Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My oil is already a dirty black colour at 2,200km total. It was definitely clear (new) oil after the first service. None of my previous bikes ever dirtied the oil that quickly. My dealer says it's normal due to the same oil being used for the engine and the clutch. My previous bikes all shared the same clutch and engine oil but never dirtied this quickly...

I just wondered if you guys have noted the same? Am I getting worried about nothing?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
They probably didn't get all of the "old" oil out when they performed the first service.
It should not look like that so soon. I have 2465km total and mine does not look like that.

Take it back.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It should look like this: View attachment 6937

Unless you ride through a shamal every day...
I agree shouldn't get that dirty so soon unless they didn't do it right ...like not replacing the oil filter or something . Put a drop of the oil in between your thumb and index finger ...when you start separating the 2 fingers the oil should stick to them and hold for about 2mm. If by splitting your fingers they get separated within less than that the oil is no good

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll take it to the dealer so they can see for themselves. I phoned them yesterday and the workshop manager probably only imagined a slightly cloudy looking oil rather than the espresso I have in there.

Thanks for your posts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I went to my dealer and the service manager took a look and assured me it's normal. To put me at ease he showed me their demo Monster which has only done 200km since its first service and the oil in that was already looking quite black. Well, it seems it is normal for these modern Ducs.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Update: I went to my dealer and the service manager took a look and assured me it's normal. To put me at ease he showed me their demo Monster which has only done 200km since its first service and the oil in that was already looking quite black. Well, it seems it is normal for these modern Ducs.
Another factor could be that wonderful heat in that region. When I was in that part of the world eons ago, it was **** hot. Oil probably cooks faster
there. Where I live is not quite that hot, dusty etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It must be something along those lines. It is getting bloody hot here now. My riding threshold is 38 degrees C. Daytime temperatures are around that now and only going to get hotter. Early morning rides only soon.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My bike has about 3,600 miles now and my oil is even 3 times as clear as Warhammer's picture. My dealer used Motul 300v. I'm going to be switching to Redline at the end of the month. The temps here my bike is running over 205F often.

I don't see anywhere mentioned the exact oil used, some oils just darken faster than others. Has nothing to do with it being a Ducati lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My bike has about 3,600 miles now and my oil is even 3 times as clear as Warhammer's picture. My dealer used Motul 300v. I'm going to be switching to Redline at the end of the month. The temps here my bike is running over 205F often.

I don't see anywhere mentioned the exact oil used, some oils just darken faster than others. Has nothing to do with it being a Ducati lol.

why the switch to redline? motul is pretty much the best you can buy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mobile 4T Racing oil is another very good oil you might want to try.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what oil they have put in it but I will find out for interest sake and reference to add here.

I'm going for a good blast tomorrow morning with our local club and I expect to see one or two other 899s. I will compare notes. It could be a heat issue due to our local conditions. Our dealer requires us to service every 6,000km instead of every 12,000, mostly due to the dusty air and filter cleaning requirements. I will do my own filter clean at 3,000km intervals for added benefit anyway.

·
Registered
723 Posts
why the switch to redline? motul is pretty much the best you can buy
Correct, pretty much as you say. Redline tho seems to have a marginally better additive pack that is a tiny bit more friendly to wet clutches. Here are the 2 threads I did on other sites to discuss the subject:

Motul 300V compared to Redline??? | Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Motul 300V or Redline - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

To each their own, they are very close. Personally I like that Redline is made in the USA just a couple hours from me too. They ALWAYS have responded to my inquires immediately over the years so for me it's as much a personal choice as it was a technical one. I buy the stuff by the gallons and use it in ALL of my vehicles for the past 10 years and it looks like I will continue to do so :cool:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dont know about my engine oil but my break fluid on the rear turned very dark at 300 miles. i also notice the front fluids (break/clutch) is also turning dark. anyone else had this issue, normal, will this cause full function of the break and clutch?

temp in NY only been in the 70's. and havent left or ride my baby in the sun for a long period of time.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
The color of the oil doesn't have much to do with if it's working or not. Viscosity is the key. All of the oils mentioned so far rate on my "would use" list. One reason you will see modern Ducatis soil their oil sooner than the older ones is the switch to the wet clutch. The clutch wear components used to be separated from the oil through the use of the dry clutch and now they aren't.

The brake and clutch fluid is the same story. These fluids see big heat changes and it can cause them to discolor. For street use simply follow the owners manual recommendation for changing them and you'll be well within the margin of safety.

Track and race use is a different story, and that kind of duty greatly shortens the basic service intervals. I'm changing oil between 250 - 500 miles depending on where the interval falls in my race / track day schedule.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.