Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear brake fluid is **** near black

Ive only done 2000 miles. Is this normal? Doesnt look like it should be that colour.

My front brake fluid is getting darker also.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The black color can be from contaminates entering the system and blackening when they get hot. Take your bike to your dealer and have them look at it. They may suggest that you flush the fluid and let them check your braking system.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I based my response on the general viewpoint that the fluids should remain relatively clear, however considering the number of miles and experience of other forum members with this bike, I defer to them...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I run the Motul RBF600 in my bike and my car, it's good stuff.

One caveat though: Racing fluid like this needs to be changed MORE often than standard brake fluid, so don't think that putting in higher quality fluid means you can go longer between fluid changes, it's the opposite.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
wow, that's some black ****.

i'd definitely suck that out and put in some new fluid... but I guess since the reservoir is sitting right over the engine, It would exposed to more heat and shortened life span

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's common on these bikes that the rear brake fluid turn black fairly quickly. Seems to be from the heat. I'm at 4,350 or so and have replaced my fluid twice. My clutch and front brake have darkened a bit but not too much.
I read about this rear brake fluid blackening elsewhere on here some months ago (I don't have time to find the thread to link it). Anyway, it definitely seems "normal" for our bikes.

My rear fluid also went dark very quickly. I've done 3,200km so far and it's very dark. The brake works fine though and that's the main thing. If my front fluid went that colour, I would be less at ease about it and replace it but for a rear brake - no worries. It must be the heat from the engine, as is the popular, and reasonable consensus. Don't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run the Motul RBF600 in my bike and my car, it's good stuff.

One caveat though: Racing fluid like this needs to be changed MORE often than standard brake fluid, so don't think that putting in higher quality fluid means you can go longer between fluid changes, it's the opposite.

Iam only at 550 miles and my rear fluid is black. thank god i only have
50 miles to go before my first service.
so Jarelj, how often to i have to change the Motul RBF600 if i decide to use that? and what clutch fluid you recommand?

THANK YOU.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think the spec is like 7500 miles or 2 years, but I change mine a lot more often than that on my track bike. Clutch fluid twice a year, brake fluid 4 times a year. I do my car brake fluid twice a year also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.