Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my worst nightmare came true this past Saturday, I low sided my brand new Red 899. Came around a corner on a road I know well. Gave it more throttle during the middle of the turn and the next thing that happened was the machine and I both went sliding off the road. Had to have it towed, don't know the full prognosis yet, but the eyeball examination shows that I'll need new fairings on the left side, new tank, new tail, new lefthand mirror, new foot peg, new handlebars.

Pretty embarrassing, I post this as a cautionary tale, I really didn't think I was riding it that hard, but down I went. As good as the rider safety stuff is on the bike, you can still crash. No injuries, but seriously bummed. God only knows what the bill will be, made an insurance claim today. Be safe out there, and respect this bike!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Well, my worst nightmare came true this past Saturday, I low sided my brand new Red 899.
That sucks to hear buddy! I've thought about that as well... Hope your ins comes through for you. Glad you're okay! Post pics if you've got any, so we can all share the moment with you...

Reactions: Nzjono

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I certainly hate to feel that I gained something from your hardship but thanks very much for the words of caution. Lots of gravel, dirt, and other on the roads that all amount to reduced contact patch. Planning to do my hard riding on the track after the engine case sliders are installed. Thanks again for sharing your experience. Get the bike fixed and then don't look back. Just glad you are ok.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So I was just wondering, what setting did you have your bike on? TC? Race mode? Trying to figure out why your TC didn't kick in to cut off wheel spin or detect wheel spin when u gave it more throttle thru the turn. I'm curious as to know if anyone has actually had their TC work when it's suppose too

·
Registered
9 Posts
It not the tc i think. when your mid corner and you get on gas early the suspension unloads in the front causing you to lose that grip on front tire and away we go. just my thoughts from what you said but sorry to hear that you downed your bike.. did you have any frame sliders?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, my worst nightmare came true this past Saturday, I low sided my brand new Red 899. Came around a corner on a road I know well. Gave it more throttle during the middle of the turn and the next thing that happened was the machine and I both went sliding off the road. Had to have it towed, don't know the full prognosis yet, but the eyeball examination shows that I'll need new fairings on the left side, new tank, new tail, new lefthand mirror, new foot peg, new handlebars.

Pretty embarrassing, I post this as a cautionary tale, I really didn't think I was riding it that hard, but down I went. As good as the rider safety stuff is on the bike, you can still crash. No injuries, but seriously bummed. God only knows what the bill will be, made an insurance claim today. Be safe out there, and respect this bike!

Your safe and that is the main thing.

Insurance will cover the damage, so nothing else to worry about. Health is way more important.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not good news at all. I know it's hard to get anything to make you feel better but bikes are repairable where as you are not, as much. Main thing is your ok. Hope it all gets sorted pronto for you

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I was just wondering, what setting did you have your bike on? TC? Race mode? Trying to figure out why your TC didn't kick in to cut off wheel spin or detect wheel spin when u gave it more throttle thru the turn. I'm curious as to know if anyone has actually had their TC work when it's suppose too
That was what was so shocking about the whole deal- I had the bike in Sport mode, and I don't know if it engaged or not, but I NEVER felt anything (other than the bike slipping from underneath me !) A little perspective on the road; this is a sharper left hand turn with a posted speed limit of 25, and a yellow or suggested speed of 10. Of course being a cornering enthusiast I was not going 10 but was closer to 15 mph ish. I wasn't thrashing the bike any harder than I would have my Monster on the same road in the past. I didn't even get a ticket, the cop looked at the slide marks and helped me get the bike on a tow truck! I am still completely in love with this quick I was having a ton of fun on it up to that point but I do have to say it has really rattled my confidence and I wish I could understand more about what occurred

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Any accident you walk away from is a good accident.

But it still sucks.

Im assuming the front wheel let go first ?

RBW.
I didn't notice the bike start to low side until I added additional throttle towards the end of the turn, so as crazy as this sounds, I am almost positive that the back wheel went first. I realize the majority of low sides start with the front under heavy breaking and to much weight distribution on the front. I was adding more throttle than the roll on thinking that my lean angle was not excessive and I was well within the limits to increase it. Clearly not! The back of the bike went first and I can remember thinking "hey , where's my traction control?!!" That's the main reason I post this. Really get to know the bike and what the settings can or can't do so you don't end up like me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It not the tc i think. when your mid corner and you get on gas early the suspension unloads in the front causing you to lose that grip on front tire and away we go. just my thoughts from what you said but sorry to hear that you downed your bike.. did you have any frame sliders?
I have always had sliders on my bike, this one....not so much :-(
They weren't in stock and I was too gready to ride the thing. As I've mentioned in other posts, mine is a cautionary tale. as I think we've all probably experienced with this bike up to this point the harder you ride it the better it seems to respond to it and it is just an amazing machine. I was having an incredible day up to that point and I believe knowing that there are rider safety controls on the bike gave me a feeling of over confidence.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Really gutted for you.

I don't suppose you noticed anything on the road that might have caused it to lose grip? Some years ago I decked my "new" FZR 1,000 EXUP after just two weeks (I was second owner and it was as good as new until then). It was also on a road I knew very well and had ridden lots. I lost the front at around 80kph approaching a right hander. I was on the brakes, reasonably hard but not super aggressive, with the tiniest bit of lean. In an instant I was down. The bike slid off the road and flipped when it got to the grass verge, ending upside down in a small grassy ditch. I had to get some guys from a nearby orchard to help me pull it out. I was in full leathers and luckily I didn't suffer anything more than minor bruises.

The first thing I did was inspect the road. There was a tiny dried up patch of cow **** that marked the beginning of a short skid mark, followed by scratches from the bike.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, it sure is embarrassing when your mates find out, having only had the bike a short time. Main thing is you're ok.

All the best!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I didn't notice the bike start to low side until I added additional throttle towards the end of the turn, so as crazy as this sounds, I am almost positive that the back wheel went first. I realize the majority of low sides start with the front under heavy breaking and to much weight distribution on the front. I was adding more throttle than the roll on thinking that my lean angle was not excessive and I was well within the limits to increase it. Clearly not! The back of the bike went first and I can remember thinking "hey , where's my traction control?!!" That's the main reason I post this. Really get to know the bike and what the settings can or can't do so you don't end up like me.
Sorry to hear about the bike, but as most have said, at least you walked away unscathed.

Do you think it could have been some spillage or gravel on the road that caused the rear slide?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really gutted for you.

I don't suppose you noticed anything on the road that might have caused it to lose grip? Some years ago I decked my "new" FZR 1,000 EXUP after just two weeks (I was second owner and it was as good as new until then). It was also on a road I knew very well and had ridden lots. I lost the front at around 80kph approaching a right hander. I was on the brakes, reasonably hard but not super aggressive, with the tiniest bit of lean. In an instant I was down. The bike slid off the road and flipped when it got to the grass verge, ending upside down in a small grassy ditch. I had to get some guys from a nearby orchard to help me pull it out. I was in full leathers and luckily I didn't suffer anything more than minor bruises.

The first thing I did was inspect the road. There was a tiny dried up patch of cow **** that marked the beginning of a short skid mark, followed by scratches from the bike.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, it sure is embarrassing when your mates find out, having only had the bike a short time. Main thing is you're ok.

All the best!
AMEN to full leathers. My leathers are fairly chewed up for such a low speed crash. Years ago, I wore textile jackets and kevlar jeans. Just my own opinion, but I think I would have had a lot more hurt than my pride if not for high quality Dainese leathers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear about the bike, but as most have said, at least you walked away unscathed.

Do you think it could have been some spillage or gravel on the road that caused the rear slide?
I inspected the road a fair amount. I had a lot of time to fill before the tow truck and local law enforcement arrived! The only thing I can come up with so far is that I simply applied to much additional throttle at full lean and it resulted in too much pressure on the side wall of the tire, traction control or not. I don't want anyone to be paranoid about the bike, it must have been rider error on my part. The lesson I am taking away (aside from always wearing my leathers!) is that as easy as the bike is to ride, it is still an extremely powerful superbike that must be respected.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AMEN to full leathers. My leathers are fairly chewed up for such a low speed crash. Years ago, I wore textile jackets and kevlar jeans. Just my own opinion, but I think I would have had a lot more hurt than my pride if not for high quality Dainese leathers.
Good on you, full leathers all the way! I only have one piece leathers, that way I will never give in to temptation of going out with just a jacket and jeans. It's the whole kit or no ride.

I think of fighter pilots gearing up with their fire retardant g-suit, oxygen mask, helmet etc, it's the same sort of thing. We're riding superbikes. Going out under dressed is daft and unwise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8qGbPLcJSIRNGZETEZ4dHJzbXM0MEdMSmJWSWQ0emtzS2ZB/edit?usp=sharing

Well, the sum to fix the bike is in $11,000 (gulp). What I thought was a low speed, low side small mistake is big! I love the brand, so I am not trashing on Ducati whatsoever, but if you are new to these bikes please know that it could be a small fortune if you wreck one. Now, I don't know what to do. If insurance totals it, then I'm out the money for my deductible, taxes and dealership fees for a new bike. If they don't...I pay my deductible and have it repaired- not sure I want it back if I messed it up that bad! I had originally intended to track this bike 5 or 6 times this year. I don't know that I am going to want to do that now in any condition if it could cost that much if you go down on the track.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.