Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i have owned my 899 for 1.5 years now and for the last 4 months i have been running into the following problem:

after 5-10 minutes of riding the bike starts doing weird stuff in the 3000-5000rpm rev range.
when around 3500rpm a deep honing tone comes out of the exhaust and it picks up revs more difficult with the same amount of gas than it would do usually. it picks up untill 5000rpm where it kinda gets stuck. if i give it slighly more gas, the revs won't increase eventhough you can hear the bike is trying. at that moment the bike starts backfiring constantly like an antilag system on a car. When turning the gas even more open, it snaps out of 5000rpm range with a big pull, and runs perfectly fine above 5000rpm.

in the beginning it threw a check engine light but that dissapeared after a few rides. i have an appointment at the dealer on oktober 1st to see if they can find the problem, but i figuered one of you might know what the issue is.

What i have checked so far:
  • exhaustvalve, disconnected the servo power cable. engine light dissapeared from dash, but problem remained.
  • map sensors, checked and tested the map sensors. both still working.

Also ordered a obd2 reader to try and read possible codes before visiting the dealer on oktober 1st.

I also went out with my gopro to try and capture this weird surging and rpm problem, although i did film it, it is very hard to see and hear the issue but i would still like for you guys to take a look :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might get some good info from the ECU. Here is what I use to check engine codes, reset service reminders and more:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might get some good info from the ECU. Here is what I use to check engine codes, reset service reminders and more:
After checking the codes with melcodiag i found 3 codes, 2 from the map sensors i dis-and-reconnected before and 1 from exhaust valve i disconnected before. cleared them all, but on the second diagnose, the code of the vertical Map sensor remained; "Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Vertical Circuit Malfunction". So i think i can pinpoint the culprit!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If I got the right part number (#10 - 55241571A), the pressure sensor is about $140 here in the US. Not cheap, but not too bad either. And it looks like it's pretty easy to replace.
Vertebrate Product Organism Mammal Font

·
Registered
66 Posts
As for the exhaust valve, nothing wrong with keeping the cable disconnected... you will see an error in the ECU with MelcoDiag but it won't be displayed on the dash. I removed the entire servo /cable assembly and I'm using a servo emulator device (Vizi-Tec) so I don't get any codes, but again it's not necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I got the right part number (#10 - 55241571A), the pressure sensor is about $140 here in the US. Not cheap, but not too bad either. And it looks like it's pretty easy to replace.
View attachment 41156
Thanks for the support mate! Already on it. its about 100,- euros here, but the delivery is between 2-4 weeks. So will contact the dealer tomorrow to see if they have any in stock, and let them replace it since im visiting them this friday anyways. If they don't, i will order it myself and replace it. :)

UPDATE: Sensor was the culprit, bike runs insanely smooth again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts