Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the concept, shifting without the clutch but are there certain parameters for it to work? For example do you have to be wide open throttle or certain rpm? I messed around with it shifting around 7k rpm (still breaking in) but it seems clumsy and misses the gear sometimes. Like it over revs. Is it even active in sport mode?

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey its pretty much like a what ppl call a clutchless shift, where you preload the gear shifter (not to hard just 1 or 2 lbs of pressure is enough ) then you blip the throttle and the gear shifter should pop into the next gear. caution on 1st gear to 2nd as I've heard a lot of ppl don't shift into 2nd cuz their stuck on neutral.

you can shift it at any rpm thats within that gear range regardless of wot or rpm.

i think it on in sports mode. you would know if its on cuz on the dash it would say DQS.

IMO ( i know I'm gonna get negativity on this so again i repeat IMO ) i don't like clutch less shifting just cuz theres a clutch lever. its there for a REASON. yea i can agree on that it can shave on 1/20 of a second with each shift, which does add up on the track. but this bike is more meant for the street. AGAIN FOR ALL THE TROLLS IMO!!!!

doing clutchless shifting when you don't know what your doing can cause it to grind gears.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The quick-shifter is designed to work in one swift shifting motion, DO NOT pre-load the lever before shifting, DO NOT touch the shift lever until you're ready to shift. In one swift motion, just move your foot through the entire range of the shifter's travel and you'll find that it cuts the ignition just enough to allow the shift to happen smoothly with full contact of the gears. The DQS system is dynamic based upon the RPM, gear and throttle position, so it will make a longer cut when you're at lower rpms at partial throttle than it does at higher rpms at full throttle. If it's not working smoothly for you, check your technique against want I posted. Once you get used to it, you'll never want a bike without a quick-shifter again, I promise!

P.S. - Clutch levers are SOOOO yesterday! :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
So don't roll off throttle at all?
No that's the whole point of the quick-shifter, you don't need to pull in the clutch or roll off the throttle at all, just keep a steady throttle and hit the shifter lever with your foot and it will snick right into the next gear like magic!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quick shifting only works going up the gears... so pull that clutch to downshift. Unless you install an auto blip downshifter.

On a side note watching some of the video reviews I find it annoying to see the reviewers not using the quick shifter...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I haven't taken mine to the track yet. But I use the quick shift mostly when getting in the hwy with a group of bikes and I always use a hand signal indicating lane changes. Ramping up thru the gear with my left arm out, the quick shift makes it so easy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be clunky and giving false neutrals. Check your pedal position and make sure it's not too high for your foot. You can hear the shifting at full throttle using the quick-shifter in my video link, just listen right at the beginning when I'm going down the straight, it's just bang-bang-bang up from 3rd to 6th gear. This is at full throttle with no roll-off and using no clutch, just the quick-shifter.

899 Panigale MAM April 2014 - YouTube

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be clunky and giving false neutrals. Check your pedal position and make sure it's not too high for your foot. You can hear the shifting at full throttle using the quick-shifter in my video link, just listen right at the beginning when I'm going down the straight, it's just bang-bang-bang up from 3rd to 6th gear. This is at full throttle with no roll-off and using no clutch, just the quick-shifter.

899 Panigale MAM April 2014 - YouTube
I'll have to practice. Off topic, but do you have a video of rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear and taking it to redline so I can get an idea of when the wheel comes up and how quickly it comes up? Thanks. 200 miles left before I can open it up.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'll have to practice. Off topic, but do you have a video of rolling on the throttle in 2nd gear and taking it to redline so I can get an idea of when the wheel comes up and how quickly it comes up? Thanks. 200 miles left before I can open it up.
Sorry, I would never do a wheelie on purpose, the fastest way around the track is with both wheels on the ground! ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried the shift again. First time I was in 4th. There was a hesitation sounded like it shifted but stayed in 4th. Tried again, this time it over reved like the clutch slipped but did change gears. I'm definitely not doing something right.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Push the lever the same way you would if you were upshifting with the clutch, only don't use the clutch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It seems like something might be wrong. I never used a quick shift before test riding my dealer demo 899. Like Jarel said, just keep the throttle open and hook up the gear lever without touching the clutch. It should instantly change up "like magic". It certainly did when I gave the demo a good blast and it works nicely on my bike.

I only have 300km to go before mine is fully run in but I have been using the DQS since the first service was done. I use it when I'm accelerating quickly and I take it to 7,000rpm. I only ever open the throttle to about 2/3rds to save overloading the engine during running in and even doing this the QS works beautifully. The only problem I have had (once) was it dropped back to neutral a second or two after changing from 1st to 2nd. I've never tried it from 1st to 2nd since. I will when she's fully run in.

I don't use the QS for normal gear changes around town. I don't think it's designed for that (why would you need an instant gear change for pootling along behind traffic?).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hate to dredge up this old post but I'm still really unclear on when DQS can be used. Should it only be from shifting gears say from 2nd to 3rd to 4th? Or the other way around, downshifting from say 6th to 5th to 4th and so on... I've read a few threads and the only thing that's really talked about is how to not baby it and be deliberate if you're going to utilize it.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Hate to dredge up this old post but I'm still really unclear on when DQS can be used. Should it only be from shifting gears say from 2nd to 3rd to 4th? Or the other way around, downshifting from say 6th to 5th to 4th and so on... I've read a few threads and the only thing that's really talked about is how to not baby it and be deliberate if you're going to utilize it.
You can use DQS up shifting to any gear. It's not for downshifting. I ride normally using the clutch, but then if I'm going to grab a handful of throttle and power through the gears (on track, hard acceleration from a stop, accelerating fast to merge onto a highway, etc) then I just use the DQS. All you do is up shift without pulling the clutch. If you're just putting around town at low RPMs not accelerating hard then just leave it alone and ride normally.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The quick shift only works going up... so use the clutch for 1st and then go to 2nd, 3rd, etc. by just shifting, but definitely use the lever to downshift from any gear.

You have to stay steady on the throttle; do not come off any at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can use DQS up shifting to any gear. It's not for downshifting. I ride normally using the clutch, but then if I'm going to grab a handful of throttle and power through the gears (on track, hard acceleration from a stop, accelerating fast to merge onto a highway, etc) then I just use the DQS. All you do is up shift without pulling the clutch. If you're just putting around town at low RPMs not accelerating hard then just leave it alone and ride normally.
Makes sense, thanks! Is rev-matching OK while i'm still breaking the bike in?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts