Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was recently involved in a small accident and insurance decided to salvage the bike :(

I bought it back and am debating whether or not to keep it. I thought about converting it to a track bike, but I commute on it, so that's somewhat impractical. I've ordered brand new fairings for the front and right, a new silencer and lower radiator, front fender and a few other parts. Thought I'd see if there was any interest from guys looking to get a deal on a new bike that had one bad day.

• It starts right up, and runs perfectly fine
• About 1900 miles
• First service was completed at the dealership a couple months ago
• Front / Right side was what took the hit, so most of the repair cost was in replacing the fairings (tank + front / right side fairings + nick in the silencer = half the repair bill)
• Been checked out by the dealer and I have a list of parts that need replacing (it's a thorough list of everything that has a scratch on it)

Here are a few pics after the accident and after it came back from the dealer:

Questions and thoughts are welcome!

·
Registered
336 Posts
There is a perfect track bike if i have seen one.

You have alot of options, repair it (unpainted fairings are cheap) and as you said there isn't that much damage. If you have been given a new bike then just track bike this one or sell it to someone that will. On second thought! Make it the FIRST 899 Street fighter!!

I'm sure there is a few guys that would take it off your hands on the forum. **** i would have bought it off you if you was in Australia.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you can get $10.5K all day long at the drop of a hat. JMHO.
Thanks for the info, 92GTA. I didn't want to go too high, but the bike is around $17-18k OTD so it would be a fair amount of savings at $10.5k.

The bike still needs a few parts though:

46014952C – Copriconvogliatore DX ??
829PA371A – Right Holder
34220681AA – Steering Head Base (theres a raised portion near the forks that has just a bolt running through it that snapped off)
36011621AA – Clamp Rear
875P1741BA – Handlebar Tube RH
58540181A – Oil Reservoir Brembo Plastic
8291B501AC – Headlight Support
63140491A – Brake Control Lever

There are a few other things that have scratches:

Tank (light scratching, but hard to see)
Front wheel has some nicks in it
Headlight
Throttle control
Front Brake Pump
Clutch Cover

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ah right,
Well at $9.5k WITH PARTS Would of still been to much for me, not because of price, but down to uk import and vat fees ontop of shipping and insurance costs and finally the what I thought was few damaged parts left to replace and still would of needed to buy a uk headlight.

BUT,
Absolute amazing deal for USA Buyer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't believe your handle bars are still in one piece. Mine fell I've while washing it a couple of days ago and the handle bar snapped right off... Gutted
Wow, surprised it snapped that easily. Must have landed on a sweet spot, like all iPhones seem to do when they fall out of your pocket. Sorry to see her like that :(

I may have an extra bar end coming if you want to replace yours. Happy to send it your way if I do.

Did you slide off? would sliders help saved the bike?

How about your self?
Sliders would have helped minimize the damage in a few areas, like the clutch cover and on the tank, but not much else. I ended up with a concussion and some scrapes, but was fortunate to walk away otherwise unharmed.

---

I've decided to sell the bike. It's my second accident in six months and I need to buy a car. I've posted it for $11k :eek: as-is with parts on CL, but would prefer to sell it to someone on the forum who is looking for a track bike or wants to return her to previous glory and save a bit of money.

That said, if anyone is interested, feel free to PM if you're interested. I can also post more pics or answer any other questions that may help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't believe your handle bars are still in one piece. Mine fell I've while washing it a couple of days ago and the handle bar snapped right off... Gutted View attachment 7873

Sorry to see this and hope you're ok.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Was thinking the same thing, mine fell off stand in garage and barlely caught the wall and broke the bars...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow, surprised it snapped that easily. Must have landed on a sweet spot, like all iPhones seem to do when they fall out of your pocket. Sorry to see her like that :(

I may have an extra bar end coming if you want to replace yours. Happy to send it your way if I do.

Everyone I know with an iPhone has smashed it at some point. Let's hope it's not the same with the handle bars on these bikes. The bar ends are in good shape and I collect the new handle bar tomorrow. Just need to find someone to respray that side and it will be as good as new. Thank you for the kind offer.

Ross

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, May I ask for some clarifications...?

If the insurance decides to total the vehicle aren't they suppose to give you a brand new one?! Even if your at fault.

I don't understand how the process of buying back a totaled vehicle from the insurance works and why you would do that with so many repairs, do they assess that it would cost more than buying a new one?

Were you covered for liability only? I doubt an insurrance allow that for a brand new bike but then again...

What carrier do you have?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi, May I ask for some clarifications...?

If the insurance decides to total the vehicle aren't they suppose to give you a brand new one?! Even if your at fault.

I don't understand how the process of buying back a totaled vehicle from the insurance works and why you would do that with so many repairs, do they assess that it would cost more than buying a new one?

Were you covered for liability only? I doubt an insurrance allow that for a brand new bike but then again...

What carrier do you have?
Insurance is not required to give you a new bike, according to my policy — which included full coverage, not just liability.

With my policy, if a vehicle is declared a total loss insurance pays Actual Cash Value which is determined by locating vehicles in similar condition with similar mileage in my area. Different policies may have different programs, like 'new car replacement' or replacement value.

In this case they did look at the price of a new bike, but only the list price ($15K) and then factored in 'depreciation' for the 1860 miles I have. What was not included was the freight and PDI charges that many dealers tack on, so the price differential was fairly significant.

I bought back the bike at a discounted price, with the intent to repair it for much less than it would cost to buy a new one. Most of the damage is superficial, not mechanical, so it was a no-brainer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.