Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Let me prelude my statement by saying i was on a private airstrip this weekend. Im not a big wheelie guy but figured the environment was controlled and no locals around to piss off. Was attempting clutch up wheelies but having trouble holding them. it seemed every time i reduced dtc they got alittle better. Does the function reduce engine power as soon as the front tire leaves the ground. I apologize ahead of time for the newb question however none of my previous bikes had much electonic intervention.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me prelude my statement by saying i was on a private airstrip this weekend. Im not a big wheelie guy but figured the environment was controlled and no locals around to piss off. Was attempting clutch up wheelies but having trouble holding them. it seemed every time i reduced etc they got alittle better. Does the function reduce engine power as soon as the front tire leaves the ground. I apologize ahead of time for the newb question however none of my previous bikes had much electonic intervention.
Edit Dtc its early face palm!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
There is a similar thread on another forum addressing this on the 1199.

The consensus is that even with DTC at 1, it is difficult to start or sustain a wheelie due to the slight wheel spin at the rear wheel. The solution is either DTC off, of course, or take first gear to where the torque is more profound on your bike (40 MPH), throttle down, then snap it back.

I am too much of a wuss to try it. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a similar thread on another forum addressing this on the 1199.

The consensus is that even with DTC at 1, it is difficult to start or sustain a wheelie due to the slight wheel spin at the rear wheel. The solution is either DTC off, of course, or take first gear to where the torque is more profound on your bike (40 MPH), throttle down, then snap it back.

I am too much of a wuss to try it. Keep us posted!
This makes alotta sense. i was able to get up about 3.5 feet or so but couldnt hold it. I was attempting in 2nd gear at about 40mph clutch in to pop up. I now have DTC turned off. Will try again today see if i cant hold the balance point. Appreciate the insight guys!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
and tomorrow we hear that he crashed his nice bike :)
I am not taking responsibility for any of his behavior and he can't have mine!

Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This makes alotta sense. i was able to get up about 3.5 feet or so but couldnt hold it. I was attempting in 2nd gear at about 40mph clutch in to pop up. I now have DTC turned off. Will try again today see if i cant hold the balance point. Appreciate the insight guys!
I am just guessing that a Monster would be pushing it, but might have a better chance in 2nd at 40MPH because of the lower torque range. Since this bike revs so much higher, a 2nd gear wheelie would have to start higher... and in race mode not sport.

Yes / no ???

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The power wheelies it does in 1st and 2nd with DTC set to 5 are enough for me lol.

Have fun!
You said it! I prefer both wheels on the ground myself.

I refer the kind gentleman to the last line in my post #4.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I set my race mode to abs 1 dtc disabled ebc 1. my sport mode is now set to the standard "race" parameter, for the sake of experimenting. Yes @92GTA the power wheelies are alotta fun. I figured the controlled environment would allow me to play around with the control of the bike alittle safer. like i said not a big wheelie guy. However i like to be able to control my bike in all kinds of riding. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
92 Posts
This might be different but tons of people told me just by being wide open in 2nd gear the wheel would come up at higher rpm. I stayed wide open until the red light came on and no wheelie. I'm trying to experiment in first now so I can do a few 1/4th runs when my bro takes his cobra. I want to shift before it comes up in first but unsure what rpm it'll start lifting. And does race mode vs sport mode affect this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I rode the demo, I just pinned it in 1st gear, shifted up to second and the wheel came right off the ground, right up to about 60 or 70, when I realized it was probably not the best idea on Thousand Oaks Blvd... I've been smiling ever since.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
This might be different but tons of people told me just by being wide open in 2nd gear the wheel would come up at higher rpm. I stayed wide open until the red light came on and no wheelie. I'm trying to experiment in first now so I can do a few 1/4th runs when my bro takes his cobra. I want to shift before it comes up in first but unsure what rpm it'll start lifting. And does race mode vs sport mode affect this?
Race mode delivers full power immediately, however sport delivers full power 'smoothly.' Your interpretation will vary from others, though I definately felt a significant rush of power from race mode... too much for me for street riding at my current level of experience with this bike.

The main reason I chose the 899 over the 1199 is that the throttle is supposed to be much more manageable on this bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, like i said in my initial post. Im not all about wheelies i agree with most of you they are dangerous and for the most part two wheels on the ground is the way to go. I was really only experimenting with clutch ups because i was in a controlled environment where i felt i could safely play around with having greater control of the bike and its power.
After turning dtc off i found it a bit easier to sustain a wheelie. I did experience that i had to get the bike into more of the meat of the torque range before they got easy to pop and hold. I don't recommend trying wheelies, but if your interested i found clutch ups easiest in 2nd around 6k rpm. Cheers and thanks for the input on dtc interaction and bike control. P.s. my bike and myself are all in one piece despite the foreshadowing going on in this thread :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm too scared to attempt wheelies too. To be honest.......why do guys do them?
It's a very visceral feeling when the front wheel comes up. It's like a shot of espresso mainlined to your heart.

I just do little wheelies when shifting in a spirited manner. I'm not brave enough to risk crashing the 899 with a full wheelie.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's a very visceral feeling when the front wheel comes up. It's like a shot of espresso mainlined to your heart.

I just do little wheelies when shifting in a spirited manner. I'm not brave enough to risk crashing the 899 with a full wheelie.
I've done a couple of little ones when accelerating hard and yes, it does feel quite cool. But doing full wheelie for a distance at speed....i'll give it a miss!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts