• BMW HP4

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for quite sometime now, as i was pretty dead set on buying a 899 when i got my full licence and money.

Now that the time has come I find my self i quite a deliema. I have always had a soft spot for ducati's since i was a little kid and love the 899. Now that i have the money to upgrade to a bigger bike i have found a 2nd hand 2013 HP4 for a fair bit cheaper than a new 899, although it needs a bit of work seen its damaged a little. After repairs it comes to much the same price of the 899. I always wanted a HP4 ever since they first came out, but hardly any came into NZ and the new s1000rr is out of my price range.

So I cant decided which bike i should get... I just want both :(

899 or HP4?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Both. If not both, get some test riding in on both if both fulfill your needs—and by needs I mean riding needs. : )

I consider this a bit of an apple to oranges comparison since there is a power difference between the two that's pretty significant. What kind of riding are you thinking of doing with either bike? What skill level are you / # of years have you been riding? Give us some insight and we'll be able to provide you with our opinions. : )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both. If not both, get some test riding in on both if both fulfill your needs—and by needs I mean riding needs. : )

I consider this a bit of an apple to oranges comparison since there is a power difference between the two that's pretty significant. What kind of riding are you thinking of doing with either bike? What skill level are you / # of years have you been riding? Give us some insight and we'll be able to provide you with our opinions. : )
been riding for about 4 years now, done mx as well. I'd say i'm better than alot of riders haha. have a few good friends who race and say i should start racing (no money though) as I'm really good.

I mainly ride road which is quite spirited and alot of twisty roads, and hardly any motorway riding (none where i live) also do around 5-10 trackdays in summer which ill be using same bike for.

Im not to worried about the power difference as only time ill get to use 90-100% of it will be on track anyway.

sadly I wont have a chance to ride the 899 as my closest dealer dosnt have a demo anymore but they have a new one sitting on the floor so atlest ill get to sit on it and see how it feels stationary haha. I'll be riding the 2015 s1000rr which is pretty much they same as the hp4 anyway so ill get a idea there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On the tracks I ride, the big bikes have no advantage over the small bikes. The straights just aren't long enough. The 899 has plenty of power for my needs. Also, I think it's probably the consensus that you start track riding/racing on a smaller bike, so that you learn how to conserve power/corner speed. That seems to be what most people think of as the best way to then move to a Liter bike. The HP4 is an awesome bike, from what I've been told. But the Ducati soft spot is strong...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Assuming you are both street and track, get the hp4.
If you are street only, the bmw is a lot more comfortable and the higher torque/hp can make the ride easier.
If you are track only and below advance rider level than get the 899, the hp brake markers and speed is a bit much to practice.
If you are track and is at a competitive level, get the hp4.
If you are street and want the sexier ride, get the 899, yes most people will acknowledge a panigale more, way more than any other bike.

i personally think the hp4 is a sexier bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently own both bikes and either one would be a great choice. The HP4 is much smoother, more comfortable and easier to ride around town. The heated grips are great on cool mornings. I bought the HP4 first but after a summer of track riding, I decided to get an 899 because the power of the HP4 outmatched my skills. The 899 is a fun bike, sounds great and handles really well. The motor puts off a ton of heat which can be uncomfortable. The 899 suspension is not as good as the HP4 and the 899 motor requires a lot of shifting on the track to stay in the power band. The HP4 motor is strong and smooth across the entire rev range and has a much needed slipper clutch for the track. If I had only one bike, it would be the HP4. That being said, the 899 makes me smile more than any bike I have owned. The HP4 is the solid Midwestern girl who you want to bring home to mom. The 899 is the supermodel who can be annoying but who you want all your friends to see you with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts