Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm picking up a magnesium case just because it was available for a good price, unfortunately it's without the clutch protection cover. What are the options as far as replacing the part, and what do you guys like?

This is what I find after a short search:

$300+ USD~ Ducabike:

$150 USD~ Woodcraft:

$290 USD or about $100+ USD used~ Ducati (OEM):

$180 USD~ Corse Dynamics:

That's all I could find but maybe there's more. I'm leaning towards the Ducabike or the Woodcraft because I like the way they look. Just wish that the Ducabike had some spiffy anodized clutch bits for the 899 that came with it. Still haven't decided 100% but I'd be very likely to buy a slipper clutch in the future if I picked up the Ducabike cover.

Then of course I've got to pick up the $15 o-ring and maybe some new titanium bolts (or OEM $0.70 screws) because I don't think any of them come with these parts...

What's your favorite and why?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1 on the Woodcraft, that's what I'd put on if I was replacing the OEM one.

We got 'em here:
Woodcraft Billet Clutch Cover - Panigale | 60-0645RB
Seems pretty overwhelming in favor of the Woodcraft cover. Good price, looks good, and solid crash protection... you guys give sound advice.

Jarel, am I able to order the o-ring and bolts from you as well?

# 886.1.028.1A QTY. 1
# 772.5.333.7C QTY. 6

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Seems pretty overwhelming in favor of the Woodcraft cover. Good price, looks good, and solid crash protection... you guys give sound advice.

Jarel, am I able to order the o-ring and bolts from you as well?

# 886.1.028.1A QTY. 1
# 772.5.333.7C QTY. 6
Yes, any OEM parts at all for any Ducati can be ordered right from our web site. If you already have the part numbers it's a piece of cake, and if not you can use our online parts diagrams to find the part numbers you need.
Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche - Ducati Parts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Don't forget that you need the DP magnesium clutch cover kit ($643) in order to install the clutch cover itself...

"FITS ALL 1199 PANIGALE MODELS - ONLY FITS 899 PANIGALE WHEN THE OPTIONAL DUCATI PERFORMANCE MAGNESIUM CLUTCH COVER KIT HAS BEEN INSTALLED!"

Reactions: Motojunkie

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't forget that you need the DP magnesium clutch cover kit ($643) in order to install the clutch cover itself...

"FITS ALL 1199 PANIGALE MODELS - ONLY FITS 899 PANIGALE WHEN THE OPTIONAL DUCATI PERFORMANCE MAGNESIUM CLUTCH COVER KIT HAS BEEN INSTALLED!"
Lol. Did you read the first post?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Lol. Did you read the first post?
Not as closely as I should have! Sorry man!!! I just didn't want you to get caught buying a cover without the kit. There is another similar thread and someone posted that they know a dealer, Ducati Westlake, who installs these without any additional parts. Should have paid more attention! (I don't know one way or another, so I thought I would make sure that you checked.)

Personally, I like the clear cover...

Reactions: warlord

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not as closely as I should have! Sorry man!!! I just didn't want you to get caught buying a cover without the kit. There is another similar thread and someone posted that they know a dealer, Ducati Westlake, who installs these without any additional parts. Should have paid more attention! (I don't know one way or another, so I thought I would make sure that you checked.)

Personally, I like the clear cover...
Thanks for watching out, it's appreciated.

I think that you and Rowan are talking to the other half of me. I bet if I asked the wife the votes would be split 50/50!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for watching out, it's appreciated.

I think that you and Rowan are talking to the other half of me. I bet if I asked the wife the votes would be split 50/50!
We are the voice inside your head telling you what you already know...

Either way, it will look great! Good luck with your decision!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, guess I was wrong. Even though the wife liked the clear one, she also liked the woodcraft one. She said I can buy two Woodcraft covers and that I don't need a Yoyodyne slipper clutch! LOL!

So I guess the question becomes on a RED bike what color plate should I get on the Woodcraft cover?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Well, guess I was wrong. Even though the wife liked the clear one, she also liked the woodcraft one. She said I can buy two Woodcraft covers and that I don't need a Yoyodyne slipper clutch! LOL!

So I guess the question becomes on a RED bike what color plate should I get on the Woodcraft cover?
Well, I might have better luck offering a suggestion on what NOT to get... the blue plate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ill be the odd man out and vote for the ducabike one. if its a trackbike i think id get the woodcraft. also where are you getting this done? i live in il too and only know of a few places to get work done on our bikes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ill be the odd man out and vote for the ducabike one. if its a trackbike i think id get the woodcraft. also where are you getting this done? i live in il too and only know of a few places to get work done on our bikes.
Getting it done? I'll get it done in my garage, lol. The only thing I'll pay a mechanic for is scheduled maintenance. If you're asking where I get that done its mcc.

Oh and I already ordered my parts from Ducati Omaha... got the woodcraft.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Getting it done? I'll get it done in my garage, lol. The only thing I'll pay a mechanic for is scheduled maintenance. If you're asking where I get that done its mcc.

Oh and I already ordered my parts from Ducati Omaha... got the woodcraft.
How much of a ***** is it to swap out case covers for the two piece magnesium? What did it run you if you don't mind my asking? PM if necessary.

Thanks,

B

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much of a ***** is it to swap out case covers for the two piece magnesium? What did it run you if you don't mind my asking? PM if necessary.

Thanks,

B
I'm waiting for the woodcraft cover and some parts from Italy. I'll take a bunch of pictures and let you know about the install when I'm done. My investment so far is $320 on parts including oil change supplies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm waiting for the woodcraft cover and some parts from Italy. I'll take a bunch of pictures and let you know about the install when I'm done. My investment so far is $320 on parts including oil change supplies.
Any update on the install process? Think I might try and tackle this one at home but any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any update on the install process? Think I might try and tackle this one at home but any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I installed it last year.

http://www.899panigale.org/forum/89.../11825-899-clear-clutch-cover.html#post146321

As for advice; a good job is really all about properly cleaning (not marring) the gasket mating surfaces, good sealant application, and torquing the bolts down correctly. I'm sure there's generic instructions on the web for doing this. Do it right or you'll have an oil leak or worse. The process reminds me of changing the oil on a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.