Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple different kinds out there, can someone please recommend a solid mount? The Ram Mount one, feels a bit suspect and i'm afraid overtime it might come off the steering stem. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm going to be using the RAM b342. It's easy to install and doesn't require replacing the stem nut -it's also pretty darn affordable. That said there's a right way and a wrong way to install it so I'll probably do a DIY so that people can see that it's not a crappy mount it's all in how it's installed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm going to be using the RAM b342. It's easy to install and doesn't require replacing the stem nut -it's also pretty darn affordable. That said there's a right way and a wrong way to install it so I'll probably do a DIY so that people can see that it's not a crappy mount it's all in how it's installed.
I don't think the RAM B342 stem mount will work on the Panigale, since it doesn't have a "tube" steering stem.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. It's listed as compatible with the Panigale so if it's not -its going back.

Definitely post up if you figure out how to make it work, we have those kits in stock and I have not been selling them for Panigales because I didn't think they'd work. They have a "mushroom" rubber spacer that is designed to be held in place inside of a tubular steering head by expanding out and the friction holds it in. The Panigale steering stem nut is hollow inside so I don't see how it could be held in place. Where'd you get that photo showing it installed?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Definitely post up if you figure out how to make it work, we have those kits in stock and I have not been selling them for Panigales because I didn't think they'd work. They have a "mushroom" rubber spacer that is designed to be held in place inside of a tubular steering head by expanding out and the friction holds it in. The Panigale steering stem nut is hollow inside so I don't see how it could be held in place. Where'd you get that photo showing it installed?
I found it on google before I bought the parts, it's also listed on the RAM site as compatible. The image url is from GPS city.

If it can be mounted I'll get it done. If it takes any modifications in order to mount it, I'll make sure to include that info as well.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
so any news? wanna know if it fits
I ordered it from a 'reputable' company on ebay on the 14th and they never shipped it so I'm going to have to order it from some one else. I've figured out how mount it with 100% certainty so when I finally get one I'll post up the install procedure with a parts list unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
****, I have a whole pile of them in stock, I could have sent you one! What is the method you plan to use to mount it, since it's a press-fit friction tube in rubber mounted inside of a hollow steering stem nut, I don't see how it's going to work. I talked to RAM about it, and they admitted that they didn't actually fit it up to a Panigale themselves before listing it as being compatible, they had a customer tell them that it would fit and they took his word for it. I saw the photos of how he mounted it, and what he did was just insert it partially into the steering stem nut just past the lip, and then crank the **** out of the screw until it tightened up against the lip on the nut. So you could literally grab it and give it a tug, and it would come right out! This is a VERY BAD and VERY INSECURE way to mount any type of expensive electronic device.

·
Registered
322 Posts
****, I have a whole pile of them in stock, I could have sent you one! What is the method you plan to use to mount it, since it's a press-fit friction tube in rubber mounted inside of a hollow steering stem nut, I don't see how it's going to work. I talked to RAM about it, and they admitted that they didn't actually fit it up to a Panigale themselves before listing it as being compatible, they had a customer tell them that it would fit and they took his word for it. I saw the photos of how he mounted it, and what he did was just insert it partially into the steering stem nut just past the lip, and then crank the **** out of the screw until it tightened up against the lip on the nut. So you could literally grab it and give it a tug, and it would come right out! This is a VERY BAD and VERY INSECURE way to mount any type of expensive electronic device.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty stupid way to mount it.

I have to see it to confirm the best method for mounting but I have a good selection of stainless hardware available to play with. It'll likely be a stainless lock nut, washer, neoprene gasket, and allen head bolt or possibly a stainless toggle, neoprene gasket, and allen head bolt. I have additional ideas but I'm not likely to use any of the stock parts.

I would never suggest a mounting method I haven't personally tested so that's why I was hesitant to start throwing out mounting ideas.

Also, I haven't purchase another one yet so if your offer stands, let me know. I looked but I couldn't find it listed on your site.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty stupid way to mount it.

I have to see it to confirm the best method for mounting but I have a good selection of stainless hardware available to play with. It'll likely be a stainless lock nut, washer, neoprene gasket, and allen head bolt or possibly a stainless toggle, neoprene gasket, and allen head bolt. I have additional ideas but I'm not likely to use any of the stock parts.

I would never suggest a mounting method I haven't personally tested so that's why I was hesitant to start throwing out mounting ideas.

Also, I haven't purchase another one yet so if your offer stands, let me know. I looked but I couldn't find it listed on your site.
The challenge is getting a mount like that that doesn't require the steering stem nut to be removed from the bike. You can take the nut off the bike, and bolt anything to it, that's the easy part, but most folks don't have the equipment necessary to remove the steering stem nut at home.

Yes, I have not listed those mounts on our site because they don't work! Ha ha! PM me your address and I'll mail one out to you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought it may have just been me with the RAM mount not working, installed it a couple of weeks ago but it was just not secure.

Doesn't matter what you do with it it will not work. Just grab it and pull it out.

I defiantly don't want to change my stem nut so I'll just go without until there is another choice.

Maybe I will have to go with the Telfreizer mount, seems to be the only one that works. Only problem is bloody postage to Australia and our crappy dollar!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.