Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi.

I found this little item while I was browsing ebay:

Panigale 1199 exhaust termis or after market full up map key | eBay

I'm just about to swap my original can for a cored one plus I'll be disconnecting the exhaust valve cable so I will basically have a race system so I wonder if there's a similar up-map upgrade for the 899?
There is an up-map upgrade for the 899, the Up-Map key comes with the Ducati Performance Termignoni exhaust kit and is not available separately unless you find one that was split out of an exhaust kit and never used. In order to activate it you must take the bike to your dealer and have them load the parameters in the ECU using the Ducati Diagnostic System in the service department. If you're buying one from eBay you have to be VERY sure the seller is legit and that the key has not been used previously, or it will be worthless.

This reminds me, I do have the Up-Map key that came with my 899 DP exhaust kit that I never used, I guess I might as well put it up for sale in the For Sale forum! :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hi @jarelj, does this mean that if I had it install on my bike, then decided to sell it to a new buyer, the new buyer wouldn't be able to upload the map to his bike since I had it uploaded to my bike before?
That is correct, once they key has been used to activate the performance map on a bike that key cannot be used to activate the map on a 2nd bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an up-map upgrade for the 899, the Up-Map key comes with the Ducati Performance Termignoni exhaust kit and is not available separately unless you find one that was split out of an exhaust kit and never used. In order to activate it you must take the bike to your dealer and have them load the parameters in the ECU using the Ducati Diagnostic System in the service department. If you're buying one from eBay you have to be VERY sure the seller is legit and that the key has not been used previously, or it will be worthless.

This reminds me, I do have the Up-Map key that came with my 899 DP exhaust kit that I never used, I guess I might as well put it up for sale in the For Sale forum! :)
So if I buy say, a full akra race exhaust. The only way to upgrade it is to buy a termi exhaust?

Sounds like a broken system to me.. Doesn't the dealer have access to these upgrades through the Ducati workshop computer?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So if I buy say, a full akra race exhaust. The only way to upgrade it is to buy a termi exhaust?

Sounds like a broken system to me.. Doesn't the dealer have access to these upgrades through the Ducati workshop computer?
Not "broken" you're just asking to do something that Ducati has no interest in supporting you in doing. They don't want to have owners modify the intake or exhaust systems on the bikes in a manner that has not been tested and supported by the factory, given the complexities of the electronics/injection systems on these bikes. That's why if you buy the Termi exhaust it's completely covered by warranty and Ducati will stand behind it, because they've fully engineered and tested that solution. That being said, enthusiasts have been working around these issues for decades on high performance vehicles so there are always alternate solutions, and what you choose to do is dependent upon what level of risk you're willing to assume.

If you mount up an Akra exhaust, here are your options:
Option #1: Do nothing.
Option #2: Buy a slip-on Up-Map key from someone who is selling an unused key because they have the Termi exhaust but never used the key, take the key to your dealer and have them program the ECU to enable the performance map.
Option #3: Get your ECU reflashed with a new map by someone who does TuneBoy tuning.
Option #4: Add an external fueling compensation system (RapidBike, PowerCommander, etc.) to override the stock fueling with alterations intended to improve running/power.

Option #1 will result in a bike that runs the same or marginally better than stock with no additional risks.

Option #2 will result in a bike that runs about the same as a bike with the Termi exhaust on it with no additional risks.

Option #3 will result in a bike that runs significantly different/better from stock, depending on the focus the tuner has had in making changes. It also carries large risks of having modified the stock electronics on the bike, so if you have issues with electronics/running you may not be covered by warranty on those issues. It also causes complications with the routine ECU updates that you would normally get when taking your bike in for service.

Option #4 will result in a bike that runs better than stock assuming the system in installed/implemented correctly. It will carry risks that you've installed a NON-OEM component into your electronics, but less so than having the actual ECU reflashed since this type of system is a "piggyback" that does not alter the stock system and prevent the normal updates to the ECU during routine service.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not "broken" you're just asking to do something that Ducati has no interest in supporting you in doing. They don't want to have owners modify the intake or exhaust systems on the bikes in a manner that has not been tested and supported by the factory, given the complexities of the electronics/injection systems on these bikes. That's why if you buy the Termi exhaust it's completely covered by warranty and Ducati will stand behind it, because they've fully engineered and tested that solution. That being said, enthusiasts have been working around these issues for decades on high performance vehicles so there are always alternate solutions, and what you choose to do is dependent upon what level of risk you're willing to assume.

Option #2: Buy a slip-on Up-Map key from someone who is selling an unused key because they have the Termi exhaust but never used the key, take the key to your dealer and have them program the ECU to enable the performance map.
Option #3: Get your ECU reflashed with a new map by someone who does TuneBoy tuning.
Option #4: Add an external fueling compensation system (RapidBike, PowerCommander, etc.) to override the stock fueling with alterations intended to improve running/power.

Option #1 will result in a bike that runs the same or marginally better than stock with no additional risks.

Option #2 will result in a bike that runs about the same as a bike with the Termi exhaust on it with no additional risks.

Option #3 will result in a bike that runs significantly different/better from stock, depending on the focus the tuner has had in making changes. It also carries large risks of having modified the stock electronics on the bike, so if you have issues with electronics/running you may not be covered by warranty on those issues. It also causes complications with the routine ECU updates that you would normally get when taking your bike in for service.

Option #4 will result in a bike that runs better than stock assuming the system in installed/implemented correctly. It will carry risks that you've installed a NON-OEM component into your electronics, but less so than having the actual ECU reflashed since this type of system is a "piggyback" that does not alter the stock system and prevent the normal updates to the ECU during routine service.
Understood :) Thanks for taking the time to explain everything!

My plan is to use a cored stock exhaust and remove the exhaust flapper valve cable, leaving it open.

I guess it's pretty much the same thing as installing a full akra exhaust so I think I'll be going with option #1 because I'm pretty happy with the performance so far plus I'll minimize my risk.

·
Registered
830 Posts
FWIW, my dealer service guy told me that for a cored exhaust that it is not necessary yo reprogram the ECU with s new map/tune that a cored exhaust is basically a slip on and a new tune/map is really only required for a full exhaust system replacement.

·
Registered
143 Posts

So Option #1 won't void a warranty? Also, would option #1 hurt the engine? (I am assuming the bike would run lean with an akra slip-on without ECU modification, and would then backfire, but correct me if I am wrong)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've just had my Termis installed with UPmap........seems to be a bit of a rubbish a low revs, like setting off....am i doing something wrong?
No, that's how it is. That's why a lot of us (myself included) skipped the upmap and got the Rapidbike, because you can tune the map so your low RPMs don't suck as much.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So Option #1 won't void a warranty? Also, would option #1 hurt the engine? (I am assuming the bike would run lean with an akra slip-on without ECU modification, and would then backfire, but correct me if I am wrong)
Option 1 will not void the warranty... you will benefit from dropping the restricted flow of the cats, the weight savings from removing them, and it would backfire no differently than the Termignoni with the upmap (as it will do it as well). There will be some performance gains as posted by Akrapovic on their website

No harm will come to the engin, however you may wish to install a RapidBike at some point in the future.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Option 1 will not void the warranty... you will benefit from dropping the restricted flow of the cats, the weight savings from removing them, and it would backfire no differently than the Termignoni with the upmap (as it will do it as well). There will be some performance gains as posted by Akrapovic on their website

No harm will come to the engin, however you may wish to install a RapidBike at some point in the future.
Most of the performance upgrade is the tune itself (Up-map)

Just doing the Tune without the exhaust itself is benefit.
Thanks and thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.