Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
had mine installed, Race version. Loving it, don't think I will ride without it.

http://youtu.be/mLh8i9XmdOk
There are some reviews coming out of the 1299 forum on this, but it would be great if we had some details coming out from 899 users as well. Would you be able to clarify the points below for us:

1. Did you use the bike on the road or only on the track?

2. Did you find any blips being abrupt/lurchy on the road?

3. Did the blipping result in a noticeably stabler bike when aggressively going down the gears?

4. Did you consciously rely on the blipper for downshifts over a certain rpm, or did it work okay for almost any downshift?

Thanks lego.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Nice work on getting this up and running Jarel. I have used the auto blipper on the new S1000RR and the 1299. I actually found the autoblipper/downshifter smoother on the 1299 which surprised me.
I still prefer blipping the throttle and controlling tail end wag via release of the clutch and rear braking into corners but thats just me and how I have always ridden.

I'm sure a nice slipper would compliment the auto downshifter on the 899.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone who races or pays attention to their lap times, seen a significant drop in times due to the auto downshifter? I'm just curious to hear from peoples experiences as i'm genuinely interested. Maybe I want to get my laps times down too :)))) Who doesn't!

d

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are some reviews coming out of the 1299 forum on this, but it would be great if we had some details coming out from 899 users as well. Would you be able to clarify the points below for us:

1. Did you use the bike on the road or only on the track?

Road only, never tracked. 85% Mountain road riding, 15% city riding.

2. Did you find any blips being abrupt/lurchy on the road?

It can be abrupt in the city some times, not everytime.(low speed/4k rpm or lower). That's not what the blip box is designed for.

3. Did the blipping result in a noticeably stabler bike when aggressively going down the gears?

Yes, much much stabler than I blip myself. I can focus more on braking and choosing line.

4. Did you consciously rely on the blipper for downshifts over a certain rpm, or did it work okay for almost any downshift?

I use the blipper for every decelerating downshifts over 5k rpm, and it works perfectly every time. I never felt that I was forcing the gear to downshift. The gear engaging for every quick-downshift is as smooth as quick-upshifts.
Thanks lego.

reply in red.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone who races or pays attention to their lap times, seen a significant drop in times due to the auto downshifter? I'm just curious to hear from peoples experiences as i'm genuinely interested. Maybe I want to get my laps times down too :)))) Who doesn't!

I wasn't on my bike for 8 months and I added the blipper this winter so I can't really compare lap times. I'm pretty rusty right now. I can tell you I'm more consistent with braking, line selection and body position now that I don't have to give much thought to downshifting. I can't imagine not doing faster lap times. I also have a slipper clutch and I think that helps with the transition to a lower gear. The downshifter just makes everything smoother and frees up brain power to make better decisions.

·
Registered
677 Posts
reply in red.
Thanks for that.

One more question if you don't mind:

In your video, you seem to stomp pretty hard on the shifter for the downshifts. This reminds me of one of the comments from the 1199 forum - "On downshift unless you give it a fairly good stomp the bike revs higher but the gear doesnt change" (link to original post). Did you have similar feelings?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Hey Jarel
Do you have any of these left , I've a race ecu that was done for my Arka full system on my 899 I'm building will this work with my bike or do I need anything else to make it work??
I'd love to order one of these

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Reactions: Legion
61 - 77 of 77 Posts