Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a tough time finding the correct size sockets to fit the axle nuts. I found that the closest fit for the front , is a 1-3/16"... I haven't been able to find a 38 mm 12 pt.for the rear though. Where would I find the correct fitment sockets, and what brand is best to avoid marring these aluminium gems? Any help is greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been having a tough time finding the correct size sockets to fit the axle nuts. I found that the closest fit for the front , is a 1-3/16"... I haven't been able to find a 38 mm 12 pt.for the rear though. Where would I find the correct fitment sockets, and what brand is best to avoid marring these aluminium gems? Any help is greatly appreciated :D

I'd find my local Snap On dealer and he'll probably have on in the truck or order it up.

I got a set for my 748 in this manner. Just look for Snap On Dealer. Please don't use the non-metric tool:)

Dealer will probably have it for a little bit more in cost.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd find my local Snap On dealer and he'll probably have on in the truck or order it up.

I got a set for my 748 in this manner. Just look for Snap On Dealer. Please don't use the non-metric tool:)

Dealer will probably have it for a little bit more in cost.
Thanks for your input tanner. I tried a metric socket on the front, 30 mm was too small and 31 mm was too big. It measures 30.47 mm with my calipers, or 1.1869"... I'll check with Snap-on and see if they sell a 30.5 mm socket. Should I get aluminum sockets?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I got Proto (Stanley's professional brands) sockets for front and rear and they fit perfectly.

30mm F
36mm R

I got a 12 PT one for the rear, but a 6 PT one for the front, and I've dedicated the sockets to the task so they don't get buggered up by other nuts and bolts that may be in worse condition.

I plan on doing a lot of tire changes, since this is a racebike for me, so I don't expect them to remain perfect forever.

I'm 99.999% certain that the rear axle nut is steel, not AL. When I get back to the garage I'll test with a magnet.

Amazon.com: Stanley Proto J5430MH 6 Point 1/2" Drive Socket, 30mm: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Stanley Proto J5436M 1/2-Inch Drive Socket, 36mm, 12 Point: Home Improvement

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got Proto (Stanley's professional brands) sockets for front and rear and they fit perfectly.

30mm F
36mm R

I got a 12 PT one for the rear, but a 6 PT one for the front, and I've dedicated the sockets to the task so they don't get buggered up by other nuts and bolts that may be in worse condition.

I plan on doing a lot of tire changes, since this is a racebike for me, so I don't expect them to remain perfect forever.

I'm 99.999% certain that the rear axle nut is steel, not AL. When I get back to the garage I'll test with a magnet.

Amazon.com: Stanley Proto J5430MH 6 Point 1/2" Drive Socket, 30mm: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Stanley Proto J5436M 1/2-Inch Drive Socket, 36mm, 12 Point: Home Improvement
Thanks Rybo, I tried a 30 mm socket on the front, but it doesn't even fit onto the nut. What's up with that? Like I said previously, I measured the nut with calipers, and it's bigger than 30 mm at 30.42 mm...

When measuring the rear, did you use the peaks or valleys of the nut. I used the peaks and got 38 mm. I'll check the valley measurement... :cool:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was mistaken, after remeasuring, I got 30.04 mm front and 38.14 mm rear in the valleys. I'll try another brand of sockets and see if they work. but I believe it'll be a 38 mm rear, not a 36 mm. Thanks all :cool:

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Thanks Rybo, I tried a 30 mm socket on the front, but it doesn't even fit onto the nut. What's up with that? Like I said previously, I measured the nut with calipers, and it's bigger than 30 mm at 30.42 mm...

When measuring the rear, did you use the peaks or valleys of the nut. I used the peaks and got 38 mm. I'll check the valley measurement... :cool:
@Racefiend
Honestly I didn't measure. I just rolled through my sockets until I found the one that fit.

Then I ordered duplicate sockets so I could "kit up" front and rear axle tools for changes at the track.

12pt nuts are really hard to measure because the actual measurement would be somewhere on the "imaginary" flats.

I just took an inside measurement of my 30mm Proto socket for the front wheel and it measures 30.45mm with a good digital caliper. I also measured an S-K that I have in the same size and it measures EXACTLY the same. My guess is that the 30mm socket you had was a dud.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Racefiend
Honestly I didn't measure. I just rolled through my sockets until I found the one that fit.

Then I ordered duplicate sockets so I could "kit up" front and rear axle tools for changes at the track.

12pt nuts are really hard to measure because the actual measurement would be somewhere on the "imaginary" flats.

I just took an inside measurement of my 30mm Proto socket for the front wheel and it measures 30.45mm with a good digital caliper. I also measured an S-K that I have in the same size and it measures EXACTLY the same. My guess is that the 30mm socket you had was a dud.
Sorry for the delay getting back... Life got busy :eek: I believe you are right, and will be getting a better set of sockets specifically for this task! I have some from Advance Auto Parts that are, as you say, "duds", and will be returning them. Thanks for all your input buddy. Keep it rubber side down :cool:

Reactions: rybo

·
Registered
294 Posts
Where ja buy em D-StyleNZL? They really look nice quality.
Can't seem to find em in OZ

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thanks mate, did yo get one for the front a s well?
30mm 6pt is it?
i-TOOLS | Rakuten Global Market: Ko-ken 4400M-30 1/2"(12.7mm)sq. 6-point Socket 30mm

You might as well. Cause my bike is in a different city (Im FIFO) to where I live ive had to build up a small tool box so i can work on bike.
All my socket sets at Home are Koken and after 15 years trade use gefore I went in managment, I rate them very highly that i rather have Koken than Snap-on or sidchrome sets.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.