few.
Although Akro do the catalytic converter insert to keep emissions legal so I thought they would have something.

You could modify you stock cans but that's probably just asking for a work order aswell.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.... There is usually always an 'omologato' option with exhausts here in Italy. They come with the certificate that states they're road legal and gets the police off your back.
I thinking this morning that with all previous Ducati superbikes, the exhausts have always been much of muchness across models so I guess it has paid the manufacturers to get it through testing. But Panigale cans are so new, different and the actual bike numbers out there are so few that its just not worth it at the moment. It usually takes a while but I'm hoping they will get there in the end - there are now full systems available for the 848 for example that are fully homologated for road use! This would be a massive deal to me if I owned an 848 EVO (which is what I was going to buy before the dealer said 'don't make a decision until you try the Panigale!!!!!!)

SCARICO COMPLETO LEOVINCE FACTORY EVO 2 TITANIO DUCATI 848 OMOLOGATO 08-12 | WRS

·
Registered
677 Posts
I live in an area where the police are total bastards about exhausts. I can only run slip-ons if they come with a certificate of homologation, which I can then produce at the roadside. If not, I get a ticket and depending on their discretion, they can cancel my Revisione (certificate of roadworthiness) and make me go for an inspection. This has happened to me once before and its something I never want to have to go through again!
We have the exact problem here in Singapore. Homologated with a certificate or it's a sizeable fine and off to a troublesome back-to-stock conversion and inspection. The cops came down so hard on Ducatis with termis a year or so ago that almost everyone who was daily riding their bikes reverted to stock and there was a flood of cheap termis in the classifieds.

I was browsing the 1299 forum today and saw jarelj's comment about the new Akra for the Panigale R: "Several have asked, so here it is: CONFIRMED - In the U.S. the 2015 Panigale R will come with full Ti Akra homologated exhaust ONLY" I can only hope this becomes an option we can buy aftermarket for the 899.

PS: I watched Top Gear's Perfect Road Trip 2 last night and couldn't believe how beautiful the Amalfi Coast is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, its good news that a homologated exhaust is in the pipeline even if only for the R... I think it will take a year or so for anything decent to trickledown for our 899s.

But its no hardship for now because the bike sounds awesome as stock! And the money can be spent (more wisely perhaps) on lightweight wheels in the meantime :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was just telling vyruz

the more i think about it i just cant justify a exhaust...they are kinda a waste of money IMO for the 899.
just hear me out lol on every other bike i would say sure why not because the exhaust is not as integrated so they are cheap. on my two past bikes (cbr 600 f4i ,600RR) i think i paid like 500 or 600 for slip ons so i am ok with the minimal gains

but on the 899 your cheapest option is termi slips for $2000 and for what?
( i have rode a bike with them) and gotta say its not that different

sound: a little better for sure but not that much not like jap bikes those are really quiet stock
HP: a whopping 5hp if youre lucky
weight : the best part but still not worth 2k.....i would rather go on a diet for free and drop a few LBS lol
Throttle: supposed to smooth it out but i couldn't tell the difference
looks: they look cool i guess with the TI and carbon bits but i feel the stock looks better
clean and simple and the lines/shape flow better with the rest of the bike

Reactions: Thegecko

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't get me wrong, I want to change my exhaust asap for reasons of more power, less weight, better looks and sound. I would have had it done before I had even collected the bike, its just that there isn't a homologated one available yet and as I say, the police here love a non approved can!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The exhaust are available but in ducati's site it states is 1299 only and not homolagated which is weird cause the R brings it stock.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The exhaust are available but in ducati's site it states is 1299 only and not homolagated which is weird cause the R brings it stock.
The guy below installed the 1299 Akra (you can see it has the Ducati Performance logo on the cans) on his 899. Don't know why he went this route since the 1299 one is significantly more expensive than the old Akras designed for the 899/1199.

As for the R having it stock, I was told by the Ducati dealership here that they are having a lot of trouble getting it approved by the local transport agency here. They are having to sell the R by informing prospective buyers that the exhaust is not street-legal despite it being apparently 'homologated'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The guy went with the ones by Ducati for the same reason I'm looking for one. Which is, assuming it's homolagated for the R than it should be street legal for the 899...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do you have any buddies with a certification letter? Why not just photshop one and print one off yourself? Is a cop on the roadside really going to know the difference?

Any special stamp or embossing on the letter? Get a buddy to "lose" his certificate letter and get another one to replace and give you an original?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have any buddies with a certification letter? Why not just photshop one and print one off yourself? Is a cop on the roadside really going to know the difference?

Any special stamp or embossing on the letter? Get a buddy to "lose" his certificate letter and get another one to replace and give you an original?
My problems is not the cops, every 2 years we have to pass a government vehicle examination. I do not have a document for my current exhaust but they do have ducati stamped in them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My problems is not the cops, every 2 years we have to pass a government vehicle examination. I do not have a document for my current exhaust but they do have ducati stamped in them.
In that case, why not use non-homologated slip-ons, and switch back to the stock ones once every two years at examination?

We have inspections here as well. If my only concern was the annual inspection, I'd be running slip-ons for sure and get them to switch before inspection.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In that case, why not use non-homologated slip-ons, and switch back to the stock ones once every two years at examination?

We have inspections here as well. If my only concern was the annual inspection, I'd be running slip-ons for sure and get them to switch before inspection.
Well the deal is I live in an apartment complex and do not have a garage. But if I could install the complete system and have my stock exhaust easily changed for the akras that would be awesome. I just haven't had a way to verify is this was posible...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well the deal is I live in an apartment complex and do not have a garage. But if I could install the complete system and have my stock exhaust easily changed for the akras that would be awesome. I just haven't had a way to verify is this was posible...
I see. The performance gains with a full system aren't really there (other than saving another 2kg and having nicer looking pipes), so might be easier just to go with a slip-on. That can be relatively easily installed and removed.

Not tempted to go with the Akra slip-on? :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The price difference was minimal for slip and full system. So i would rather go with the full system for the looks and the weight saving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the slip on on the 2015 1199 r is a titanium akrapovic exhaust but has the same design like the stock cans of the 1299. this one is road legal, but only fits with the 1299 headers.

the other akra you can buy regularly has no certificate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts