Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Just got my 899 last week its got about 80 miles on it. While reading the manual I decided to take a look at the coolant level....and I can't see any fluid between the MIN and MAX. When I was riding the bike the temp is about 185 F or 85 C. When I come to a stop it goes to 205 F or 96 C. Are this normal temperatures all of you are noticing? What color coolant does Ducati use? Freaking me out if I was breaking in the engine with no coolant .....I have not noticed any leaks.
Do they deliver the motorcycles to the dealership with coolant or was this the dealership responsibility when they did the system check when they sold me the 899.
Thank You

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello,
Just got my 899 last week its got about 80 miles on it. While reading the manual I decided to take a look at the coolant level....and I can't see any fluid between the MIN and MAX. When I was riding the bike the temp is about 185 F or 85 C. When I come to a stop it goes to 205 F or 96 C. Are this normal temperatures all of you are noticing? What color coolant does Ducati use? Freaking me out if I was breaking in the engine with no coolant .....I have not noticed any leaks.
Do they deliver the motorcycles to the dealership with coolant or was this the dealership responsibility when they did the system check when they sold me the 899.
Thank You
those are normal temps, on a hot day when standing still u will see it even go higher

·
Registered
723 Posts
Very normal for a Panigale. The previous gen ran cooler, this one hotter. A little is due to the higher HP output but more so for emissions; hotter temp ='s more complete burn of atomized fuel during combustion. Generally speaking, optimal combustion is at about 210F-215F. Of course heat is the enemy of any engines components, hence why people go cooler the better, especially back in the day. But that also is a trade off for wasted fuel each combustion cycle, albeit we are talking about levels in the ppm. Also aggressive spark maps will generate more heat to be dissipated by the cylinder heads into the coolant, get too aggressive and you get detonation, hence why I think the Ducati's seem to run cooler in general, aside from the physical design being able to dissipate heat allot easier compared to an inline 4 sport bike. Aluminum heads, mag, iron, etc all have different heat dissipation rates.

Over heating of water cooled internal combustion engines wouldn't even start until about 240F and our bikes are smart enough to shutdown about that temp or soon after I'd think. Actual damage usually doesn't occur until starting at 260F.

EDIT: Note that I'm an auto mechanic & tuner, if things vary a bit for L-twins, I'd believe it. All of the above is a generalization.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
those are very normal temps. My last bike (gsxr) would run about the same all the time. I had tried a few different products out there to lower temps as well.

EngineIce had no significant different between the stock stuff
WaterWetter - worked!

I did notice a good dip in temp's when I used water wetter. But, water wetter is really just an additive, it's not actual antifreeze/coolant. and because it's mostly water, the cooling ability is increased over the traditional 50/50 mix of water/coolant.

However, with WW, it has no antifreeze abilities....So it's great in the summer, but if you ride in the winter, or store the bike in a non-heated garage in the winter...your coolant will freeze, possibly causing some damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank All of You for the quick response.
I finally saw the coolant level was in the normal range today. When I was checking it the other day it was at night and I was using a flash light and you can't see it. During the day with natural light you can see it clearly and it was just half an inch below the MAX mark.
I Love this motorcycle just wish I could go above the 5000 rpm mark on the break in period.
As for the temperatures in traffic today I registered 219 F or 103 C mid day with an outside temperature of 85F or 30 C.
Enjoy your ride and BE SAFE!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
899 cooling problems

Ok so yesterday I got to my house and my 899 pee'ed coolant and I took it in and they said that the system had to much coolant in the system. So I took it home and guess what pee'ed all over again what should I do?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.