Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
At about 180km the fuel light comes on. I've refilled at 210, but with still about 5 litres in the tank. One day soon I'm going to see how long I can get on a tank, and have a 5 litre reserve in the tail bag.

Time to push some boundaries. Will running the tank dry ruin something, or make it impossible to start again?

Light activated at 180km rode til 255km and filled up. 15 litres in, so that left me with about 2 litres in the tank. Based on the avg consumption figures I should have seen just over 300km, so it's reasonably accurate, but better to be conservative.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about the diff of fuel consumption with new bikes vs older bikes? I got only 340 miles on mine so its new and my tank is geting 140-150 miles before running out. Have you been seeing longer tank distance as the bike gets more miles on the clock??

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am at 1500km now. My best fuel consumption achieved lately is 17.6km/l which is 41.6mpg. I was only running it in sports mode. Previously it was around 16km/l. I will need a few more tank of petrol to make sure that the fuel consumption improved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm an accounting geek so love numbers. Without fail my "theoretical" range is 270 - 275 kms (170 mi). This is calculated as 17/X times Y, where X is the number of liters per fill and Y is the # of kms since last fill. I don't like the idea of running out so I try to to fill at 200 kms (125 mi) where it takes 4L (1G) or so. I typically run at 6K - 8K rpm so your mileage will be lower if you rev higher. These bikes like to stop at each station. Fun getting there though. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dont know how true this is, but another Ducati owner tells me that it has to do with location of the gas senser in the tank. if your low on gas, on a hill, or if your bike is on a slant it might detect low fuel. either way, the amount of money we spend, little things like this should not be of worry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My fuel ran out today at 104 miles. I was surprised when the engine just died at me at those miles. Don't know if that's normal or not. My cons mpg stated 36-38. I should be getting 140 or something. My fuel light was lit from 48 miles anyone think this an issue?

·
Registered
322 Posts
i just got my 899 on May 29.......the tank was full when I left the dealership and I started to get the intermittent amber fuel light at 80 miles on the odometer.
I remember my first tank going unusually fast but I'm not sure how full it was to begin with and I didn't calculate the MPG. The following 2 tanks were better than 35 mpg.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone gotten their bikes checked out or contacted a dealer about this issue? My light comes on anywhere from 60-80 miles. I have been calculating roughly 40 mpg on a few tanks. The math certainly does not add up. The most I have ever filled up was 2.6 gallons, and that was 45 miles after the fuel light came on!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Has anyone gotten their bikes checked out or contacted a dealer about this issue? My light comes on anywhere from 60-80 miles. I have been calculating roughly 40 mpg on a few tanks. The math certainly does not add up. The most I have ever filled up was 2.6 gallons, and that was 45 miles after the fuel light came on!
It just so happens I posted about this same thing here: http://www.899panigale.org/forum/89...uel-consumption-heat-hot-seat.html#post131745

Try pulling the filler nozzle up a bit, more gas goes in the tank...

·
Registered
45 Posts
It just so happens I posted about this same thing here: http://www.899panigale.org/forum/89...uel-consumption-heat-hot-seat.html#post131745

Try pulling the filler nozzle up a bit, more gas goes in the tank...
Although I agree with what you are saying, I have done this in past, it still does explain the fuel light sensitivity. The light still comes on too early. There is no way that I rode 45 miles with the fuel light on and underfilled the tank by 2 gallons!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Although I agree with what you are saying, I have done this in past, it still does explain the fuel light sensitivity. The light still comes on too early. There is no way that I rode 45 miles with the fuel light on and underfilled the tank by 2 gallons!
Hmm, interesting. I just got my 899, so I will have to wait and see how it behaves for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My average fuel consuption is saying 39mpg, My light came on at almost 100 miles and i filled up 4 miles later so i had 104 miles on the tank. I was able to get a little over 3 gallons in the tank. If the average mpg reading was right i should have got 20 more miles before the low fuel light came on. The fuel light is sensitive though, mine will come on and go off usually 2 times before it stays on. Ducati needs to fix this asap!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I fill mine usually within the next 10 miles of the light coming on, around 100-110 miles on the tank.

One time though....... I made it to 150 miles. The light had been on for awhile. I think I only got 3.5/3.7 gallons in there. I get 35-42 mpg depending on where and how I am riding.

·
Registered
168 Posts
None of these fuel gauges work the way they should... at least not on any of the bikes that I have had... I always go by the amount of miles traveled... reset the trip every time I fill the tank and just go by that. So it looks like I will follow the same approach when I get the Ducati.

Reactions: XCLR8TN

·
Registered
86 Posts
None of these fuel gauges work the way they should... at least not on any of the bikes that I have had... I always go by the amount of miles traveled... reset the trip every time I fill the tank and just go by that. So it looks like I will follow the same approach when I get the Ducati.
Cheers to that! The only annoying thing are the false positives at 3/4-12 full. I like all the warning lights to be off.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.