Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Question - can you use your 899 wheel or do you need to move to the 1199's wheel? Many thanks for the inspiration and I'm on my way towards the same project.
You need a different wheel.

If you go with SF/1098/1198 wheels, you'll need to get spacers. Keep in mind, 848 wheels wont do it. Otherwise, if you stick the 1199 wheels you wont have problems. Depending on the calipers you use changes things too. I sticked to the 1199R's calipers and needed a spacer.

Best of luck! :D
@boxerboy2 and anyone else looking for an SSSA, @POCKEE999 has got one for an insane price.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
The 899 still has a slightly steeper rake (.5 degree) than the 1199, but other than that, you are correct that increasing the wheelbase and running a wider rear tire will reduce the "nimbleness" of the bike to some degree. Whether it's noticeable or important to an individual rider is anybody's guess. I suspect it's not that big of a difference for normal street riding, but I definitely noticed the difference on the track between my 1199 and the 899, with the 899 being more nimble, especially in the tighter turns and chicanes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You need a different wheel.

If you go with SF/1098/1198 wheels, you'll need to get spacers. Keep in mind, 848 wheels wont do it. Otherwise, if you stick the 1199 wheels you wont have problems. Depending on the calipers you use changes things too. I sticked to the 1199R's calipers and needed a spacer.

Best of luck! :D
@boxerboy2 and anyone else looking for an SSSA, @POCKEE999 has got one for an insane price.
Thanks Bud!!! ;)
I also have the 1199 rear suspension if you want to swap that out to!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Simply by the fact you have done it - you are deemed an expert on this conversion...congratulations!

What are your thoughts on a standard 1199 SSSA vs an R? Also what was that one thing that you wished that you knew before hand and only found out as you went through the conversion?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you now that youve had a chance for the hoopla to wear off a bit?

Many thanks
BB2

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Simply by the fact you have done it - you are deemed an expert on this conversion...congratulations!

What are your thoughts on a standard 1199 SSSA vs an R? Also what was that one thing that you wished that you knew before hand and only found out as you went through the conversion?

On a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you now that youve had a chance for the hoopla to wear off a bit?

Many thanks
BB2
Haha. The real experts are at AMS Ducati. :)

1.)
Unless you plan on aggressive tracking, leave it alone. W/o experience you may not recognize the difference right away, but invest in the future if you can. Otherwise, you'll have a better experience coming out of a corner and getting on the gas hard. With the right adjustment, you'll feel the stability difference.

2.)
Particularly, deciding on the sprockets to go with. I used the 1199 chain. I am glad with my ratio choice. Yet, I should've explored a little. Either way, it was an upgrade and the replacements will now be cheaper. Also, ensuring that parts were in great shape. I had two delays. I had trouble with the bearings in one of the Hubs and you can no longer obtain them individually. Fortunately, used parts for the 1199 are abundant. Lastly, I did not account for the ABS sensor and that the 1199's brake line is longer, it wraps around.

3.)
Personally, the rake on the 899 is where i want it. If you research the new 1299, i think they even said that they built from the 899's rake. It just feels like it is, a Frankenstein'd 899|1199. Best of both worlds IMO, so a 10 in satisfaction...then again, I knew that I wouldn't regret it from the beginning. Once your committed, it's balls to the walls. I also had a shop that stood by me, that helped immensely.

Thanks for asking :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome project. Very nice looking like 1199s I saw at the dealer just removed the 899 .

This was what I wanted to do from the first day I bought my 899 in July. Now I just need to gather the parts . Anyone with a complete rear SSSA assembly they want to sell? The whole package to save me some time searching . I hate the red rims .

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
That was much cheaper than I would have guessed!

Reactions: alfredogtx

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Awesome project. Very nice looking like 1199s I saw at the dealer just removed the 899 .

This was what I wanted to do from the first day I bought my 899 in July. Now I just need to gather the parts . Anyone with a complete rear SSSA assembly they want to sell? The whole package to save me some time searching . I hate the red rims .
Seeya has a complete SSSA from a bike (1199R) he is parting out:
http://www.899panigale.org/forum/du...-adjustable-swingarm-front-calipers-seat.html

Reactions: Seeya

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Did you fit a 190/55/17 or a 180/60/17 on the rear wheel?
Apparently both options should be possible on the 6" rear wheel, but the 180 would be a stretch and the 190 would have some impact on the TC?
Hey, i read your post. Actually, running a 200. I am currently traveling and thinking of the best way to answer this question, i may try to reach out to my shop for an accurate response. I'll tag you in it once i do...

In the mean time, there are two other members who have done this mod since then. Hopefully, they can chime in on their thoughts!

BTW, i believe a TC 7 is set for a 190... at the end of the day you just need to tune it in to your best preference. I'll think of this further!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah I forgot the 1199 runs a 200, all three sizes should be possible if the internet serves me correct.
I found this on a site:

The Five-Percent Difference | Sport Rider

I just want to keep as much of the 899 nimbleness as possible, but I'm not completely sure a 180/60 tyre on a 6 inch wheel is such a good idea.
Also 190/55 gives you a lot more tyre choice I suppose.

I'm in no rush, so enjoy your travels and maybe someone else will chime in as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Yeah I forgot the 1199 runs a 200, all three sizes should be possible if the internet serves me correct.
I found this on a site:

The Five-Percent Difference | Sport Rider

I just want to keep as much of the 899 nimbleness as possible, but I'm not completely sure a 180/60 tyre on a 6 inch wheel is such a good idea.
Also 190/55 gives you a lot more tyre choice I suppose.

I'm in no rush, so enjoy your travels and maybe someone else will chime in as well.
I would run the 190/55, you get better contact. IMO, if you are or plan to track, I would. You may be sitting higher, but you can always tune the suspension to fit you.

I wouldn't go bigger than that unless you had to. You may not even notice the advantage right away when leaning into a corner.... This is how the mod lust begins, haha. You buy heavier tires, then you buy lighter wheels and a steering damper, etc.... Also, the TC/7 I mentioned before was I read, designed for a 190/rain.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts