Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

899 Stock wheels, Marchesinis or no?

33K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  gandor 
#1 ·
Are the stock wheels on the 899 Marches or not? I couldn't find any documentation confirming or denying this... everything just says "lightweight aluminum wheels"

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

#3 · (Edited)
I thought they were just casts made by Enkei like the 848? My 2009 had Enkei rims anyway. I haven't checked my 899 yet personally.

The Marchesini's are the forged wheels, and I believe they are owned by Brembo. I remember the 848 used to have Brembo (not Marchesini) wheels until they switched to Enkei in late 2009.

#7 ·
They're not available yet, but should be in the next few months, there will be both forged aluminum and forged magnesium, available in gloss black, matte black and gold. Marvic is going to have forged aluminum wheels coming out also, we just sent the wheel measurements to the distributor last week so they can start designing them. It's close to a 999 wheel on the rear, but the axle diameter is larger so it needs different bearing surfaces. OZ will also have wheels coming out soon. Carrozzeria wheels are a little heavier (hence cheaper) than the Italian wheels, but still way lighter than stock.

#9 ·
Yes, they will be a 5.5" rear as standard, but you can probably special-order a 6" wheel if you're willing to wait a couple months. Changing the wheels to lighter ones will have no effect on any of the systems/controls on the bike, other than making it handle better! ;)

#15 ·
They are nice but what about the rear rim? That site says that the rear wheel is only for a single side swing arm. But you can get the front to fit the 899. :p

#17 ·
Roughly what sort of weight saving does a set of Marchesini or Marvics achieve?

I am fully aware of the benefits in less unsprung weight and less rotational inertia. A lot of people go straight for performance exhausts but I'm trying to figure out what's best bang for buck. I have a sneaky suspicion that lighter wheels might offer a better performance gain over the pipes. I'm interested to see what others think?

#18 ·
Don't know for sure on the 899 wheels since I haven't weighed them yet, but I saved 9 lbs. on my 1199 base model by switching to Marchesini forged magnesium. You are correct that as far as a performance benefit light wheels will have more of an effect than an exhaust will, at least on the track.

#23 ·
Anyone have experience with BST wheels? Any comments?

BST Carbon Fibre Wheels for Ducati 899 Panigale 2014> Onwards

Home (BST website)

I alluded to this in my above post, but yes! I know it's not exactly the same, but I think it's a great example... I rode my buddies VMax that was equipped with BSTs and it made this heavy cruiser bike handle like a 600cc sportbike! Absolutely amazing and I wouldn't own a street bike without a set.

I have also ridden BMWS1000RRs, Hayabusa's, & GSXRs with BSTs and the end result is always the same; better braking, quicker acceleration, and phenomenal handling.

:)

#22 ·
Sorry, but I have to disagree with some of what you said...

You need to pay attention during a tire change, but I have changed hundreds of BST wheels with no issues whatsoever. You just can't throw it on a tire machine and let the arms run into the rims carelessly... But taking your time and paying attention there are no issues.

I've also seen people put 10s of thousands of miles on rims and have them for 10 years with no issues, so I'm not sure what the durability issues are? Sure, if you wreck your bike you could have some durability issues, but on the flip side I've also seen wheels that were on a wrecked bike survive without any problems.... And I'm talking one scenario where a bike was wrecked at over 200mph.

Great wheels and well worth the money in my opinion. After riding a buddies VMax that was equipped, I wouldn't own a street bike without them!

#28 ·
Hi Jarel and BKinght

Thanks for the input and info. The BSTs sure look like nice wheels. Light wheels will be the first place I'll spend money. Saving weight on wheels makes so much sense.

1) Less mass = better acceleration and deceleration
2) Less rotational inertia = better acceleration and deceleration (a dual benefit of lighter wheels compared to other parts of the bike)
3) Less gyroscopic effect = quicker direction changes
4) Less unsprung weight = better suspension performance and therefore better grip.

All good!

#37 ·
Might be able to buy some really niceMarchesini wheels, never been in use only fitted for a project 600 bike. They look really good, and he doesn't want much for them, less than a grand for the whole set. The seller claim it will fit any bike as long as I get the right adapters for it. The wheels are a M10 design, although I do not know which of them it is other than it is forged alu. I am guessing M10RS Kompe.
Will I be able to make them fit?

#40 ·
@[URL="http://www.899panigale.org/forum/members/jarelj.html"]jarelj[/URL]; maybe you know the answer to my question above? Sorry if I am impatient here, I just got this offer, and must take him up on it soon, as he will not hold them for me if someone else wants them.

Reason for my eagerness here too, is that the price here is really good, and prices for new set in Norway is, well - lets call it about twice the price of what you guys in the US can get wheels for, so if can get a nice set of Marchesini's for less than half of the new price, then I must have them. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.