Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Ducati 899 Panigale vs 848 EVO

57K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Karlos 
#1 ·
Well its a matter of time before someone compares the 899 to the 848.

Even though the 899 is the 1199s little brother. In some ways the 899 is the 848s successor.

#2 ·
Comparing the two is needed. Some people are probably debating if they should buy a new 899 or save some money off of the initial costs and buy a used 848. I'm a new tech buff and love the 1199 but just can't spend that much, to me, the 899 is perfect. 848 is just a bit too old for me.

#4 ·
This is all the specs from the Ducati Canada website on the Streetfighter 848.

Engine
Type: L-Twin cylinder, 4 valve per cylinder Desmodromic, liquid cooled
Displacement: 849cc
Bore x Stroke: 94x61,2mm
Compression ratio: 13.2:1
▂Power132hp (97kW) @ 10.000rpm
▂Torque93.5 Nm (69 lb-ft) @ 9,500 rpm
Technical data referring to power and torque was measured on an engine test stand at Ducati.
Fuel injection: Marelli electronic fuel injection, elliptical throttle bodies
Exhaust: Lightweight 2-1-2 system with catalytic converter and two lambda probes. Twin stainless steel mufflers

Transmission

Gearbox: 6 speed
Primary drive: Straight cut gears, Ratio 1.84:1
Ratio: 1=37/15 2=30/17 3=28/20 4=26/22 5=24/23 6=23/24
Final drive: Chain; Front sprocket 15; Rear sprocket 42
Clutch: Wet multiplate with hydraulic control

Chassis

Frame: Tubular steel Trellis frame in ALS 450
Front suspension: Marzocchi 43mm fully adjustable usd forks
Front whee: l10-spoke in light alloy 3.50 x 17
Front Tyre: Pirelli Diablo Corsa 120/70 ZR17
Rear suspension: Progressive linkage with fully adjustable monoshock. Aluminium single-sided swingarm
Rear wheel: 10-spoke light alloy 5.50 x 17
Rear tyre: Pirelli Diablo Corsa 180/60 ZR17
Front wheel travel: 127mm (5in)
Rear wheel travel: 127mm (5in)
Front brake: 2 x 320mm semi-floating discs, radially mounted Brembo callipers 4-piston, 2-pad
Rear brake: 245mm disc, 2-piston calliper
Instrumentation: Digital unit with displays for: Speedometer, rev counter, lap times, time, air temp, coolant temp, battery voltage, A & B trips, fuel reserve trip, DTC status and level selected (if activated) scheduled maintenance. Warning lights for: Neutral, turn signals, high-beam, rev-limit, DTC intervention, oil pressure, fuel reserve. Plus: Immobilizer system and management of DTC and DDA

Dimensions and weight

Dry weight:169kg (373lb)
Weight data refers to the dry weight of the motorcycle without battery, lubricants and coolants for liquid-cooled models.
Wet weight (KERB): 199kg (439lb)
Kerb weights indicate total bike weight with all operating consumable liquids and a fuel tank filled to 90% of capacity (as per EC standard 93/93).
Seat height: 840mm (33in)
Wheelbase: 1475mm (58.1 in)
Rake: 24,5°
Trail: 103mm (4.05in)
Fuel tank capacity: 16,5 l - 4.4 gallon (US)
Number of seats: Dual seat

#11 ·
I loved my 848evo for the two years I had it until September 18th a young lady in a fiat 500 hit me from behind while I was waiting to turn right and wrote it off !
But as they say , every cloud has a silver lining . Her insurance company paid out rapidly and I am now the owner of a red 899.
The 899 feels totally different , lighter , lower center of gravity , more softly sprung and just all round a much easier , more forgiving package .
I must agree , the loss of the trellis and single sided swing arm is a major change for the bike but is far out weighed by the riding experience and let's be honest , it's not exactly ugly!
So buy and enjoy , regret free and still have a place for the old Evo!

#15 ·
Looks like 848 wins hands down in Stock trim stripped of lights etc both bikes with slip-ons, for the following reasons:
1. 899 heavier - rear wheel weighs 9 kg which is a disgrace.
2. 848 power delivery much better than 899 which outweighs the minimal power gain.
3. 899 handles nowhere near as well as 848 but should get better with development.
4. In UK 899 off the pace of 848 by 0.8s at short circuit like Brands Hatch - lap times don't lie.
In it's favour the 899 engine is probably more robust due to chain drive but biggest failure is the development of the V twin to produce its power higher up the rev range like a four.
Unfortunately too much bullshit from journalists who raved about the 899 protecting there jollies to foreign tracks paid for by Ducati.

#16 ·
I was actually looking for a used 848... That's when I first saw the Panigale!

For me it was like looking for a used Ferrari 360, then laying eyes on a 458... I was like "I must have THAT one"!

#18 ·
After a year with the 899 i wont be getting a 1199/1299 as my next bike,it will be a 1098 for me,the 899 looks great from ever angle but its biggest let down is its lack of low end grunt,if i had my time over again i would have got a 848 evo,not saying the 899 is a bad bike,its just lacking in areas you have to ride the thing hard to get the most out of it,the 848 just pulls from low down and is easier to ride fast.

#20 ·
I have really enjoyed my 848 for several years and have tracked it numerous times. The 899 really intrigued me then I rode one last Sept at COTA. Then I was hooked, found a used one 2 mos ago and have been really happy. I have tracked the 899 twice since then but can't say which one is faster because I don't record lap times. I'm a midlevel Intermediate rider and feel more confident with the electronics and quick shifter. The front brake is not as strong as the 848 and also doesn't have quite the torque but I prefer the 899. I had the sag set by Huey from Marietta Motorsports and he was very complimentary of the stock suspension. Usually I always hear I need Ohlins. Oh, I just love the sound of the TERMI'S!!!

#21 ·
Newbie to the board - and just had this exact quandary. 848 Evo Corse SE or new 899.

In the end the 899 won and I take delivery on Saturday, to join an immaculate 1993 Monster 900.

I rode a stock 848 on track with Ducati when it launched, and it was hero material - fit me like a glove and within half a dozen laps I had my knee down through the bombhole at Snetterton (UK).

Lot's of pro's for the 848 - single-side swing arm, lots of depreciation done, 'that' paint job on the Corse SE, possibly a bit of a collector piece in years to come.

But....one drive of the 899 and I was hooked. The quick shift is immense and will really help on longer rides, as will the easier ergo. Let's be clear, this bike is designed to be much easier for road riding, not track like the 848. The suspension is amazingly compliant for something so sporty. But for me it just *felt* special. Not that the 848 didn't, but it just had the hard to describe exotic edge that a Ducati sports bike should have.

I felt the brakes were a little nothing nothing nothing everything, but other than that I don't have a negative word to say about it. For a fast road bike that does the odd track day, it's perfect in my eyes. Roll on Saturday!!!

#22 ·
I take delivery of my 899 next week. I was able to get a good feel for the bike from a nice long demo ride before pulling the trigger. I have also put about 100 miles on a close friends 848 Dark.

My opinion:

848 riding position was horrible.
Lots of pressure on wrists, pegs very high, tank very narrow making your knees be angled inward awkwardly.
Seat very uncomfortable. Basically it is a track oriented bike.
The engine was great in the mid-range but had no top-end, very torquey but not an engine that I enjoyed wringing out.
Very top-heavy bike and harder to handle at low speeds compared to the 899.
Still a very special bike and I did enjoy riding it, but it wasn't something I could own for street riding.

899 has higher bars, seat is not so "forward" so it doesn't crush your nuts like the 848 does.
Pegs felt lower, ergos in general are just better on the 899.
Does not have quite the mid-range of the 848, but I enjoy the character of the 899's engine more, and it clearly produces more overall power.
Very smooth to ride on the street. Rush of power towards redline, more rewarding to ride. A fun motor to run to redline, unlike the 848.
899 is much better looking, lower center of gravity, handles better, suspension more compliant.
899 much better bike when riding 2-up. Your passenger actually has a nice comfy seat.
Electronics package is superior on 899.

Anyways...those are all just my opinions.
The 899 is the direct successor to the 848. For good reason, as it is clearly a superior bike.

#23 ·
I am now two weeks and 600 miles in to ownership, with my first service next Tuesday.

Frankly I just cannot stop thinking about riding this bike. I've had an immaculate and well-sorted 93 Monster 900 for 8 years, and I obviously love riding it, but I've certainly never felt anything like this before. On Tuesday I couldn't resist any more and popped out for 'a quick lunch ride'. I ended up half way across the Brecon Beacons and got home a 7pm. The single most enjoyable ride in my life so far.

Pros

> All-day riding. I am 5'8" and I really can ride this bike all day without major discomfort.
> Confidence inspiring. Sure the low-down torque is a little disappointing, especially after my race-carb's Monster, but along with the scalpel sharp handling and remarkably compliant suspension setup it gives the rider massive confidence to really push, and then if you have the ability/desire to keep it pinned, things ramp pretty quickly!!!
> Suspension. As above it's really hard to believe how compliant the setup is, and yet it's so sharp. My monster I rarely ever am able to scribe a perfect single line through a bend, to the point that I had really considered that maybe I'm just not a great rider. This thing is a totally different story. I now finally get it when I read stories about the biking going where you *think* - and now have total confidence to keep my view far ahead. It's transformed my enjoyment of riding.
> DQS. Halves your clutch fatigue on long rides, and makes you feel like a motogp rider at times :)
> As importantly as anything else, it just feels special every time you ride it, at whatever speed. I've already had everything from white van man to a guy in a F430 spider say 'nice bike' at the lights, and people come up and talk to me when I'm filling up. Small kids wave. I would never buy something for this reason, but it's a nice added extra for sure.

Cons

> DQS. Getting better as it runs in and as I adjust to it sensitivities, but certainly early on it missed quite a lot of gears.
> Heat. Haven't had kids yet and starting to worry about if I should freeze some sperm before I ride this bike too much ;)
> Time. As in there isn't enough of it. I just want to ride every free moment I get and its taking me away from other hobbies. And work.
> I seem to be constantly stopping at the garage for fuel!

As you can see, I am a little in love. Is it riding time yet? Not long now til I can start playing with the redline and getting on track.

Edhttp://www.899panigale.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

#24 ·
7up

I LOVE my 899 which I nicknamed 7UP because of the power up there around 7 and up.
My favorite moments are stoping at a place where I can seat an contemplate the bike.
Mine is the white with red rims.
:D

#27 ·
hey guys, wondering if any 899 owners have further experience in comparison to the 848 Evo?

I started looking for a 848 Evo last week, but the more i read about them the more i hear how uncomfortable and un-ergonomical on the wrists the 848 is.

considering the bike will be my daily commuter, ergonomics will be pretty important.

so far these are the pros and cons i've come to learn:

848 Evo PROS
• looks (exhaust system, single swing arm, red frame)
• down low torque

848 Evo CONS
• uncomfortable seat
• seating position is extreme, lot of people seem to complain about wrist fatigue
• maybe less ideal for daily commuter (but great for track)

899 Panigale PROS
• comfortable to ride
• marginal reduction in weight and lower centre of gravity
• DQS & ABS

899 Panigale CONS
• low down torque noticeably less than the 848 (but up high torque is better). to me, as a daily commuter low down torque is more important.
• although still looks stunning, not quite as sexy as the 848 Evo

would you guys agree with these statements?

#28 ·
I think this was a **** comparison. You can't compare the 848 evo to the 899 but you sure as **** can compare the 848 evo se to the 899. I have the 899 and I put 9k miles in 4 month riding from tx to Cali and to Miami. Sadly I'm looking at buying the 848 evo corse se. It looks so much better! Rides better power wise. Yea the 899 is the better road bike hands down.

#29 ·
I owned a 848EVO before I got the 899. I do regret selling the 848, but it's ok. I thought about it a lot before I sold it. The torque was different and it was more sporty and harder to ride. I had a Annitori quick shifter, domino throttle, olins steering damper, akra slipons, lightech pegs...
But I had to chose what to ride and master. It's the same reason I sold my GSXR. The riding position was different.
When I started understanding how the 899 rides, I decided to sell the 848, because I would not ride it anymore.
The aggressive position, I did not like anymore. Maybe the olins shocks on the SE are better also. The rear shock on the base version was so stiff, and couldnt be adjusted.
I love my 899, but still keep picture of the 848.

#30 ·
Pics

Again

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.