Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times when it's nice to **** my helmet to the bike. Mostly at meets so I don't have to hang the helmet off the mirror or worry about someone bumping it and it falling.

In the back of the manual it says there is a decal saying that the helmet lock is under the seat.

Traditionally there's a hook under the passenger seat. I cannot find anything that would be such lock. When I was at the dealer a few weeks back that came up empty handed too.

I may craft my own but was curious where this lock is or what you all do for locking.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was also looking at the Sato racing lock, but I don't like the idea of locking my helmet that close to the exhaust knowing how hot it gets while riding.

Someone on the 1199 forum came up with the idea of using a Pistol lock, passing the cable through the triple tree clamp and then passing it through the opening for the shield.

Here is the link: Any clever ways to lock your helmet to your bike? - Ducati 1199 Forum

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was also looking at the Sato racing lock, but I don't like the idea of locking my helmet that close to the exhaust knowing how hot it gets while riding.

Someone on the 1199 forum came up with the idea of using a Pistol lock, passing the cable through the triple tree clamp and then passing it through the opening for the shield.

Here is the link: Any clever ways to lock your helmet to your bike? - Ducati 1199 Forum
I haven't tried it, but I think that Helmetlok I posted would go through the triple tree and D-rings on the helmet without issue (but cannot confirm just yet ;)).

·
Registered
480 Posts
I carry a 6' Python lock from Master, which stores easily and cinches down to almost any length. You can use to lock not only your helmet, but your jacket as well if you don't feel like carrying it around.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
**** this looks familiar...haha....

I didn't see anything in the manual about a lock

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

what about the one that goes on the handle bars?

the thing that sucks about all these is having to carry an extra key. I've got enough of those on my hip already.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My bad. It's actually in the 2014 spare parts cat.

I've been just snapping the chin strap around the suspension can to hang it when I am parked for a short time. Generally I end up bringing it in with me if I'm gonna be still for a while.

And hanging it there works fine. But if I need to Cary a second helmet for a passenger I resort to a backpack for now. Motor vehicle Line art Text Drawing Font

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think I'm gonna pick up one of those gun cake locks...... Or see if I can fabricate something to go in the seat. As in thinking bout it, you could really just keep a lock with you, put the lock through the d-rings, and leave that end in the seat. It replicates a helmet lock under the seat. They wouldn't be able to pull the helmet off. They'd have to cut it.... In which case, if they wanted it that bad, they'd probably have the means to cut through a cable lock too

·
Registered
150 Posts
I know this is an old subject, and by now everyone probably came up with solutions that work for them. I've been using the Helmetlok through the passenger peg bracket:

It works okay, but it's needlessly complicated, that the bracket is pretty big and the lock has to be positioned just so to feed the d-ring through, etc. So I've been cooking a couple of ideas that I wanted to try out, and here's one of them:

·
Registered
78 Posts
There's a cable underneath the passenger seat. You can thread it through your D-rings and then back under the seat.

After you put the passenger seat back it's kinda secured by this.
Haven't used it yet though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is locking the helmet to the bike to protect from theft or more to prevent the helmet from falling off the bike and onto the pavement?

It's always a bit worrying to have an $700 helmet with $160 Sena literally just lying on top of my motorcycle held by nothing but gravity.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is locking the helmet to the bike to protect from theft or more to prevent the helmet from falling off the bike and onto the pavement?

It's always a bit worrying to have an $700 helmet with $160 Sena literally just lying on top of my motorcycle held by nothing but gravity.
For me, it's when I go to a grocery store or something, just hate to carry around my helmet, and don't want to make it too easy to be stolen either. Yep, I go grocery shopping on my Panigale (currently it's the only mode of transport that I have, 3 other bikes are in all different states of disrepair, and my car is in a shop with a clutch related recall).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Both, but I'd only use it in relatively busy areas. It's not super secure with this cable, but you'd be quite ballsy when just trying to rip the helmet off this cable.
As for the falling part, let's face it our bikes are just luring the people in for a closer look.
Knocking over the helmet will never be the persons purpose but securing it is just common sense.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.