Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted a while back about trying to find some different pads for the front brakes because I wasn't a fan of the feel and feedback I was getting. Ferodo is listing a pad for the front of the 899 now, part number FDB2265. What's interesting is that it's listing as compatible bikes with the Brembo M4.32 calipers as the following: MV Agusta Rivale 800 (2013), Ducati Hyper 821/821SP (2013), the new Moster 1200 (non S version), BMW RnineT (2014), R1200GS (2013), R1200 GS Adventure (2014), R1200 RT (2014), and Aprilia Caponord 1200 (2013).

Aside from the 899, none of these bikes are really sport/track oriented, so I'm wondering how fast manufatureres are going to be to get high performance pads for this bike to market. I'm also curious if different pads are going to considerably change the feel since the stock pads are already sintered HH pads.

EBC is now listing sintered HH pads (part number FA630HH) for the 899 as well. Maybe I'll just pull the trigger and see if they are different. I had EBC pads on my Honda and loved them

·
Registered
6 Posts
The brakes on the 899 are def lacking feel and initial bite. in my opinion they are pretty bad. I have a new master cylinder on order. please let us know if the pads make any difference

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The brakes on the 899 are def lacking feel and initial bite. in my opinion they are pretty bad. I have a new master cylinder on order. please let us know if the pads make any difference
I think I'm going with the Ferodo Sintergrip ST HH rated pads. I've been checking everyone (vesrah, Carbone Lorraine and others) and very few companies make pads for this caliper yet. None of the distributors I've found carry the Ferodo pads that fit the 899 yet, so I emailed their US distributor today. Hopefully I get a response back pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
There are no race pads for the 899 calipers yet. Ferodo is "working on it" but it's going to be a while. The market is going to be very small for this pad design in a race compound, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Why Ducati elected to put those calipers on the 899 instead of using the M50 monoblocs from the 848 Evo I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok, so some good news trying to get replacement pads. Aprilia put these same calipers on the 2014 Tuono (ABS model ONLY!).

AF1 Racing just started carrying them on their site. I ordered them today, so we'll see how it goes. I'll post up pics and feedback as soon as possible.

AF1 Racing : Aprilia Parts and Accessories: Ferodo Sintered Front Brake Pads -Tuono V4 ABS -
There are plenty of street pads available for those calipers, the problem is that no one is making track/race pads for them yet.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are plenty of street pads available for those calipers, the problem is that no one is making track/race pads for them yet.
I understand that, and I'm not looking for race pads. This bike will see occasional track use, but is mainly going to stay on the street. I just want a little bit more initial bite and I'm hoping to get that with the Ferodos.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I understand that, and I'm not looking for race pads. This bike will see occasional track use, but is mainly going to stay on the street. I just want a little bit more initial bite and I'm hoping to get that with the Ferodos.
If you want more bite, you may be better off getting you brake lines replaced with steel braided ones (steel braided lines have less swell than standard brake lines, when you apply pressure to the brake lever) you need to understand too that a sintered brake pad will wear your discs faster.

Weigh up your options first before laying out the $$$

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want more bite, you may be better off getting you brake lines replaced with steel braided ones (steel braided lines have less swell than standard brake lines, when you apply pressure to the brake lever) you need to understand too that a sintered brake pad will wear your discs faster.

Weigh up your options first before laying out the $$$
Umm, I thought the stock lines were already braided... Not only that, but they go to the ABS system, then seperate lines to the calipers. I've put stainless lines on previous bikes and done the two line superbike kit from Hel, but I'm not so sure on this one. I'm definately not interested in bypassing the ABS system, so I figured I'd try a different compound. What's the issue with that?

In a previous post, Jarel was talking about swapping out the lines and said "Due to the ABS, the brake lines are very complicated, with both stainless braided sections as well as steel sections in the lines."

Also on the 1199 forums he stated "on an ABS bike it's a major PITA to replace the brake lines so I wouldn't bother unless it's a race bike and will never be a street bike again. The ABS brake lines have a steel section in the middle of the line that is difficult to replicate with a traditional brake line, requires different mounting, etc."

I do actually look stuff up before spending money. I'm not quite sure why you think that I don't. As for the sintered pads wearing out the disks, the stock 899 pads are sintered. The Ferodos on the other hand advertise reduced drag and 20% less rotor wear than competing sintered pads. Is it true? Not sure but I intend to find out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
@Evolution, sorry for the confusion, my bad, yeah the lines are a combo of steel line and braided line (black plastic resin coating), not seeing the sparkly bling that usually comes with steel braided line got me a little messed up.

Fully understand how you are looking for a different compound, considering that sintered pads are the top of the food chain, all the best for your search and I hope Ferodo can deliver for you....

It was only a "in general" comment that I was making in regards to "weighing up options before laying out the $$$", no offence was ever intended

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Evolution, sorry for the confusion, my bad, yeah the lines are a combo of steel line and braided line (black plastic resin coating), not seeing the sparkly bling that usually comes with steel braided line got me a little messed up.

Fully understand how you are looking for a different compound, considering that sintered pads are the top of the food chain, all the best for your search and I hope Ferodo can deliver for you....

It was only a "in general" comment that I was making in regards to "weighing up options before laying out the $$$", no offence was ever intended
No worries. This bike is on a whole different level of technology than anything I've ever had before. I'm still trying to figure it out. My old CBR was Stone Age compared to this bike. Just trying to figure out what I can do to it without messing anything up too terribly.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So this all went better than I expected. I ordered the Ferodo pads from AF1 Racing Thursday afternoon. They showed up in my mailbox today with only the standard shipping. Took about 10 minutes to install, then went out half the day to bed them and put them to use.

Exactly what I was looking for! More initial bite, and much more feel and power as you are progressing through the pull which is what I wanted.

In other news, I read a Motorcyclist magazine review of the 2014 Tuono ABS today, and they said the brakes lacked bite and felt like they lacked power throughout the range (the 2014 Tuono ABS has the M4.32 caliper/ 9MP ABS setup). I was not surprised.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So this all went better than I expected. I ordered the Ferodo pads from AF1 Racing Thursday afternoon. They showed up in my mailbox today with only the standard shipping. Took about 10 minutes to install, then went out half the day to bed them and put them to use.

Exactly what I was looking for! More initial bite, and much more feel and power as you are progressing through the pull which is what I wanted.

In other news, I read a Motorcyclist magazine review of the 2014 Tuono ABS today, and they said the brakes lacked bite and felt like they lacked power throughout the range (the 2014 Tuono ABS has the M4.32 caliper/ 9MP ABS setup). I was not surprised.

part number??

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well (and I'm sure others have their own opinion), since I went from a sintered pad to a sintered pad and the bike only has 2,400 miles, I didn't do anything to clean up the rotors. Galfer and Brake Tech (Ferodo's US distributor) recommend bead blasting to remove heavy deposits, but I don't think that was necessary with the limited use these rotors have seen.

As for bed in, the pads didn't come with instructions so I just went with what I usually do. EBC recommends easy brake application for a long time (200-300 miles) followed by 10 hard brake applications from 60-20 in succession. Galfer says slow stops from 10-15 mph then increase in blocks of 10 mph until you are stopping from 50 mph. They recommend doing it 2-3 times like that. I usually do what EBC recommends and take it easy followed by hard applications.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well (and I'm sure others have their own opinion), since I went from a sintered pad to a sintered pad and the bike only has 2,400 miles, I didn't do anything to clean up the rotors. Galfer and Brake Tech (Ferodo's US distributor) recommend bead blasting to remove heavy deposits, but I don't think that was necessary with the limited use these rotors have seen.

As for bed in, the pads didn't come with instructions so I just went with what I usually do. EBC recommends easy brake application for a long time (200-300 miles) followed by 10 hard brake applications from 60-20 in succession. Galfer says slow stops from 10-15 mph then increase in blocks of 10 mph until you are stopping from 50 mph. They recommend doing it 2-3 times like that. I usually do what EBC recommends and take it easy followed by hard applications.
ok so i did maybe 25 miles on the street with these with some hard stops then right to the track, initial bite is better, mine transferred a lot of pad material to the rotor resulting in a dark grey appearance and the lever feel after that transfer of material is different, its not a grinding but i can definitely perceive a difference in the feel of the level al low speeds. either way, the pad worked great

on a side note, the ABS on the bike is very aggressive, i turned it off for the first time at the track this weekend, it was like some put a different set of brakes on the bike, night and day better with the ABS off

1 - 20 of 59 Posts