Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
My MPG has improved since i hit 3k miles, in fact the motor feels more solid and powerful. I think the motor has finally broke in fully, I'm averaging between 37 - 43 mpg. The longest I've gone before filling up was 140 miles, the bike took 3.8 gallons of fuel. I've done this a few times so I'm pretty sure this bikes maximum range is around 160 - 180 miles before it goes dry depending on you average MPG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tank capacity

Hi from UK
Same issues here in UK with tank size issue. I too initially filled up soon after warning light came on but got less than 11 litres in. Next time left it longer, filled up with bike upright and squeezed as much as possible in! Still only 12.5 litres.
Learned to ignore the light first few times it comes on - it is activated by going round roundabouts etc. Started leaving it to 30 miles before filling up.
Eventually pushed it to 46 miles on yellow light. As I turned into the petrol station the engine cut out. Even then only got 14.6 litres in tank. Unfortunately I didn't try sloshing bike from side to side to ensure empty first. Rang my dealer and they weren't interested.
But recently did run it on and got 14.5 litres in it and got to filling station without cutting out. I did listen for fuel in tank and could here small amount in bottom.

I have managed 170 miles ona tank full. Use trip B function after each fill up. I think tank probably only holds 15 litres.

IMHO discussions round MPG are slightly different issue - the proof on fuel tank capacity is how many litres you can get in it when it's virtually or actually empty!

Thank you and goodnight from Angletere.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
IMHO discussions round MPG are slightly different issue - the proof on fuel tank capacity is how many litres you can get in it when it's virtually or actually empty!

Thank you and goodnight from Angletere.
Are you sure you don't live on Baker Street?

Reactions: Mariner

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading all of these problems with the fuel sensor I've tested my bike and it seems to be off as well but what I'm disappointed in is it has a sensor on a modern and expensive road bike why not just put a proper fuel gauge on it and display remaining fuel on the dash for a bike I paid top dollar for doesn't even have this simple feature that works properly or as accurately as cheaper bikes

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tank ran out on the freeway pushed her to get fuel thinking I would put in the full 4.5 gallons only took 3.499. She was dry, guys at the shop when I got her first service said they drained the tank and the low fuel light clicks on with 1.4 gallons remaining.

It doesn't make sense, I should be able to go further than 111 miles on 3.5 gallons. My s1000rr gets 130 easy and that's with aggressive riding in slick mode.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fuel light came on today after 75 miles, but then I was riding it pretty hard........

I also use the trip mileage rather that the light to guage when I need to fill up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tank ran out on the freeway pushed her to get fuel thinking I would put in the full 4.5 gallons only took 3.499. She was dry, guys at the shop when I got her first service said they drained the tank and the low fuel light clicks on with 1.4 gallons remaining.

It doesn't make sense, I should be able to go further than 111 miles on 3.5 gallons. My s1000rr gets 130 easy and that's with aggressive riding in slick mode.
Yeah! What gives? Same thing happened to me yesterday. Completely out of gas at 105 miles. Only took ~3.3 gallons to fill up to the cup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My fuel sensor works pretty fine: the day i picked her up, the dealer told me to fill the very top of the tank, in order to "set" the fuel sensor range. Dont know if it was crucial, but i effectively had no problems since that day. The light comes on and off a couple of times, not always, but im used to; it could depend on traffic, stops, lean angles, hills etc. When the fuel light definitely stays up, it is very reliable: i can run EXACTLY 50km before running out of gas. Tested twice �� works

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've gotten 160 miles out of tank... 35mi once the light stayed on. For, me the light comes on very early (90-100 mi's)...but often goes on and off for the next 20 or so miles...
On avg, I've been filling up around 135 mi's ...but I can obviously get a lot more, I don't usually put in anything more than 3 gals when I fill up, plus I can look in and still see the gas almost coming over the hump

Reactions: XCLR8TN

·
Registered
5 Posts
More thoughts on tank capacity

Two more reasons for not getting the stated tank capacity could well be (i) the fuel pump itself sits in the tank and therefore takes up some capacity - maybe a litre; and (ii) the pump cannot quite reach fuel in the bottom of the tank because of where the inlet resides for the pump. So, a real 14.5 litres.

Then it's about working with what you've got: -
Ignore the fuel light the first few times it goes on and off until it comes on and stays on.
Learn how far you can go on the yellow fuel light before going to the petrol station - maybe 40 miles.
Fill up with the bike upright, not on the stand.
Use the trip B function to record miles between fill ups and, based on your riding style, get an idea of how far you can get before filling up. I've managed 170 miles. Obviously this depends on how much welly you give it!
Saviour how little it costs to fill up compared to when you go to the filling station in your car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
[QUOTE
Saviour how little it costs to fill up compared to when you go to the filling station in your car.[/QUOTE]

Just rode my bike up for its annual service........400km each way.......$25 to fill the tank........total cost $100.00 approx. Yes, it costs more to fill up my diesel suv ($65.00), but at 700 km per tank, it's cheaper to run my suv.
Crazy.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.