Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Has anyone done a back to back track test between the 899 and 848.
We recently tested the 899 with Termignoni slip ons, slipper clutch, Pirelli Supercorsa's, Ohlin's suspension, race brake lines (essentially same spec as the 848).
899 6bhp up on the 848 but weighed 10kg more. Drive off turns not as good as 848. Handling as yet not as good but getting there. Electronics look like being a gimmick for track use like the Aprilia RSV4APRC.
About 1 - 2 secs down on lap times depending on track.
Major advantage 899 probably has is reliability of the engine and less maintenance. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
You think the handling on the 899 is not as good? 848/1x98s felt top heavy and twitchy to me. I think the 899 feels much more controllable on corner entry, but I guess that's just me. I'm looking at doing a track day next month at Road Atlanta, so I'll see how I like it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Answer is simple,
848 5 years development
899 5 months development
Talking to a 899 challenge rider last week,he said the 899 times are still down on the 848 times but he is 100% sure with more development time the 899 will be the quicker bike

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
First track weekend coming up in 2 weeks, I'll let you know! I had two different 848's, one was a fully-built race bike with serious engine mods and the other was a more track-day oriented bike. The race one was a little faster due to more aggressive power delivery and higher rev limit, and it was a little lighter, but still was only about 1 sec/lap faster than the stock 848 with Ohlins suspension and a slipper clutch. My 1199 was right in the middle of those two, .5 secs slower than the race 848. It was just hamstrung by having too much power for our 2 home medium-length tracks, but handling-wise it was better than the 848's once I got the chassis/suspension dialed in. It was slightly heavier than the race 848, but it FELT lighter. Not sure about the comment regarding electronics, considering the 848 didn't have any if you thought that was holding you back you could simply turn all of the electronics off on the 899?

·
Registered
107 Posts
In the uk they run the tri options cup along side BSB and they also do a round with world superbikes,its a one make series sponsored by Ducati,for the last few years its been for the 848,as the 899 has taken over from the 848 for this year only the 848 will race along side the 899 the first round is on April 18th at brands Hatch,so all your questions will be answered.
Ducati TriOptions Cup

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the uk they run the tri options cup along side BSB and they also do a round with world superbikes,its a one make series sponsored by Ducati,for the last few years its been for the 848,as the 899 has taken over from the 848 for this year only the 848 will race along side the 899 the first round is on April 18th at brands Hatch,so all your questions will be answered.
Ducati TriOptions Cup
Agreed when the flag drops the bullshit will stop. Currently lap times well down after Donington test and some race meetings despite some riders having tested in Spain and UK beforehand. 899 slower through the speed traps than the 848. As this is effectively a stock class there will be no development permitted other than suspension adjustments. Not sure where the lap times will come from.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went along,and was talking to a few of the riders,most stated what you have said,but then again in the next breath said they were not pushing that hard,also they are still waiting for bits to arrive and finish being made.That said a few of the rules differ from the 848 ie only Termi end cans allowed the 848s were running full systems of any brand,i am sure mid season the 899 will be quicker,it has to be because it will make Ducati look very foolish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see your logic,cant say i agree.the 848 is a hard act to follow.
View attachment 5521
Totally agree the 848 is probably one of the best balanced bikes ever. For any middleweight sports bike including the 899 to match the lap times of the 848 will be very difficult. The only area I believe the 899 will probably be better is durability otherwise the 848 wins hands down. We will find out at Brands Hatch this weekend.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Totally agree the 848 is probably one of the best balanced bikes ever. For any middleweight sports bike including the 899 to match the lap times of the 848 will be very difficult. The only area I believe the 899 will probably be better is durability otherwise the 848 wins hands down. We will find out at Brands Hatch this weekend.
Unless it rains of course. And that's looking increasingly likely. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.