Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody knows what kind of tool and size to remove the stock bar ends? thx much!

·
Registered
337 Posts
T-60 torx fits the stock ones.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I bought T60 torx for Harbor Freight and didn't work ...I wish They had 12mm alien to try but it's too late now I got them off . Boy there pretty heavy and longer compare to the Ducati performance one. I wonder if they're used for balancing the bike and changing them will affect the performance ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought T60 torx for Harbor Freight and didn't work ...I wish They had 12mm alien to try but it's too late now I got them off . Boy there pretty heavy and longer compare to the Ducati performance one. I wonder if they're used for balancing the bike and changing them will affect the performance ?

I might be wrong, but think the weight is to help reduce vibration.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I might be wrong, but think the weight is to help reduce vibration.

What he said! They are weighted to correctly offset the vibrational resonance in the handlebar tube. They are not 100% though for everyone, some people may need heavier or lighter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
May I ask how you eventully got them off? I couldn't find a 12mm Allen key? No store in NY sold anything more then a 10mm. So I tired a T60 and it didn't work. Finally got a 12mm Allen online and tried tonight but it won't budge.

·
Registered
723 Posts
May I ask how you eventully got them off? I couldn't find a 12mm Allen key? No store in NY sold anything more then a 10mm. So I tired a T60 and it didn't work. Finally got a 12mm Allen online and tried tonight but it won't budge.
Use a breaker bar, makes it a piece of cake.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Well the allen you bought it most likely a 1/2" drive not a 3/8". A breaker bar is basically just a ratchet that has an uber long handle, like 2' long with a head that does not rotate like a ratchet.

Just buy a breaker bar with a 1/2" drive and you will be good to go. The longer the handle, the move leverage you have.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah you can't get it off using Allen . I got mine using monkey wrench ...the plumbers use those . I put a piece of cloth over the bar end trying not to scratch it and put all the ass I had . At the end they budge . The original bar ends got scratch a little but I'm not going to use them any way or if I decide to use them at one point I can polish them with my dremel tool . The problem is that treat is twice longer than on the one you just bought and plus I think they put treat lock on them too. Good luck and pay attention not to twist or brake the clip ons

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Just got my bar ends powder coated and will be picking them up soon. Does anybody have torque specs on this? They were on pretty darn tight - guessing around 50 ft lbs but that's a shot in the dark.
On items that are not mission critical I just trust my gut. Get it tight, just don't strip it. Not going anywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
anybody knows what kind of tool and size to remove the stock bar ends? thx much!
Yeah I thought it was a torn key but it's not its a hex (Allen) key
Not sure of the mm size but it's definitely a hex key that fits
If you try to get a torn key you will not be able to get one large enough
Hope this helps

·
Registered
830 Posts
Weighted to reduce vibration?

I just installed some mirror block of turn signals and was going to add a CRG bar end mirror?

I have to remove the OEM left bar end... so by removing the single OEM bar end and adding the CRG bar end attachment for the mirror, am I going to have vibration issues now because the left will now be lighter than the right?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys... i went to the local NAPA store and got a 3/8 attachment socket wrench attachment that had a 12mm allen tip, worked like a charm. Good $5.67 spent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.