Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so occasionally especially when its raining. When braking around 10mph to 0 I notice what seems to feel like a kind of grinding sensation.

The brakes are fine. Theres no Vibration.

Is this from the ABS? It just feels unsettling. Ive never had a bike with ABS

Anyone know what im talking about or is there something wrong with my brakes. lolll

·
Registered
480 Posts
Do you notice drag when you're moving the bike? I had an issue with another bike where the front pistons weren't completely returning, which caused the brakes to rub a little. Once you got up to speed, the problem seemed to disappear as the momentum overcame the friction.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yip, ABS.

Try triggering ABS on the rear (use rain mode as this puts abs to max) by by putting a bit more pressure on the rear when coming to a halt and you should be able to trigger it (safer to do on the back brake than the front !).

RBW

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
So, on my racebike I have disabled the ABS and at slow speeds I still have this sensation.

I think that the stock brake pads have a compound with a reasonably high metallic content (something like a HH), and every time I've used a pad like this it's had the same sensation.

It's nothing to worry about, and I don't notice it an anything higher than 10-15 MPH. There isn't any unusual wear on my rotors and the wheel spins reasonably well when the front is on a stand and the brakes aren't applied. I would check the same things on your bike.

As an interesting aside when I first got my bike on the stands and started putting the warmers on I noticed that the front wheel didn't spin as freely as I thought it should. Some quick investigation turned up that the wheel was offset in the forks about 2mm to the right and it was causing binding. I checked the spacers carefully and everything looked to be in order, so I started investigating the wheel itself. The bearing on the left side of the wheel was not fully seated and there was a small gap between it and the internal spacer. A quick pop with the bearing driver and all was well in the world. The wheel is now centered and spins freely with the brake off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not having mine yet, I understand it is in a truck heading south, I have a question for you. Is there any rust or corrosion on the rotors from sitting? I have several bikes with cast iron rotors and I get this type of noise every time I park after high humidity like rain, washing the car, or just a good old SE US high humidity day. It comes right off after the first stop or two.

Jim

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Not having mine yet, I understand it is in a truck heading south, I have a question for you. Is there any rust or corrosion on the rotors from sitting? I have several bikes with cast iron rotors and I get this type of noise every time I park after high humidity like rain, washing the car, or just a good old SE US high humidity day. It comes right off after the first stop or two.

Jim
Jim,

The rotors on the 899 are Stainless, so probably won't have any rust on them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jim,

The rotors on the 899 are Stainless, so probably won't have any rust on them.
Depends on the type of stainless I have seen some rust. Not a lot but it could be the source of this noise. I really believe it is unlikely but hey it is always good to check everything when you do not know.

Jim

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I've noticed the same thing recently too. I can't duplicate it at will but occasional on stopping (at slow speed) I feel what I assume to be the ABS kicking in. Grinding is the best way to describe it.

·
Super Moderator
133 Posts
Absolutely. Thats how I would describe it as well. Seems to only happen when slowly stopping. Im fairly certain its not the ABS (or at least I am not locking up the wheel causing the ABS to kick in) because the streets are bone dry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.