Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried out the Solo-DL this past weekend at Motorsports Park Hastings and it's pretty sweet! This particular track was not in the database yet, so I had to "create" the track map, which involved walking out to the start/finish line with the unit and pressing a button for it to log that point. Everything else was automatic, just turn it on and it start recording laps every time you pass the start/finish point. The Race Studio software to download the laps is pretty simple to use. It's very "Italian" software, so a little quirky. The Race Studio Analysis software is used to actually analyze the lap data, and it's even more "Italian" but I got the basics figured out on it. It's fairly similar to the software that we used previously to analyze data from the Nemesis system on the older Superbikes. One huge bummer is it only runs on Windows, not MAC OS, so I had to boot my Macbook Pro into Windows to run it. The DDA software runs on Mac or Windows. Having all of the data channels from the bike's CAN line is a huge plus, and the fact that it logs even more channels than the DDA does is kind of baffling but a big benefit if you're a data hound. Having the brake pressure is a big benefit in analyzing performance, so anyone with an ABS bike is in luck there. For me, the absolute coolest and most valuable feature of this vs. the DDA is that it can show lean angle. I haven't gotten my camera yet to integrate video, but that's going to add another dimension to the awesomeness once it arrives in a week or two! Here's a screen shot of the analysis software. The channels are Speed, Throttle%, RPM, Front Brake Pressure, Lean Angle, and the final channel is the lap comparison that shows the reference lap (blue line) and the comparison lap (red line) and which lap is ahead at any given point. At the top, the corners on the track are noted in red and blue "blocks" so you can see where you're at during the lap when looking at the data. You can also modify the GPS-created map to get the corners specifically referenced to exactly how the track map is in reality. In other words the track has corners that we normally call 9/10, but the GPS data doesn't know that's really two turns, it assumes it's just one turn, but you can change it. Very detailed capabilities that a professional race team would use. So of course we need it on our track day bikes! ha ha!

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Very cool. Hope you have mine on order. lol

Does the software display a GPS map like the DDA? The brake pressure scale goes from 0-150 psi but the max pressure in the data box is 577 and identical for both laps. What's going on there? What does the 6th data point represent?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool. Hope you have mine on order. lol

Does the software display a GPS map like the DDA? The brake pressure scale goes from 0-150 psi but the max pressure in the data box is 577 and identical for both laps. What's going on there? What does the 6th data point represent?
Oh yeah, GPS map and you can modify it to show the corners in different colors AND it shows the colors on the data graph so you can see which turn you're in when looking at the data. There was an anomaly in the brake pressure data once in the lap where it showed a spike in PSI that didn't exist. You can change the scale to be as wide or narrow as you want on each data channel. The 6th graph is the lap comparison, it shows the blue line as the "reference" lap and then the red line is the 2nd lap going faster or slower than the reference lap. When the red line is headed down that means the red lap is faster than the blue lap, and when it starts going up that's where it's slower. Those two laps were only .1 secs apart, so the scale is only .2 secs on that chart, it looks like big swings but in reality those two laps are virtually identical.

We have a few of these in stock now, they're $699 including a data cable to plug into the Panigale CAN line under the seat. We're making those cables ourselves, so it saves you $100 from having to buy the Panigale cable from AiM. We're still waiting on the first shipment of the SmartyCam GP HD cameras that are integrated with the Solo-DL, hopefully have them in the next week or two, and then the cool factor is going to be off the charts! ;)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Did you get a chance to use the predictive lap timer? That seems like a really useful bit of information. I read that you can set up custom screens and display as many as four different data streams at the same time. For example, lap time, predictive lap time, rpm and TPS. Can you do this with the SOLO unit you have?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get a chance to use the predictive lap timer? That seems like a really useful bit of information. I read that you can set up custom screens and display as many as four different data streams at the same time. For example, lap time, predictive lap time, rpm and TPS. Can you do this with the SOLO unit you have?
Nope, I just used the straight lap time with no splits. Looking at the lap overlays is the most valuable way to assess it for me, since I already know the track and am just working on small changes that can make a difference of a tenth or two here or there in one lap vs. another. I've been playing around with the analysis software more, and there's really some cool stuff you can do in there by creating forumals.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Do you still need the GPS that comes with the DDA? Took so long to fit mine I'd like to think I didn't waste my time:rolleyes:
SOLO has it's own GPS. Probably worth the time to remove the DDA GPS and sell the system on ebay.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you still need the GPS that comes with the DDA? Took so long to fit mine I'd like to think I didn't waste my time:rolleyes:
The two systems have nothing to do with each other, so you can leave the GPS sensor installed if you want to get your lap times on the stock dash as well. You cannot leave the DDA plugged into the data port at the same time you have the Solo-DL hooked up though, since they plug into the same connector in the tail. I have both on my bike right now, since I've been testing the Solo-DL and still working with the DDA to compare old lap time from prior years before I had the Solo-DL.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I routed the plug for the bike's CAN line out below the subrame so it's easy to get to without having to take the seat off. This way I can plug in the DDA right there when I want to use it. When I want to use the Solo-DL I have the plug for that ran right along the bottom of the fuel tank so I just plug that into the CAN connector instead.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Does the DDA do anything the Solo doesn't other than displaying lap times on the dash? How do you get the data from the Solo to your computer? Is there a memory card?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the DDA do anything the Solo doesn't other than displaying lap times on the dash? How do you get the data from the Solo to your computer? Is there a memory card?
2 things I've found: The DDA logs the DTC channel, the Solo does not have that. The DDA analysis software will actually show you a google satellite map overlay on the GPS map that is created by the lap data, the Solo GPS map does not have satellite view, just the GPS lap map.

The Solo-DL has internal memory, and you use the USB cable to connect it to the computer to download the data.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jarel - can you post a photo of how the AIM unit looks and how it is mounted? also some photos of the output?
I made my own mount, so it's not exactly the same as if you use the "official" AiM Panigale Mount, but it's in the same general location. Mine's probably 2" farther forward on the top triple compared to the AiM mount. The official mounts have not been available yet, but we're expecting them in the next couple of weeks.

Here's where mine's at:

By "Photos of the output" you mean the output data cable? Or the software analysis output?

Here's an example of the software analysis:

·
Registered
793 Posts
2 things I've found: The DDA logs the DTC channel, the Solo does not have that. The DDA analysis software will actually show you a google satellite map overlay on the GPS map that is created by the lap data, the Solo GPS map does not have satellite view, just the GPS lap map.

The Solo-DL has internal memory, and you use the USB cable to connect it to the computer to download the data.
Can you download the data to a thumb drive or does it have to go to a computer?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you download the data to a thumb drive or does it have to go to a computer?
It has to go to the computer first, there's a "downloader" application that receives the data and places it into your designated download folder. You could obviously copy the file to thumb drive at that point if you wanted to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Which should I buy for my 899?

Ducati's DDA, or
SoloDL

It seems that they both do the same thing for about the same price but the DDA integrates nicely with the bike and records DTC intervention. Is there any advantage of the SoloDL over the DDA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Ducati's DDA, or
SoloDL

It seems that they both do the same thing for about the same price but the DDA integrates nicely with the bike and records DTC intervention. Is there any advantage of the SoloDL over the DDA?

Thanks!
Either will work, here's the basic comparison:

DDA+ GPS Kit -
UPS
* Integrated lap time display on the bike's dash
* Software runs on Windows or Mac

DOWNS
* Only logs certain channels
* Software is limited in analysis capabilities, and glitchy
* Requires mounting of GPS sensor separately under the windscreen, which requires the entire upper fairing and dash shroud to be removed

SoloDL -
UPS
* Much more advanced software for analysis/reporting of data
* Logs every ECU channel, and ability to create custom channels from the GPS/Gyro sensors built into the unit (Such as lean angle, etc.)
* Has built-in database of most tracks in the world, and ability to add custom tracks that aren't already in there
* Ability to integrate seamlessly with AiM SmaryCam for video
* Can be used in any vehicle, so you can move it from bike-to-bike or even use it in a car. It will operate with just the GPS/Gyro channels or if you want full data from the vehicle then you just need the correct cable to plug it into the CAN line if the vehicle is on the list of supported vehicles in the AiM software

DOWNS
* Separate display from the main dash, requires mounting so you can see it while riding
* Need to route wiring from the display up front back to the CAN plug under the seat
* Software only runs on Windows

·
Registered
793 Posts

Ducati's DDA, or
SoloDL

Thanks!

If I could do it over I'd get the SoloDL. I'm finding the DDA problematic and inconsistent in operation. The SoloDL can do a lot more including camera integration.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.