1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
not listed on their site anywhere

·
Registered
322 Posts
Since i cant find anywhere on where to buy the undertail cover, the parts to cover the hole. I try to DIY it. Here's the final look.

First, i tape the area of the hole. Put some fibre glass, let it dry and sand it.
I don't know, If I were going to go through all the hassle of glassing a plug, I would just glass the whole thing, make the negative, and make a perfectly smooth undertail.

Good job for a homemade piece although I was expecting a DIY from the title; you know, you listing all the steps and showing with pictures how to make it.

not listed on their site anywhere
They don't make one, you can email them and ask if they would though I'm sure there's a fair amount of interest.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't know, If I were going to go through all the hassle of glassing a plug, I would just glass the whole thing, make the negative, and make a perfectly smooth undertail.

Good job for a homemade piece although I was expecting a DIY from the title; you know, you listing all the steps and showing with pictures how to make it.

They don't make one, you can email them and ask if they would though I'm sure there's a fair amount of interest.
I emailed motocomposites to see if they would actually .

and I gave the clean(er) undertail a go myself. I'm torn on spending the money on the NRC, or trying to do my own thing. For now, I've got stuff coming that would allow me to not use the NRC kit for now. but I may still pick up later. I think my solution will work until there is a commercial one available.

I took of the lic hold and didn't want the big holes so I decided to patch it up.

first with a cut off while, I cut off the rest of the lic arm holder

sand away the bolt hole which sticks up and I started to sand down the corners to round it down some. Much grinding was done that this

Next I threw some body filler on. This was my first time working with body filler. This stuff hardens in like 2 mins! you gotta work quick.

allowed it harden, and then sanded it down some. did a test fit.

threw another layer of body filler on. and sanded that down a lil.

before priming - adhesive promoter

after first coat

after a primer and paint

I decided to paint it because I was going to wrap it in DiNoc 3D Carbon Fiber wrap. I wasn't too worried about the small pits or getting it perfectly smooth because the DiNoc is actually pretty thick. Knowing that I was going to wrap it, I put on a paint finish because the vinyl would stick better than to just the primer or the filler itself. I was also going to wrap the rest of the under tray with the 3D wrap as well

then I discovered that I didn't have enough. I had it laying it around from other things but I only had a lil. What I did have a lot of was just satin black vinyl wrap. So that's what I put on

the wrap is much thinner than the carbon fiber wrap so it does show the pitting and imperfections. Plus it's very hard to wrap 3d objects with a 2D surface. Very hard to not get ripples. This is why I may still get the NRC kit.

i would probably be better off putting a couple more layers of primter and painting it or plastiDip'ing' it could fill in some of imperfections. :mad: I'm not completely happy with it, but at least it gave me something to do till the rest of my stuff arrives

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
oh definitely! keep us updated.

it's funny to see all of you guys on a whole bunch of other forums when i'm searching around too.

This is the only one i'm actually a member of. I gotta say, a lot of the 1199 forums have a lot of chest pounding pompous dudes on them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
^^I've contacted a guy overseas about making these and he was having a mold made. I'll post a link when they are ready! :D
Hmm... Then I would be tempted to go the integrated tail route.

oh definitely! keep us updated.

it's funny to see all of you guys on a whole bunch of other forums when i'm searching around too.

This is the only one i'm actually a member of. I gotta say, a lot of the 1199 forums have a lot of chest pounding pompous dudes on them.
Yeah I've noticed that too.

Looks like you only have a few more costs of priming sanding / filler sanding before you're done. I would always use the Bondo spot filler in a tube for that part because it doesn't require mixing with catalyst so you don't have to mix several small batches of filler.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yeah, an artist's work is never finished....

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
So glad to see this. I was ready to contact our local tech shop to start learning how to work with carbon fibre for mass quantities.

^^I've contacted a guy overseas about making these and he was having a mold made. I'll post a link when they are ready! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
These bikes are works of art... and, imho, what Bucci did with the batch of CF covers was up to the level of what the bike deserves.

Matte finish that matches the factory CF parts.
Just a beautiful flow of the natural lines of the rear end of the bike.
Tag bracket with LED lights.

And for the signal lights? I can imagine just a black tag frame with those incorporate to the frame... something like this (comes in black). I would not like anything to disturb the lines on that rear end...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
These bikes are works of art... and, imho, what Bucci did with the batch of CF covers was up to the level of what the bike deserves.

Matte finish that matches the factory CF parts.
Just a beautiful flow of the natural lines of the rear end of the bike.
Tag bracket with LED lights.

And for the signal lights? I can imagine just a black tag frame with those incorporate to the frame... something like this (comes in black). I would not like anything to disturb the lines on that rear end...

I would rather have this:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would rather have this:
hahahahahahahah :p

I was just looking for alternatives that would still provide the clean rear-end look and comply with some for of turn signal capabilities. I did say that it comes in black... and the lights are all off unless you use the turn signal (or brake, if you connect the brake light)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.