Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Phil here from the 1199 forum.

I do the coring/loudifying on the stock exhausts, saw that some members on here already have my mod installed.

Will post up some pics of my recent work and some vidz.

Here's one at the Tail of the dragon:

http://youtu.be/CUS2WjYWkw4?t=7m34s

wait for the last bike, at around 7:55 you can already hear it... :D

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some pics

i used to do the VHT coating on some exhausts, not anymore though...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
what do you use to black the exhaust now?
and don't you have some different exhaust outlet options now? I was looking through that thread a while back...
price?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm assuming you can't do this without computer mods and a dynotune, right?
Do you disable the exhaust valve as well with this setup?

Sounds quite mean :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't do any coating at the house any more. (the black one on my bike was an experiment with high temp paint for BBQ grills - forget that!)

yes, there are 2 types of screens, the hex mesh and the diamond mesh with the opening.

also i can adjust the sound levels, from loud (a bit loder than stock), over to very loud (like open akras), to really loud (which is really loud)

i can achieve these levels by different cuts on the internal piping and the size of the outlet bypasses.

price is $390 plus return shipping.

shoot me an email to: [email protected] with your zip code and i get you the details, my exhaust removal playlist and a copy of the written instructions.

i had special requests for smoothing out welds, brushing, polishing, etc. can do that, all possible for reasonable cost.

if i get the exhausts with the 2 top hangers and their 4 screws i will always include proper safety wiring at no additional cost .the bolts get hot and loosen up no matter how tight you wrench them.

i take pride in the job and guarantee careful handling and packaging.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
no options for a "deep" sound like what we hear on from the termi exhaust? Lol, that's what I love. You send ppl's cats back or do you keep them?
thanks for coming over to this forum too

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kriss- the cats are punched out of the exhaust, once you go this route- no way looking back.

Phil- once I get my exhaust back... This Friday- I'll shoot some pictures. I'm still debating whether I will paint parts of the exhaust black with Duracoat.

Duracoat works well on my AR barrel, should be good enough on the muffler. Plus it touches up well...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Kriss- the cats are punched out of the exhaust, once you go this route- no way looking back. ...

I meant are the customers cat returned to them with the exhaust...they are worth a pretty penny y'know... if he's keeping them, that's a nice chunk of change he can make on the side of project work. Cats have platinum in them and can scrapped for money

·
Registered
260 Posts
could be why its <$400 (pretty cheap compaired to aftermarket exhaust) either way nice work. Do any mods need to be done to the ECU with the quieter options? I imagine with the "really loud" version its so freeflowing ECU mod is recomended?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't keeping the cats will yield out platinum like you think- the time and effort into selling all that metal would be like stepping over dollars to collect quarters. But I understand your point of view :). I used to work in an automotive shop and we had a guy hoarding all the used cats... Then again, he was also the same guy who collected cans- times must have been rough....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
our cats are small, but you can fetch $20-$40 for a used car cat that had over 100mi. These are new, I'm sure he can way more than that for each since... Just wondering, doesn't matter, I'm down for it if the sound can be made deeper

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heh, just had a mental image of a crazy cat man who hoards cat converters. When people walk past his house he yells at them and throws cats, like the crazy lady from the Simpsons, only these would hurt more and wouldn't run off after being thrown.

Actually, I think there's a guy down the street who might do that with old broken cars...

·
Registered
90 Posts
could be why its <$400 (pretty cheap compaired to aftermarket exhaust) either way nice work. Do any mods need to be done to the ECU with the quieter options? I imagine with the "really loud" version its so freeflowing ECU mod is recomended?
I opted for the really loud version, so I took the approach of using the rapid bike race controller. I also eliminated the entire secondary air system, charcoals Evan. System, and opted for block off plates to eliminate inaccurate 02 readings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i looked up getting cash for the cats (no interest from recyclers) or doing it myself (way too scary with all the chemicals needed) so i dumped them.

if you want you can get the (sometimes pretty banged up) cats and all other parts back with the shipment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Phil, do you supply the exhaust grills separately? It's easier for me to leave it stock as some UK tracks have ultra strict db regs but I love the look of those mesh inserts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Phil does good work- so here's his work and some of mine. I've decided to polish my exhaust and headers to a close-to-mirror finish. I went through the steps of 800,1000,1200,1500,2000, rough cut compound, and fine cut compound. I then painted what I couldn't get my buffer to with VHT Hi-Temp Header paint, and then Cerakoted the heatshield sleeves to Tungsten - All Hi-Temp rated. I did this because I don't believe in a 3K + Exhaust system with marginal gains.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
niiiice...none of it back on the bike yet?

what is this cerakoted stuff?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Going to be on the bike maybe.... This weekend... I'm slow like a snail with this one. Cerakote is some awesome stuff- well known I the firearms industry, excellent solvent and abrasion resistance! I'll post pics of it installed soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Here is what it looks like- that is a completely stock exhaust header- all tabs grounded and polished- cored stock exhaust properly coated. PITA to install and not scratch...

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is going to look awesome when it gets a little heat in it. I did the same to mine before sending it out to have it ceramic coated. I'm hoping the radiant heat isn't too bad without the shield.
Are you considering any type of heat shield for the shock reservoir?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts