Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, i have searched previous threads but wanted to get complete clarity on parts needed. Any small bits which may be required. For the install i have the following so far

brand new magnesium clutch cover (engine casing, 2 piece)

ducabike 2017 clear clutch cover

5 x ducabike spring caps (will need to drill out by 1mm for compatibility on an 899)

ducabond

my question is as follows which items i think i still need.

2x engine casing dowls/pins which seat the casing to the engine (unsure if removing the old would be a pita)

New o rings?

The ducabike clear cover will mate to the magnesium cover, does that bit use ducabond or is there a premade gasket to order from ducati for that section?

any other intricate parts that i may be missing please do let me know. Finally i read a thread where someone suggests put the ducabond on the clutch cover and allow it to harden then fit it to the engine? Is this correct or should the casing be attached whilst the ducabond is still wet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have done this.There are a few YouTube videos on the installation of the ducabike cover.Not so much help though on the engine cover.Let me get back to you in a couple days.If your water pump is leaking or suspect-this is the time to replace it.If you want to put in a slipper clutch-this is also the time to do it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This job is a real pain ,but when complete,with no leaks,looks amazing.This would my suggestion.Watch YouTube video by jaret campisi titled 2020 Ducati streetfighter with gorgeous clear clutch cover.Is about 8 video's back.It will give you an idea of what's involved.I would have a replacement muffler gasket and the little green o-ring that seals an oil channel.I wouldn't reuse it.Not worth the risk.And you need the large o-ring to seal your new clutch cover. (One from a 959,V2,1199 ect)Number the fasteners around the case cover on a piece of paper ect ect..You want to ensure the exact same bolt goes in the spot it came out.I used egg cartons to keep track of each of the fasteners.There are some spacers from what I remember on the plastic bracket that covers the brake lines that have to paid attention to.You will have to remove the muffler and connected horizontal exhaust pipe for access as well as the rearset.I just tied it off to the side.Drain oil.Bike on kickstand for job.Watch out for little,thin washers falling off or getting lost when you remove the cover.Everything is oily so they will probably stick to the case cover being removed or stay on the end of the shaft on the engine.Have a copy of the exploded parts diagram for this job to refer to.I used a small toothbrush sized brass wire brush to get the sealant off.Brass,not steel or stainless steel.No knifes,knifeblades ect.Try your best to keep residue from falling into the engine.Get the surface spotless.Brass brushing,rags and degereasing solvent. It takes a long long time.Clean out all the threaded holes with q tips soaked with dregreasing solvent.I also sprayed solvent into each fastener hole with the plastic extention hose that comes with the can.Then dry the holes out with air duster.Wire brush and solvent clean all the fasteners as well.Get everything clean,clean,clean.You don't want to have a leak and do this job twice.You can remove the plastic water pump gear and the other plastic gear that drives the water pump to get more room.The brake lines are a real pain as they are in the way.I spent some time with soaked q tips removing any particles of sealant ect from the engine.Get every thing ready for putting the new cover on.Little green oring,gears,washers ect,Apply sealant,manipulate cover into place without smearing and sealant,push cover straight onto engine,install fasteners and torque fasteners as per manuals sequence.I did it in 3 increasing torque steps.Not one.I did not use ducabond.It may have its own procedure for waiting before tightening fasteners.Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This job is a real pain ,but when complete,with no leaks,looks amazing.This would my suggestion.Watch YouTube video by jaret campisi titled 2020 Ducati streetfighter with gorgeous clear clutch cover.Is about 8 video's back.It will give you an idea of what's involved.I would have a replacement muffler gasket and the little green o-ring that seals an oil channel.I wouldn't reuse it.Not worth the risk.And you need the large o-ring to seal your new clutch cover. (One from a 959,V2,1199 ect)Number the fasteners around the case cover on a piece of paper ect ect..You want to ensure the exact same bolt goes in the spot it came out.I used egg cartons to keep track of each of the fasteners.There are some spacers from what I remember on the plastic bracket that covers the brake lines that
Thank you so much for sharing. I have all the parts on order but i think the small oil channel o rings i have forgotten to order and at the moment these items are all a long back log to get in. Most of the bike is apart as i tackled the valve covers both of which were leaking oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts