Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. i put the clear tank protector to my white 899 and found out that even when installed with great carful, the out sides do not stick perfectly, leaving a gap from where dirt enters little by little, giving the tank protector looking like its dirty. I tried to remove it, but a round flake of paint of about 1/2inch came off :-( .... Now i have to remove it complete and install the carbon tank protector.

Clear one efinitelly not a good option.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

I myself always use a carbon or coloured tank protector as the clear ones over time tend to go yellowish in colour.

Reactions: RALO

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many thanks indeed! Sorry to hear that your paint is peeling, but I appreciate the sharing.

I've got the 1199 grips from Tech spec installed, and they don't seem to be sticking perfectly on a few edges, but they definitely add the grip that I was missing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I had the same problem, wouldn't stick in certain places and got dirt/water inside. I used a blow-dryer to help remove it, that saved the paint from being damaged.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Are all these problems on the white paintwork, or anyone had similar problems with the red. I've got venture shield on my red and noticed the other day that it's got a couple of creases peeling away on the underside on one side of the tail. Mentioned it to the dealer and they'll look at it when in for 1st service.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got a carbon one fitted and its been stuck on with tight insulating tape for a few days to try and give the glue a chance to set but I think it will start to peel at the edges if i'm honest because the pad is quite thick and the curves on the tank look to tight for it to stay on :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've got a carbon one fitted and its been stuck on with tight insulating tape for a few days to try and give the glue a chance to set but I think it will start to peel at the edges if i'm honest because the pad is quite thick and the curves on the tank look to tight for it to stay on :(

Take a hair dryer and heat the tank pad it will make the glue work better. Used to do it with the stomp pad on my snowboard, if I didn't heat it they always fell off

·
Registered
301 Posts
Interesting. I'd imagine this is more of a problem on the white 899.

And your paint should not have come off.. A bit of heat and these protectors should come right off.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Mine was the Ducati one from the dealer. I don't think the shape allows it to stick properly. Looks cool, but not functional. It needs some additional lines cut into it, I'm sure there are aftermarket ones for the 1199 that we could use, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts