Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Past 675 owner

I owned a 2013 Daytona 675 about five months ago till it was totaled by an a** hole cage driver. The 899 is DEFINITELY a great comparison to the agility and fun of the triumph. But it's even more fun and care free because of the traction control features on the 899. I haven't got mine yet but it's been ordered! The test drive sold me big time on getting it over another 675. It's a 675 with more power and better styling.

Attachments

I owned a 2013 Daytona 675 about five months ago till it was totaled by an a** hole cage driver. The 899 is DEFINITELY a great comparison to the agility and fun of the triumph. But it's even more fun and care free because of the traction control features on the 899. I haven't got mine yet but it's been ordered! The test drive sold me big time on getting it over another 675. It's a 675 with more power and better styling.
How tall are you?

I too was pretty much sold on the S1000RR. In fact I was a little disillusioned on Ducati lately until this darn 899 comes out of nowhere.
I guess I'm bleeding red (or artic white) again because I'm picking mine up tomorrow.
I also hope they don't make an 899S or R model too soon in the future

I currently ride an '11 Street Triple R, which is basically a naked Daytona. The bike is unbelievably nimble, and provides consistent power across the entire rev band. In short, I LOVE it. When I decided to get a sport bike, the Daytona seemed like a natural choice, although I'd still be limited on power; which was one of the reasons I was looking for another bike.

I had a chance to ride the S1000R at the track in Vegas while at the California Superbike School. I had always believed liter bikes were more than I needed/could handle, but after that weekend I was ready to buy one of their fleet bikes. The electronics are nothing short of amazing, and for a 'big' bike, it was VERY easy to ride.

Then Ducati decided to throw a monkey wrench into my plans with the 899. So just prior to pulling the trigger on the BMW, I talked to a friend of mine who tracks both his S1000R and 1199 (yes, he has WAAAY too much money). The comment that stuck was that while the BMW's have the technical advantage, the Ducati's have soul. That really stuck, and I decided to hold off on my purchase.

I haven't had a chance to test ride the 899 yet, but I did hear one fired up in the lot. We're actually experiencing a real winter here (where's global warming when you need it), but the deposit is down and barring a really bad experience when I do get a ride, I'll be trying to figure out how to create space in the garage this spring.

I currently ride an '11 Street Triple R, which is basically a naked Daytona. The bike is unbelievably nimble, and provides consistent power across the entire rev band. In short, I LOVE it. When I decided to get a sport bike, the Daytona seemed like a natural choice, although I'd still be limited on power; which was one of the reasons I was looking for another bike.

I had a chance to ride the S1000R at the track in Vegas while at the California Superbike School. I had always believed liter bikes were more than I needed/could handle, but after that weekend I was ready to buy one of their fleet bikes. The electronics are nothing short of amazing, and for a 'big' bike, it was VERY easy to ride.

Then Ducati decided to throw a monkey wrench into my plans with the 899. So just prior to pulling the trigger on the BMW, I talked to a friend of mine who tracks both his S1000R and 1199 (yes, he has WAAAY too much money). The comment that stuck was that while the BMW's have the technical advantage, the Ducati's have soul. That really stuck, and I decided to hold off on my purchase.

I haven't had a chance to test ride the 899 yet, but I did hear one fired up in the lot. We're actually experiencing a real winter here (where's global warming when you need it), but the deposit is down and barring a really bad experience when I do get a ride, I'll be trying to figure out how to create space in the garage this spring.

Hey, Same situation!!!!!!! Own a 2013 Street Trip R that I bloody Love to bits but been thinking so much about the 899.. Did you get one? If not are you still considering? All my pals are constantly warning me NOT to get rid of the Striple for a " F'n Duke" as they so politely put it!!!

So hard!!!! :mad:

Hey Guys... just signed up and this is my 1st post. I'm on the edge of the 899 cliff and need someone to push me off! I currently own and love my '14 Street Triple R. I purchased her in mid October and just clicked 7600 miles today. 85% of those miles are canyons (I live at the base of Angeles Crest Highway) and the remaining are commuter miles into Hollywood from Glendale.

So I figured I'd own my STR3 forever - great ergos, sweet tone and plenty fast enough to pass 95% of the guys I see riding the crest daily (corners like mad). That is until my buddy at a dealer let me test ride the 899 for about 45 mins. ****. I loved it. Deceivingly fast. Felt a bit gutless at first twist, but then I looked down and was at triple digits without even trying as I entered the freeway! I need to get more seat time on it to make a proper decision but I guess my main concern has been as follows...

The Ducati ownership rep is an expensive one. Parts and service is costlier than most. I hear horror stories from friends old and new that have owned or currently own Ducs. The fact that this is a first model year bike doesn't help any. I get the "oh.. nice bike... but be prepared for a ton more money in maintenance costs" when I discuss the possibility of swapping into an 899 with friends.

Now I'm sure many who buy these bikes don't ride them the way they were meant to be ridden (parking at Starbucks, or worse, into a corner), hence any mechanical issues from lack of use (sorta like the athlete that needs to run HARD or the body breaks down). I plan on flogging the bike and putting 12-15k miles a year on her.

So my question to you guys is what's the feedback from owners as to ownership experience thus far? Is this reputation warranted with these bikes? I know they're new... so not much can be gleaned online via proper reviews.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can offer!

Ask you the same question buddy, did you end up getting that 899??? Thinking of those comfy ergos on the Striple and kinda wimping out here!!! Why dO i keep fooling myself that EVERY BIKE I BUY is going to be a keeper??!! Lol!:D

Yep...picked her up in April, just in time for another snowstorm...:) Since then she's been tracked, and that's where the decision to buy one sealed the deal. I kept the STR, since it's such a great bike and now use it as my 'commuter'. The biggest issue now, is deciding which toy to take when the weather cooperates...first world problems...:)

I too was pretty much sold on the S1000RR. In fact I was a little disillusioned on Ducati lately until this darn 899 comes out of nowhere.
I guess I'm bleeding red (or artic white) again because I'm picking mine up tomorrow.
I also hope they don't make an 899S or R model too soon in the future
I don't see a S or R version coming out for a while if at all, you can customize your Pani the way you like anyways. Anything they would plan on doing you can do yourself. Honestly all it needs is lighter wheels, exhaust with Rapid Bike Evo tuner and your good. Maybe some suspension upgrades if your a track racer. Its perfectly set up for the street stock and can hold its own on the track as is.

Hey fellas!

Really need to jump into this Thread since I'm closely related to it.
I was forced to gave up my 2006 Daytona 675 because it was stolen after 6 years of faithful love! :mad::mad::mad:
After a year of hibernation I was considering the MV F3 800 or the 899, went to the dealer and picked up the 899.:) The rest is history.
Straight out of the box, the D675 was a great bike. But Ducati definitely did an awesome job engineering the 899. Felt more confidence on the 899 than the D675,
Technologically the 899 is far more advice comparing to the 2006 D675 (I know it's not fair comparing the 2 since its from a different time, but from the riders pleasure perspective... of course!) I had guy who ride a 1199R pulled up to me and sat on the 899 and felt in love with it instantly. He mostly complain about how harsh the 1199R was to ride around. Too much of a bike in general unless track days.

Anyway, hope you already enjoying the 899 by now

Attachments

I know this thread has been dead for a while but thought I would throw in my .02.

I was intensely comparing the 675R, MV Agusta F3 800, and GSX-R 750. I was coming from a CBR600RR and knew I wanted something with more power, but not so much that it was unusable on the street. That meant I didn't want another 600, and I didn't want a 1000.

I determined that I didn't want another Jap sport bike, nor did I really like the styling, lack of technology/updates, and stereotypes associated with the Gixxer.

I took the MV F3 for a long 30 minute test ride and absolutely hated it. Horrible ergos, very harsh suspension, clunky gear box, heavy clutch, and poor electronics (LCD screen). I also thought that looks-wise it was pretty average alongside the Panigale.

So it was basically down to the 675R and the 899 at that point. I came to the conclusion that the only reason to buy a 675R over an 899 was if you didn't have the extra money to spend on the 899, or had some sort of brand loyalty toward Triumph.

The 899 is much better looking, much faster, more comfortable, sounds better (can't beat the sound of that Superquadro), and from everything I have read it is just as flickable and well mannered on the street as the 675R. Not to mention the Ducati has a much better electronics package. Add into that the fact that I have always wanted to own a Ducati (and never really had any passion for Triumph), and it was a no brainer for me.

The British bike just can't hold up to this Italian.

The 675 is a pretty sweet bike. Triumphs are generally way cheaper than Ducati, if you had the Ohlins on the 899 you'd be up 3-4000 probably, so you would be way out of price competion. The suspension on the 899 is actually pretty good as it is for me.
I love my 899. It gets lots of looks that's for sure. With the money I saved over the 1299 I still got to buy termignonis , and Sato rear sets and fender / taillight kit. Probably throw some BST on it soon too!
His fast do I want to go???
It's plenty fast for me right now.

I have a 2013 Daytona 675R and currently pulling together my savings to make the switch to a 899 (Once we find out if it's being updated for 2016 as you can't order one in the UK now, unless there is one in a dealer un-sold).

I would say it is like the 675 but with even nicer steering feeling, a little more 'nosey' with it's feeling of weight on the front. The downside was that I feel the 675R with it's Ohlins rear shock has a little more 'connection' to the rear tyre, it's a feeling I am sure but you get more feedback through the chasis on the 675R for the rear.

There is no point in talking power, the 899 obv has more! the front forks on the 899 for road use are pretty similar to the Daytona, I have no doubt though that the Daytona's shine on track where you can make adjustments that make a bigger difference to the feel (this is my guess).

The gearbox was stunning on the Ducati, Much better than the Triumph and I think the build quality is also better.

Remember this one?

This was my first sport bike... man, I could throw and lay that bike over in the corners! When I traded it in for my 748, It was cool having a Ducati for the first time, but the 748 wanted to enter corners faster and I didn't feel comfortable doing that, it was more like the 748 wanted to "dive" into corners.

The 899 handles and reminds me more of my old 955i in how it handles.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.