Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike was delivered yesterday and I have started to look into track parts

i'm going to build it in phases, starting with the minimum things like body work, rear set, protection, etc.

for me this is an entire learning experience both about bikes mechanically and about track riding. started on the track last season with a 2013 Triumph Street Triple, did two day Keith Code camp on S 1000 RR earlier this year. Have been riding eight years started out on a '06 BMW K 1200 R

here are a few before photos mean while ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took the bike to Poconos this past Sunday ...

With 6 miles on the odometer I happily, but cautiously, hit the track with my new 899 this past Sunday. I hadn't made any modifications to the bike, so I brought a set of tools and a few new parts, nothing major, with me in anticipation of working on the bike at the track.

We were unloaded and in the paddock by 7:20, taped and inspected by about 7:40 and at 7:48 all of my buddies swarmed around my bike and helped remove the mirrors, read sets, install the spools, etc. within about 15 mins. It was a great feeling of camaraderie.

I didn't have new rear sets, but I did have new foot pegs since I heard the stock pegs were very slippery. After getting advice to try the existing pegs before changing them, I found that, at least at the level I was riding at, the pegs were fine. As a matter of fact, I forgot all about them after the warm up lap.

I did however find that the skinny body of the 899 was very slippery and made me very uncomfortable. Luckily I did have a set of clear Stompgrips, which I installed in between the next session. IMO, it made a huge difference. I was a lot more confident of getting off the bike with them installed.

After getting the same advice from several past/present race engine builders I decided to break in the new motor right on the track. Since it was a new bike, new track and I was concentrating on engine braking for proper break in I was more cautious than normal compared to when I was on my Triumph. I'm relatively new to the sport so that factored in as well.

I started out in "Wet" mode, but found the throttle response unsatisfactorily choppy. So after a few sessions I remembered changing from Rain to Track on a '14 Aprilla Factory RSV4 made throttle response much more predictable, I decided to change to "Race" mode on the 899. This made throttle response much smoother and predictable, but the reduced electronics intervention made me nervous, so I changed to "Sport" mode in the next session and this is where I happily stayed for the rest of the day. I understand I sound like a nube and on the track I basically am. Next time I will increase the intervention levels in "Race" mode so I can get back to the quicker throttle response. That way I can get better acclimated with it's response compared to the less aggressive "Sport" mode response.

At the end of the day I was very happy with my new bike and I look forward to furthering my Track and Wrench skills with it.

I am in the process of sourcing some track related gear for it, such as skins, protectors, grips, etc. I'll keep the post updated as I progress along.

My next track day is at NJMP Thunderbolt on the 9th. I know that track much better so it will be one less thing to concentrate on, lets see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few photos from the Poconos

A few photos from the Poconos ...

and yes I realize it say 2013 =/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Hey, I think you almost bought my 675R!

Good choice on the bike :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just got back from my first track day of the season on my Street Triple R, had a blast, but got frustrated by the end of the day at getting hammered on the straights by the bigger displacement bikes. I can't wait to head back with my 899 now that it's been broken in. Hopefully I won't still get blown out, otherwise I'll have to start blaming the rider...;) I've watched a ton of races @ NJMP, and hope to get there over the summer. It looks like a MUCH faster track than my home track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.