Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of an issue with the front tyre rubbing after just about a month of having it.
Currently Ducati Australia are only going to replace the lower RHS fairing while taking a second look at the LHS to see if they can repair it. My only issue is in its current state the front tyre will just rub the new fairing.

The dealer has been helpful although Ducati Australia doesn't seem to enthusiastic about having to replace the fairing at this point and put blankly that they won't replace it for a second time if it occurs again. There's been a myriad of possible explanations as the the cause of the tyre rubbing, my expectation would be with a bike, especially a new one, the the front tyre wouldn't rub anything.

Apparently Ducati Australia and Ducati Italy haven't encountered this issue before with the 899. Anybody experience or heard of this before? Bike only has 2,500kms with 1,500 of those commuting.

·
Registered
249 Posts
A bit hard to see from the pics, but your bike looks like its sitting really low on the front... If it is...
Haven't raised the forks through the triple trees by chance? What sort of preload is on the forks? Have you noticed any instability in the handling, maybe theres been a collapse of the preload spacer tube or something?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have this on my bike on the r/h fairing, I'm assuming it has occurred due to me not having the suspension set up correctly from new, I'm on the heavier side (100-105kg's) am getting the suspension resprung and dialled in in the next month or so, will raise it with my dealer and see what they have to say about it

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have this on my bike on the r/h fairing, I'm assuming it has occurred due to me not having the suspension set up correctly from new, I'm on the heavier side (100-105kg's) am getting the suspension resprung and dialled in in the next month or so, will raise it with my dealer and see what they have to say about it
If you're in sydney, I highly, highly recommend a place called shock treatment. They know their stuff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty much the same in terms of weight. Although having to adjust the pre-load, compression and rebound should only affect the ride feel not the fact that the front tyre is rubbing.
It was mentioned to me by the dealer in terms of getting the suspension re-sprung and re-valved, I wouldn't expect to go to the lengths to get it to stop though.. :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Although having to adjust the pre-load, compression and rebound should only affect the ride feel not the fact that the front tyre is rubbing.
Not true. Spring weight and preload will affect static sag and ride height. If its almost bottoming out when you are on it and riding normally it could rub when doing low speed manuvering.

It seems like your springs and preload are way out, but still its kinda dodgy that it rubs. Should be something ducati looks at imo

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Ryder

Shock Treatment is where I'm taking it to get set up properly, my dealer highly recommended them to me when I recently enquired about getting the sag set up properly, and I've found that if you mention shock treatment to anyone that rides/owns a motorcycle, be it Road/Dirt, they all say he is literally the "Rain Man" of the suspension world.

For those in Sydney, here is the link to Shock Treatment's website

Shock Treatment Home Page

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not true. Spring weight and preload will affect static sag and ride height. If its almost bottoming out when you are on it and riding normally it could rub when doing low speed manuvering.

It seems like your springs and preload are way out, but still its kinda dodgy that it rubs. Should be something ducati looks at imo
Yeah my bad, that was more of a comment on it shouldn't be rubbing at all especially from the factory, without me needing to change anything straight off the bat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi fellows, I have exactly the same marks on my bike. The bigger one on the right and the smaller one on the left side, exactly the same as you can see on the pictures from Strife. Looks like he took them from my bike. I'm bringing her in today for the 12.000 km service, and I'm curious what my dealer has to say about it.
Although I just had a tiny issue over the last 13 month: my left mirror folding in by itself while riding. And I immediately got a new one after mentioning it last month. Not even the warranty claim has been made by my dealer for it yet and I'm already equipped and driving around with a new one for a couple of weeks now. So I'm quite confident that this new issue will be dealt with in the same appropriate manner too. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
13,000 km - no marks like this at all.
Standard suspension and weigh at least 110kg in full gear.

This is not right at all, I would be chasing them for a permanent fix there is no way it should rub.
You haven't hit any curbs, big bumps?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
My bike does this with the race fairings installed - I've declared it "self-clearancing" and let it be. I don't think it should happen on the street version bike from the showroom floor.

I figured it was the 1/2 degree rake difference and my use of 1199 fairings... who knew?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I also have a rub mark on my fairing that looks the same. I have contacted my dealer and they are getting in touch with Ducati rep. I would like a solution prior to replacing the the fairing because it will happen again. I have 2490.00 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up getting the lower RHS replaced this morning as it had the most damage, also had the suspension adjusted which gave it a much firmer ride. Unfortunately my short trip from the city to home has already had the tyre rub on the new fairing! So chasing it up with Ducati again to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
hahah I just noticed this on my bike yesterday!!! it's only one side... I just actually took my bike into some really good twisty roads...but of course, I've never had the bars turned that far...I don't see how this is happening. it shouldn't be happening...i'm surprised that ppl are/may get this fixed under warrenty...because replacing the fairings doesn't fix the problem of course.
I too am on the heavy side...but i'm guessing this is happening from free play in the steering head

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes I agree. Replacing fairing ( unless designed with slightly more clearance) or adjusting suspension is not the fix. If it rubs at full downward travel with half of tire life (2500 miles for me) then there is definite tolerance issue. I really can't see replacing fairing till they find the real issue so it won't happen again. It could even be reducing fairing interference at that location by .200 inches to insure no rub on both sides.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
anybody got an update on this ? what have the dealers said?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same issue with my bike I noticed it a few days ago. I have only put 1600 kms on it. Maybe it's because I'm 215 lbs without gear, I asked the dealership if the bike is setup for my weight out the factory and they said not to worry about it. I'm heading back to the dealership to see what they are going to do about it. Also from another thread I get the speed wobble after 110 kms/hr. noticed the front fender isn't centered and has more space on the right and the left is closer to the tire Maybe because it's plastic and may have bent, but going to have them check it out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am taking my bike in for measurements to see how this might have happened. Hoping to get it in this week. Unfortunately it could take a while. I am guessing they will measure triple angle, steering head bearing play, and other items. Its probably a case where if all items are on a particular side of tolerances that the rub will occur. The dealer and rep agree replacing the fairing without finding cause is not a good solution.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Its the tire at full lock and also the suspension totally compressed.

I got the death wobbles under hard braking while in a gravel pit at the racetrack and I have those same burns.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer has checked if the steering head sleeves might have been from an 1199, put in by mistake, because that seems to have happened before already. But that's not the case. Next, he wants to check the fork to make sure everything is okay there, that means fork oil, springs etc.. Then we're gonna see where that leads us.:confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts