Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Anybody have a picture of the servo plug that you unplug? I can see the round servo where the cable is inserted, but where's the plug that you unplug?

Once unplugged, y'all say you dont get a CEL.... but do you zip tie the loose plug connections then?

Then I'm wondering if they make a dummy plug so that dirt and crap doesn't get into the OEM connectors in case you want to reconnect in future?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks bp1718, that helps ALOT! Cool, its protected somewhat by the lower fairing it seems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Over the weekend, I removed the butterfly valve and shaft, and sealed the bush holes. I also removed the servo motor, and although I haven't ridden the bike yet, I have started it up, and I also have no error code showing. I wonder if, although the manual says that it will display a exhaust servo motor fault, it actually only shows it when the dealer checks the bike at service time.

Maybe it's an Italian thing, telling the EU authorities that if the servo fails it will throw a code, but in reality, they are secretly happy when you get rid of the strangulation valve!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pure conjecture, but I think the dealer's computer has advanced features which can dive more deeply into each individual function of the components of the bike. The generic OBD codes aren't as specific.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You could just seal it with some electrical tape.
Sorry for the dumb question ...is the 25 marked on picture plug what you disconnect ? I'm confused why it showned as a drawing in the picture ? Or it can't be directly seen ...it's hidden behind ? Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Its from a service manual made by Italians.

If you take off the lower left fairing and reference the picture things should be obvious.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another option is to install the RexXer map which stops the exhaust flapper servo shutting the flapper. Then if you want you can also remove the exhaust flapper servo (gets rid of a little more weight) and of course because it has been correctly disabled in the ECU you won't get any error codes from removing the servo....Bonus is that you also get the RexXer performance map at the same time at no extra charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 899 with the termi slip ons. It's only just hit the 4.5km mark with the baffles out - it definitely doesn't NEED to be any louder than that imo - any louder and I don't think I would actually hear other safety necessities. But I live in Australia - anything louder than the termis - I'll probably get a ticket.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't know if it's just mine or not, the cable seized and damaged the plastic puller on the servo, so I said the whole thing bye-bye.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Decided to do this mod this morning, just cuz...

Level 1 - disconnect cable at the flapper valve. This will force the flapper open all the time.
Level 2 - remove the servo motor, zip tie cable out of the way. You have to cut a bunch of zip ties in the process, so be sure to secure them afterwards.
Level 3 - remove the flapper valve cable. To do this, you have to cut the cable in half or remove the exhaust, which is a PITA on this bike. There are two circlips holding the flapper end of the cable to the bracket welded to the exhaust header. Knock these off and then you can drift the end of the cable out of the bracket with a screwdriver and mallet. Remove the plastic cover and the cable falls off.
Level 4 - remove the flapper valve. Honestly, this is overkill. But I decided to do it "while I'm in there". You have to drill out the two screws holding the flapper on to the bar connected to the spring mechanism. To get the bar out would be a faff, so I just secured it in the open position with the original nut that was part of the spring mechanism.

After any one of levels 1-3 you could call it job done, pat yourself on the back and have a cold beverage.

When you are done you have another a small pile to add to your "useless motorcycle parts" bin in the garage. This servo-flapper valve mess is a great example of pointless engineering and manufacturing, all in the service of passing an arbitrary noise requirement. I put it in the same league as the VW diesel emissions software cheat. Hard to believe this even legal. If the exhaust is too loud, it's too loud. So, make it quieter from the get go.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 105 Posts