Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, someone got angry at me and shoved my bike over off its stand and into the ground on its right side.

Luckily when I went back to the house to pick it back up, I didn't notice any damage, however, it started dripping gas from underneath the engine block and out of the bottom where the lower fairings come together.

Is this a sign of a more serious issue or could laying on its side that way for about 45 minutes cause gas to pool somehow or come out of the tank and just drip out when I set it back upright? This all happened after my dealer service center was closed so I won't be able to have it looked at until they open. I'm kind of nervous to drive it over (10 miles) because of this and wonder if I should just arrange to have it towed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

At least the first time my bike went down wasn't by accident. 馃憤

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Registered
So long story short, someone got angry at me and shoved my bike over off its stand and into the ground on its right side.

Luckily when I went back to the house to pick it back up, I didn't notice any damage, however, it started dripping gas from underneath the engine block and out of the bottom where the lower fairings come together.

Is this a sign of a more serious issue or could laying on its side that way for about 45 minutes cause gas to pool somehow or come out of the tank and just drip out when I set it back upright? This all happened after my dealer service center was closed so I won't be able to have it looked at until they open. I'm kind of nervous to drive it over (10 miles) because of this and wonder if I should just arrange to have it towed.

I'm no expert (definitely not) but most vehicles that are turned over/rolled or suchlike, i my opinion, will leak petrol.....this may be caused by damage.
Even thought the tank is a sealed unit there may be a safety overflow and/ or pressure release on the cap. I have never overflowed when filling.

Here is an exert from another forum:

"FINALLY- I undid the air cleaner drain tube and a load of what i thought was water poured out, so i plugged it back up, then I realised it was petrol! Now things start to fit together a bit: When I get home from work I always fill up the bike with petrol and I definitely overfilled the tank last time (I always wondered where the overflow went as it never seems to drain out of the bottom of the bike, so now I guess it's pouring into the engine and then in to the air cleaner. I've now taken out the air filter and it's soaked in petrol...

I just read in the handbook "Never overfill the petrol tank" (whoops!) Can I have done any damage? "

Here is another: - (note - this states carbs when our bikes are fuel injected)
"Most bikes will loose fuel when on their sides from the carb float bowl overfill (remedied by turning the fuel taps off) and from the tank breather (sometimes possible to route the hose up or cap it off/pinch it off). Many four strokes will also have oil issues - usually oil coming out the crank case breather system and into the airbox."

I am our resident of all Ducati knowledge JarelJ might be able to shed light on this.

I would definitely get a professional opinion as starting with fuel in places it shouldn't might be could cause damage if it's mixed with oil or even a overheat/fire risk. Especially if its got in the airfilter and being wet will not do its job - not sure of the implications of this. Hopefully worse case is it just needs a bit of a clean and air filter replaced or other consumable parts.

As i said I'm no expert, just trying to help!

Registered
Main thing is when you stand the bike up is there still fuel leaking out of it or not? If so, trailer to dealer and don't try to start it. If not, then make sure you clean all of the fuel off it and start it up and quickly check to see if you have more fuel leaking. If so, shut it off, it's probably a fuel connection that is broken under the tank, and will need to be repaired. If no fuel is leaking, then it was probably just fuel coming out of the overflow on the tank when it tipped over. Keep an eye on it, but if no more fuel leaks you should be fine. Any doubt, take it to dealer and have them go through it.

Registered
Main thing is when you stand the bike up is there still fuel leaking out of it or not? If so, trailer to dealer and don't try to start it. If not, then make sure you clean all of the fuel off it and start it up and quickly check to see if you have more fuel leaking. If so, shut it off, it's probably a fuel connection that is broken under the tank, and will need to be repaired. If no fuel is leaking, then it was probably just fuel coming out of the overflow on the tank when it tipped over. Keep an eye on it, but if no more fuel leaks you should be fine. Any doubt, take it to dealer and have them go through it.
You see! Didn't take long!

JarelJ - you ARE a legend. I think it is great that you take the time to give us guys the benefit of your knowledge. if you give the same attention to the 1199 forum - do you have time to do any bloody work? Hahahaha!
I think you should post a photo up of yourself. I will build a small shine to the Ducati Gods and have you as their earthly representative! :D

- but if your too handsome, I'll not bother! (before you ask, i am married and not the first on the dancefloor for 'I will survive') - *trying to be amusing so I hope no offence is taken by anyone.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice folks. I left a towel under it overnight and this morning all was dry and no more leaking. Not sure if there's really any other way to check and see if something is actually broken. I wheeled it forward and back and tipped it side to side and no further leaks. I'd hate to have it towed to the dealer for nothing, but I'm not sure if a fuel leak is something to leave unconfirmed.

Registered
Thanks for the advice folks. I left a towel under it overnight and this morning all was dry and no more leaking. Not sure if there's really any other way to check and see if something is actually broken. I wheeled it forward and back and tipped it side to side and no further leaks. I'd hate to have it towed to the dealer for nothing, but I'm not sure if a fuel leak is something to leave unconfirmed.

Pull the tank off. It's really easy. There is a plastic quick disconnect right under the tank. You don't really need to take it completely off. Loosen the two front bolts and remove two bolts and a nut at the rear. You can then grab the back of the tank and just rotate it up to view the quick disconnect. You also need to disconnect the harness at the back of the tank too.

Registered

I am sure if you wanted to elaborate on how it happened, you would have. I won't be rude to ask! *picturing pi%$ed off wife/girlfriend - "If only you looked at me the way you look at that bike!"

What was your reaction? I'm not sure what i would do! Sure wife or GF - not a lot.....but a bloke? Punch his lights out! (Easy to talk big sitting on my sofa!)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turns out it was my 5 year old son who for whatever reason decided to push it over.

Interestingly enough, I laughed almost the whole way home to go lift it back up, but that may have been maniacal laughter seeping thru!

No harm done, to the bike or my son. He just lost video games for a week for lying about it! 馃槣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.