Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Are you sure its definately resting on the exhaust? The chain on mine sits slightly above the exhaust but is should definately not touch it. Are there any marks on it? If it is you will just have to adjust it, easy to do takes maximum 10 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I picked up my bike it was the one thing the dealer pointed out to me. He said bring it in straight away if it is touching the exhaust and they would adjust it (no charge).

Reactions: Genie

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
stretchy chain. just adjust the wheel. it shouldn't touch the chain. It most likely doesn't when the suspension has been loaded.

no pic?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look at the sticker on your swingarm, it has the chain adjustment numbers listed on it.
I see the outlined parameter for setting the proper tension. If it is not within the parameter how do i adjust it? do i move the wheel as suggested above? Or is thee another method of setting the chain tension? Thank you i would take it to my dealer as im obviously not familiar with adjustment but they are 60 or so miles from me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I picked up my bike it was the one thing the dealer pointed out to me. He said bring it in straight away if it is touching the exhaust and they would adjust it (no charge).
My dealer (Frasers, Wollongong, NSW Australia) brought this exact example to my attention at time of delivery (obviously its a known issue as the chain initially stretch's it can fowl on the exhaust), same offer, bring it in for adjustment at NO charge.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine doesn't touch my exhaust as rest although it's VERY close and when the bike has me on it, it comes up a good amount since it is within spec.

You know what worries me, is the top of the chain where it rests on that plastic strip. I can see wear on that plastic strip. What's with that?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
First you need to have a torque wrench that can do 180 Nm, and a 36mm 12-point socket or 899 rear axle nut tool such as:
http://www.motospecialties.com/stor...le&type2=Tools&category=Tools&ItemNum=04-0208

If you don't have those two things, you are out of luck. If you do, then the basic steps are:
1) Put the bike up on a rear spooled stand
2) Loosen the axle nut
3) Loosen the locknuts on each of the axle adjusters on each side
4) Turn the axle adjusters an equal amount on both sides until the chain is measured at the correct tension
4b) You have to make sure the axle blocks are seated against the adjusters fully when checking the tension, usually done by whacking the back of the tire with a mallet, fist, foot, or other such device.
5) Tighten the locknuts on the adjusters to 8Nm
6) Torque the rear axle nut to 180Nm

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure its definately resting on the exhaust? The chain on mine sits slightly above the exhaust but is should definately not touch it. Are there any marks on it? If it is you will just have to adjust it, easy to do takes maximum 10 minutes.
There is only some grease on the exhaust, no scratch marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
First you need to have a torque wrench that can do 180 Nm, and a 36mm 12-point socket or 899 rear axle nut tool such as:
http://www.motospecialties.com/stor...le&type2=Tools&category=Tools&ItemNum=04-0208

If you don't have those two things, you are out of luck. If you do, then the basic steps are:
1) Put the bike up on a rear spooled stand
2) Loosen the axle nut
3) Loosen the locknuts on each of the axle adjusters on each side
4) Turn the axle adjusters an equal amount on both sides until the chain is measured at the correct tension
4b) You have to make sure the axle blocks are seated against the adjusters fully when checking the tension, usually done by whacking the back of the tire with a mallet, fist, foot, or other such device.
5) Tighten the locknuts on the adjusters to 8Nm
6) Torque the rear axle nut to 180Nm
It doesn't hurt to also sight-line the chain to make sure it's running straight from the rear sprocket. I have a MotionPro chain tool that I use. It clamps to the sprocket. I haven't used it yet on the Pani, but do so on my other bike whenever I pop the rear wheel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The day I picked up my bike & went to my family's place to show them I noticed the same thing (appeared that the chain was to close to the exhaust). I thought the chain had scratched the exhaust but using my finger to clean it it was just grease. I sent photos to the dealership right away & they came back with 'it's normal as long as it's not touching'. I did get on the bike & had my buddy look & the clearance changes with me on it (155pounds).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.