Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Its the tire at full lock and also the suspension totally compressed.
I think that would mean you're about to be on your back...
I doubt this. it's gotta be low speed, U-turn type maneuvers.

fully compressed suspension and the wheel completely turned would be fall type conditions on the front end

·
Registered
550 Posts
I think that would mean you're about to be on your back...
I doubt this. it's gotta be low speed, U-turn type maneuvers.

fully compressed suspension and the wheel completely turned would be fall type conditions on the front end
It was. I was crashing at the time. Prior to that it never rubbed.

Common theme here is rather heavier then normal dudes (me included) and stock suspension settings.

Jump on the bike with a rear stand and a mate to spot you and try bringing the front at full lock in both directions. See what happens.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We (my dealer and I) managed to reproduce this behavior exactly like Rowan described it.
The steering at full lock and suspension fully compressed and you can see where the tire touches the fairing.
I had the exact same thoughts, this maneuver performed while driving, and I'll definitely have other problems than a mark on the fairing.:eek:
But facts don't lie, so he is going to check the fork and we'll see after that what's next. Oh..........., and I didn't have a crash. I just weigh about 91 kilos without riding-gear.:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
According the tech they were able to cause the tire to rub when turned around 90 percent to full lock and forks compressed within an inch of full travel. Still trying to figure out how that happened. You turn that far on handle bars and compressed forks that much is not a normal condition. The tech said that Ducati was unaware of the issue and is now investigating it after checking this thread as well as the pictures they took during the test and measurement phase.

·
Registered
109 Posts
FYI, I read this thread yesterday. When I got home I checked my bike. One thing I noticed, is that in comparison to the pictures posted by the OP... my front tire is significantly farther forward. In the pictures, the tire (when looking parallel to the lower radiator) looks like its at most 1/4-1/2 inch away. On my bike, its a good 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I wonder if its possible that the forks' angle can vary based on how the bike was put together?

·
Registered
120 Posts
That assumes that your pic and his pic were taken from exactly the same angle and distance from the bike.

·
Registered
120 Posts
According the tech they were able to cause the tire to rub when turned around 90 percent to full lock and forks compressed within an inch of full travel. Still trying to figure out how that happened. You turn that far on handle bars and compressed forks that much is not a normal condition. The tech said that Ducati was unaware of the issue and is now investigating it after checking this thread as well as the pictures they took during the test and measurement phase.
You could do it in a situation similar to the one I could potentially hit every day pulling into my driveway.

I have one of those driveways that isn't smooth with the street, there's a small curved "gutter" that goes from street level to driveway level (a little higher). I could see potential to rub if I pulled into the drive way somewhat quick while on the brakes with the handlebars turned... When that bump hits the suspension would temporarily bottom out.

I'm not heavy enough to cause it to touch by just sitting on the bike, but I could see someone heavier having that problem too. The suspension feels pretty soft with stock settings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem for me - both before and after getting suspensions setup professionally twice.
About 95 kg for me, so likely ~110kg as well when geared up.
I have the bike for about 5 years and I now am touching up the lower fairings for the 3rd time - I am getting good at it :) but it's annoying.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts