Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off the single sided swing arm has been pioneered successfully.
But I'll place credit, where it is due. AMS DUCATI DALLAS's Jordan Rhodes and crew.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with AMS. These comments are from me as a customer.

These gentlemen are tier 1 individuals, who can walk the walk and talk the talk.
That said, I wouldn't trust any other shop with this project, with full faith.

Also, I can't think of a single individual who hadn't gone out of their way for me there.
Genuinely, seeking the best for me. Everything to this date, has been pure fun and pleasure.

The other shops could take a few lessons.

Their work speaks for itself, "impressive." They live|breathe|sweat|bleed Ducati.
If you ever have a chance to visit them, you'll immediately recognize that this is true.

The conversion was done by Jordan R. in a matter of a few hours. There have been a lot of nay sayers,
well it was pretty much routine here and quite easy to do. In the photos, you will notice that the rear brake has
not been set. Currently, waiting on an 1199R's rear brake line, since the 899's falls short. As well as the sensor
and cable housing. The rear hugger will be installed lastly.

The 899 is the bike, that I've been after. That serves my purpose fully. Never has it been a matter of 'all around'
performance or price in regards to the 1199, simply what I want is in the 899. Customized to how I want it.

Although, nothing far from the appearance of an 1199S' LEDs, SSSA and et cetera; it proves the theories and more
importantly it proves itself to me. Except for a few carbon fiber pieces and Ohlin's toys, this bike, in my book is
complete to my standard.

Accomplished not by me, but by AMS Ducati Dallas. Thanks, for my dream bike.

If you have any complicated technical questions, email the shop. I don't pretend to know.

Photos on the next quote.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What are the advantages to switching to the SSSA? How much did the job cost?
Not numerous, unless you need a quick wheel change or want a fatter tire. Or completely in love with Ducati's SSSA :rolleyes:

Labor
2.5-3 hrs of labor

At current market prices (USD)
400 for SSSA with entire assembly
2?? Sprocket kit (optional) will be powder coating this retainer
115 for brake line
45 for ABS sensor
35 for hugger
4 for cable housing
Rear wheel options are many, therefore costs can vary

Est. 1130 w/o wheel accounted

·
Registered
340 Posts
That looks fantastic mate. Reminds me of my old 748R.

Shame Ducati didn't do it like this from the factory.

Congrats on a job well done to all involved.

Did it lengthen the wheel base at all?????

Also is the 1199 wheel heavier than the 899????

And isn't the swing arm itself heavier???

The white 899s look HEAPS better with black wheels.....

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Been awhile since I've logged in -- great to see this come to fruition!

Ride it and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Reactions: alfredogtx

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Alfredo,

Congrats on getting the project done! The bike looks awesome!!!

Were you up there yesterday? (Thursday?) I was contemplating going up there to pick up my take offs, but my wife was at Rustic for lunch, so she dropped by instead... I just missed you and she might have been there at the same time as you.

Anyway, the cost isn't nearly what I was expecting and is about half of what I paid just on labor for my last upgrade!

I am interested to know your responses to all the previous questions... I talked to Nick about the weight issue just before I ran into you this past Saturday and he was talking about weighing the bike before and after. Of course, the wheels will impact the overall weight, but knowing what they contribute, it will be insightful to know the end result.

Great job getting it finished!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Been awhile since I've logged in -- great to see this come to fruition!

Ride it and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
And look who the SSSA dragged in...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks fantastic mate. Reminds me of my old 748R.

Shame Ducati didn't do it like this from the factory.

Congrats on a job well done to all involved.

Did it lengthen the wheel base at all?????

Also is the 1199 wheel heavier than the 899????

And isn't the swing arm itself heavier???

The white 899s look HEAPS better with black wheels.....
I think so too. thanks!

I'll check when I get to the shop what the measurement difference might be.

I used 1199R wheels, much lighter!

If it is heavier, it's unnoticeable to mortals like me. I could pick up the SSSA assembled with a strong finger.

Rizoma pegs. A lot more grip than the stock. I enjoy the stock set? When the next track season begins, I'll be doing the DP rearsets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well done!!!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alfredo,

Congrats on getting the project done! The bike looks awesome

Great job getting it finished!
Thanks! Yeah, I believe I saw her come in.

I would say that three hrs of labor, to be in the safe side. Being in this industry in the past, it could be less or longer, depending on the individual situation.

The parts are what can get expensive. Collected over time and went through used part shops like rubbersideup, Gotham, etc. Sprocket kit is only thing not OEM, I upgraded up.

Not much more I plan to do, a few things, but not much. I definitely need to call the insurance company and increase my parts coverage!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts