Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got access to a set of '03 Ducati 999 machesini wheels and was wondering if they're compatible. I saw it mentioned somewhere that the diameter of the rear axel may be different. Anybody has any info? Thx.

·
Registered
64 Posts
They will not fit, the axle diameter is larger on the 899.
This in of itself will not preclude using them. I have switched wheels from bikes by changing bearing and internal spacer sizes. It will depend on the outside dimension of the spacers. I do not know the answer to this question. The other thing that will make a difference in this is the distance from the outside of one bearing to the outside of the other. You might get away with it if you had custom spacers made. I did this to change out the rear wheel on a 2005 SS and used a Carrozzeria wheel from a 1993 888 SPO. It took a lot of careful measurements and a good friend with a machine shop but I got it done.

If they are not the forged wheels off a 999S I doubt they would be any lighter though.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just findout what the ID+OD+DEPTH/THICKNESS are for both the 999 and 899 rear wheel bearings and then compare to see if you can fit a 899 bearing into the 999 rear wheel.
Also,
Might be a good Idea if you were to check that both the 999 and 899 wheels have the same hub width, Rear disc and sprocket offset. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK I have a set of 749R forged wheels that are not on any bike right now so I went to the garage and did some measurements. First of all I think the rear axle is the same size 30 mm. I am certain on the 749 wheel and measuring the threads sticking out of the rear wheel nut on the 899 it came out 30 mm too. But that is not even worth a discussion as there are other problems. First the rear disc on the 749 wheel is five bolt and unless I am confused because it is still on the bike the 899 rear rotor is six bolt. The ABS would not work properly without the disc from the 899 wheels.

Additionally the distance from the rear rotor to the rear sprocket is significantly different around a quarter of an inch. I have nothing that long that measures metric. The rear wheel will not work.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.