Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first post and introduction. I'm a 54 yr-old optometrist and have ridden bikes on and off since I was 17. CZ, MZ, Suzuki 380, CX500, VFR 750, ST1100 and more lately 1050 Tiger.
I'm looking for a sports bike to complement rather than replace my 1050. I will tour and travel distances on the Tiger and use the new steed for weekend and evening blasts and general fun. I'm due to retire at the end of this month and want to treat myself. Only issue for me is I'm tall - 6ft 3" to be precise and so do struggle on some smaller, more radical bikes.
I have a shortlist of two, neither of which I have ridden - 675R and 899.
I intend to test both before I decide. I have no date for a 675R testride but do have one booked for this coming Tuesday on the Panigale. I will post my findings after I've spent some time in the saddle - I'm really looking forward to it
If I do go down the Ducati route and having read this forum for some time now, I'm aware that there's no workshop manual which is a negative, the oil leak issues when attaching radiator guards, melting dash from reflected glare, wheel paint being removed by solvent cleaners etc, etc but I really want to like the Ducati and my gut feeling suggests it is going to get my vote.
I have sat on both bikes static and of the two, the Panigale felt more natural - the gear change was in the right position for the natural angle of my left foot and the seat felt roomy - the 675 was more of a squeeze but I guess I'm going to find out when I ride them. No point asking you guys which to go for . . . I kinda know the answer I'm going to get but keep your eyes peeled for first impressions of both. Happy days . . . .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm 6'2" and have ridden both. I currently own and ride a Ducati Monster 796. I found the 675R to be more constrained, and while I did get myself comfortable during the ride, I found the 899 to fit me much better (and was far more comfortable). In fact, I was quite surprised with the comfort of the 899.

The 675R is a fantastic bike, and very well-equipped for the price, but the ergonomics would be a compromise for me. Not to mention, the Panigale just feels more "special." Both are good choices, though.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've ridden the 675R as I wanted to be open minded before getting the 899 after my 848.

The 675R is a great bike but man, the sound, feel, and the appearance of the 899 is just stunning.

It's for sure a gut/passion type of decision.

I rode the 2009 675 before I bought my 2009 848 and felt the same way. Now if it were between the newer 675R an the 848, it *might* have been the 675R. But the Panigale, it's just perfection to me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi all, my first post and introduction. I'm a 54 yr-old optometrist and have ridden bikes on and off since I was 17.
Welcome Dr.

You know the 675 is a well-proven bike and by comparison the 899 is the unknown variable. Really you will have to try both on for fit but I imagine the 899 will feel better ergonomically. Depending on what you really are looking for will be the deciding factor on what you end up on but I don't know how you can go wrong with either.

Now I did look at the 675 as well but it pretty much gave me the the same feeling as the GSXR 750... well rounded but dated. If I really wanted it I could buy it used or last years model for a discount, but that doesn't mean they aren't good bikes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Java: I haven't been on a 675R, but I'm 6'2" and 57 years old and my 899 is very comfortable. My first sport bike so took a while to get used to, but now just pure joy to ride. Taking it on a 2,500 mile, 6 day trip in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried both the 675R and 899 before making a buying decision. Lets be honest, all sports bikes get uncomfortable after a while. For me it was around an hour on the 675R and around twice that on the 899. Also, when I checking out my reflection in shop windows it looked like I was riding a toy on the Triumph.
I am 48 and 6ft2.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Back in Jan/Feb I was in the same boat. My list comprised of: 675R, S1000RR, and the 899. I rode the SK1RR & the 899. I didn't get to ride the 675R but I did sit on it numerous times (not the same I know).

I ended up going with the 899 as the most balanced of the 3. Aesthetically I do find the 899 more appealing. It definitely gets more looks than a 675 would IMO. Plus I'm not a big fan of the 'newer' nose of the 675.

I still like the S1000RR but my stepdad got one so I can ride it whenever I visit. You've had quite a few bikes and you are still young enough that this won't be the last bike decision you'll have to make.

Whatever you decide to go with will undoubtable be great. This probably won't be the last bike you ever buy so you can always change manufacturers further down the line.

Fiscally speaking I think you get the best of both worlds for the money. You get the performance and the technology.

I personally felt the 675R was to close to the cost of the 899 w/o the safety/technology features.

The S1000RR was to fast for the street (cruising in 2nd gear at 45mph and constantly feeling like I should shift into 3rd) w/ how the gears are set up.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wait? what's this?
Gawd knows where I read it - one one of the posts here. I seem to remember it was a post about removing chain grease . . . .

I will post a detailed review when I've had my testride, likewise the 675R but this will be a while coming as none available at the moment.
Thanks for all your comments. It seems I'm far from the only one with the same shortlist. I reckon I know the outcome of this already but I'll try to be objective

Ohh yes. Loads of you guys are across the pond. Optometrists in this country are not Doctors. It puzzled me for a moment when I was addressed as such. In the U.K, we're mere mortals like everyone else!! :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gawd knows where I read it - one one of the posts here. I seem to remember it was a post about removing chain grease . . . .

I will post a detailed review when I've had my testride, likewise the 675R but this will be a while coming as none available at the moment.
Thanks for all your comments. It seems I'm far from the only one with the same shortlist. I reckon I know the outcome of this already but I'll try to be objective

Ohh yes. Loads of you guys are across the pond. Optometrists in this country are not Doctors. It puzzled me for a moment when I was addressed as such. In the U.K, we're mere mortals like everyone else!! :)
Well if you said you were in the U.K. I wouldn't have! :p Over here optometrists are considered "non-medical doctors" which is just a great way to help confuse people...

Anyway, half the fun is in the test rides so have a good time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.