Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Cycle Worlds Sibling Rivalry: 899 vs 1199

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Nzjono 
#1 ·
Probably just as unsurprising as MCN's take on the brotherhood ;)

Not many people buy a Panigale to go dragracing, right? So we had two-time AMA SuperSport championship runner-up Hayden Gillim run the two back to back on the tight and twisty Streets of Willow Springs. With our VBOX recording the data, the lighter, more agile 899 trounced the 1199 by 1.4 seconds (1:18.94 versus 1:20.36), even though its max trap speed of 127.5 mph was significantly slower than the 1199’s 133.4. What gives? The 1199 has so much power that it’s a handful on such a tight track. If we conducted the same matchup on Willow Springs’ ultra-fast main road course, the results would have been lopsided the other way....

If your intention is to keep your new Panigale on the street and you can afford the $4,000 premium, the 1199 is a great choice. But for those interested in hitting trackdays, the 899 is our pick. It will save you money—enough to keep it on fresh race rubber for a long time.
I'd rather ride a "slow" bike fast, ya know ;)

#3 ·
Agreed usual journo's bullshit. The 848 is a much better all round motorcycle as a Ducati V twin should be. They have lost their way with the 899 and 1199. Nothing good about a high revving V twin. The benefit the 1098R had over the opposition was the fact although less powerful and not as fast they could lap faster than the opposition because of the fine handling and way the motor delivered it's power. Sadly this is no longer the case with the current models.

#5 ·
Think he is saying the 848 as a track bike beats the 899. Which so far it does as it's designed for the track. While the 899 is primarily designed for the road. The 899 is easily the best supermid sports bike out there for the road and I don't think anyone would think otherwise.

#6 ·
The 899 has better chassis geometry and weight balance out of the box for the track than the 848 did. It also has awesome electronics. The only "advantage" the 848 had was a torque curve that started about 1000 rpm lower in the rev range, but that "advantage" is overstated in my opinion because of how much quicker the 899 revs and how much more power it produces. I had 2 848 track bikes previously (1 with a built race engine), and they were great bikes, but the new bike is just better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.