Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I'm looking for some grips that provide some more cushion without feeling "spongy." Any recommendations/favorites out there?

Chris

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Progrip 717 - no question

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks sinjin. Any idea how those compare to the 715s? Progrip has such a broad selection I'm finding it hard to narrow down to something that would fit my need.

I am not sure how all the various models compare, myself... the 717 was recommended to me and I like them far more than the stock. The compounds appear to be the same along the double density line and it seems like the major difference is the style of the grip, however that might be naïve and wrong.

I have heard several best practices for installing the grips and the best ranked in my mind are using a few zip ties to slip the grip on and having a can of compressed air or an air compressor to assist in getting them in position.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sinjin. Any tips for getting the stock grips off? Will they just slide off? How do I remove the bar-end?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am not sure how all the various models compare, myself... the 717 was recommended to me and I like them far more than the stock. The compounds appear to be the same along the double density line and it seems like the major difference is the style of the grip, however that might be naïve and wrong.

I have heard several best practices for installing the grips and the best ranked in my mind are using a few zip ties to slip the grip on and having a can of compressed air or an air compressor to assist in getting them in position.

' using a few zip ties to slip the grip' **** that's genius, will have to try that next time ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks -- I was looking at the Domino XM2s (https://www.motomillion.com/collections/ducati-panigale-899-1199-959-1299/products/domino-xm2-dual-compound-road-grips?variant=22544940803).

Any tips on how to install? I wouldn't even know where to begin.
the clutch side isn't so bad. i used soap to provide some lube, lots of hard pushing

i'm down with Sinjin's zip tie trick, i'm assuming he means put a few length wise between the grip and the bar and slide on. some simple but genius (smack myself of the back of the head).

i took the throttle tube off. i got a bench grinder and ground the ring on the end, and the raised grip tabs. no way i could have gotten that grip on (very tight fit) with those things on

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had the pro-grips but within 300 miles you could see wear. They were super soft and wore very fast. Lasted me a year (21k until 37k, so they lasted 16k miles).

I've switched to these and love them, they are EXTREMELY grippy!! And as of now, I have 63k on the bike and they are just now showing some wear... almost double the life.

Spider PEAK Grip ? Spider Grips

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the pro-grips but within 300 miles you could see wear. They were super soft and wore very fast. Lasted me a year (21k until 37k, so they lasted 16k miles).

I've switched to these and love them, they are EXTREMELY grippy!! And as of now, I have 63k on the bike and they are just now showing some wear... almost double the life.

Spider PEAK Grip ? Spider Grips

Thanks Jessika. My ProGrips just arrived and I have to say I'm disappointed. They're certainly thinner than the stockers. Grip isn't of concern to me; I have great gloves. But I need some cushion; my hands go numb after riding for a while. I'll give those Spider's a look.

·
Site Vendor
194 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
yeah, i found the same as Jess. I had the ProGrips and they only lasted a year... I would not buy them again, unless i couldn't find anything better...
But this time i decided to tor the Domino Grips this time... So far so good. But i didn't ride anywhere near as much now as I did on the ProGripss, so i can't give any opinion on the Domino's till next year.
I can say, there were a ***** to install, which could have been because i had heat elements on the bars making them thicker.

Reactions: darkfire

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Got a pic of those Dominos installed? Or @krissrock how about you?
sorry, for the delay...not on here too much anymore. Lemme check...I may have a video of them when my friend took my bike for a spin...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
here you go,
here's a video i posted right after i swapped my exhaust... you can see the Domino Grips pretty clearly in it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts