Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The quick shift only works going up... so use the clutch for 1st and then go to 2nd, 3rd, etc. by just shifting, but definitely use the lever to downshift from any gear.

You have to stay steady on the throttle; do not come off any at all.
Got it. I think that's what I was doing and I did notice that the DQS would not work if I backed off the throttle.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'll have to practice. Off topic, but do you have a video of rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear and taking it to redline so I can get an idea of when the wheel comes up and how quickly it comes up? Thanks. 200 miles left before I can open it up.
I believe mine came up around 8k in 2nd, race mode only. Sport mode doesn't seem to want to do it at all. And as soon as it came up, it hit the limiter FAST lol.

Got it. I think that's what I was doing and I did notice that the DQS would not work if I backed off the throttle.
Correct, it really won't work right if you let off the throttle at all.

The only issue I have with my DQS is occasionally (1 out of 5 shifts maybe) going into third from second it will give a false neutral and whack the limiter. It's not consistent and I don't know why it does it. I was going to ask the dealer to look into it on my next (7,500 mile) service. I've NEVER had a 1-2 shift issue with the DQS. I've stopped doing them, mostly, after reading on here it wasn't really recommended.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe mine came up around 8k in 2nd, race mode only. Sport mode doesn't seem to want to do it at all. And as soon as it came up, it hit the limiter FAST lol.

The only issue I have with my DQS is occasionally (1 out of 5 shifts maybe) going into third from second it will give a false neutral and whack the limiter. It's not consistent and I don't know why it does it. I was going to ask the dealer to look into it on my next (7,500 mile) service. I've NEVER had a 1-2 shift issue with the DQS. I've stopped doing them, mostly, after reading on here it wasn't really recommended.
Hmm.. I'll definitely have to watch out for that. What I don't want to do is break the **** thing, haha. I think I'm confusing myself because on my R6 I had changed the shift lever for reversed (GP) shifting as it felt more natural. So when people say upshift I think going from 2nd->3rd->4th etc and I think they may mean otherwise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Will testing the DQS cause any danger if done wrong? like say, shifting without enough rpm. will that stall the bike or cause it to shoot forward?

·
Registered
691 Posts
it won't even shift with low rpm or throttle
Mine will shift at "low" rpms. I've usually only tried going from 2nd to 3rd around 4k-5k, I think. The throttle needs to be constant or increasing for sure. Some of the mis-shifts I've had with the DQS was me brain-farting and letting off the throttle a bit like I would with using the lever. I don't count those as DQS errors, those are MY errors.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Try lowering your shift pedal just a bit and that should eliminate the false neutrals you're experiencing, we see that all the time on the track and that solutions works 99% of the time.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Will testing the DQS cause any danger if done wrong? like say, shifting without enough rpm. will that stall the bike or cause it to shoot forward?

I've had my bike since November and I've only had one issue with DQS. When I was on the highway I was hard on the throttle in 3rd gear and tried to shift to 4th. It seemed like it hit neutral for a sec, the bike revved like crazy and my rev warning lights came on. the bike felt like it was in neutral and had no drive forward. I clutched in, looked at the dash and it still said 3rd. With the clutch in, I shifted to fourth, let it out and I had power again. This issue never happened again. Not sure exactly what was going on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Does anyone read their owners manuals anymore?
The owners manual hardly goes into any detail about the quick shifter. And for many of us, the quick shifter is new to us. Doesn't anyone read the thread before commenting anymore?

·
Registered
174 Posts
No offence intended. Asking questions is of course what the forum is for. However I did read the manual and the entire thread.

Ducati Quick Shift (DQS)
The Ducati Quick Shift (DQS) is the electronic shifter control system used for racing purposes that allows the rider to shift up under acceleration without using the clutch and keeping the throttle open.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yes, the manual doesn't say anything about it. Just kinda acknowledges that it's there.

I like it so far, the but the shifting isn't as smooth as letting off the throttle a lil for street driving. The DQS seems more built for hard acceleration, it's a lot smoother.

I find for street driving, I achieve the smoothest shift reducing the throttle a lil, and clutchless shift. Hard acceleration, just keep the throttle where it is, and shift with no clutch

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your bike will shift noticeably smoother once the engine is broken in, after say 1000 miles or so. Pretty much every Ducati is that way, they set the tolerances really tight at the factory and once it loosens up it should be like butter! Ideally, light to heavy acceleration is required for DQS to work correctly, if you're at neutral throttle and sort of coasting then it's not going to make a very smooth shift.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The DQS works best on a track at full throttle. I had to remind myself to use it, but once I did... major improvement. So smooth ripping up through the gears. (posted a video in the video section)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not worth using the quick shifter in low rpm's anyways, it does hang on a bit long and seem clumsy. At hight rpms like above 6k it works like butter and when you would want to us it anyways. If I'm just cruising around I use the clutch, if I'm get the rpm's up quick shifter all day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My DQS goes into Neutral from time to time when I do a lazy shift. I sometimes use the clutch esp in traffic, or when I am line splitting (Legal in NSW now) at slow speeds. Besides that I tend to use it on or off the throttle little clumsy off the throttle but, its saves me from clutching in all the time.

I do get miss shifts from 4-5 or sometimes 3-4 ... usually coz I was being lazy and didn't follow through with the shift.

Oh one more thing.. make sure you are wearing some riding boots seems to help as it provides a better shift.

As for wheelies', pulled 2 not on purpose, kinda realized **** **** things in the air, was flatout in 1st then second, wheel came up after take off .. wasn't because of a quick clutch release.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Didn't read through all the post, but the ones i read are all good advice, but it seems like you still have some confusion. DQS works no matter what gear you are in. However, you do have to be on the throttle (don't have to be wide open or at a certain RPM) and it will shift. When you forget and blimp (let off and get back on the gas quick), it will most likely catch a false neural. Someone meantioned range of RPMs in gears — that i don't know. Haven't tried it, but I will tomorrow. ;0)

As far as down shifts on the 899, you will need to purchase that push/pull shifter linkage from an 1199 (II know 'cause i tried it).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be clunky and giving false neutrals. Check your pedal position and make sure it's not too high for your foot. You can hear the shifting at full throttle using the quick-shifter in my video link, just listen right at the beginning when I'm going down the straight, it's just bang-bang-bang up from 3rd to 6th gear. This is at full throttle with no roll-off and using no clutch, just the quick-shifter.

899 Panigale MAM April 2014 - YouTube
I'll have to practice. Off topic, but do you have a video of rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear and taking it to redline so I can get an idea of when the wheel comes up and how quickly it comes up? Thanks. 200 miles left before I can open it up.

Took the words out of my mouth: I just got an 899 and have been wondering the same thing.

My last bike was a ninja 300, all this torque makes me think I'm gonna wheelie accidentally and lose control. So I've been riding kind of conservative and holding back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I cant even highlight the DQS option in the R.M. settings menu to activate/deactivate it. I've looked through the owners manual and followed the instructions, and I can see where "DQS" should light up, but i cannot highlight that option to adjust it.

Any suggestions?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts